Coffee over food?

Options
124»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    They are resistance bands. I have a set which I got as a lightweight alternative to weights to try and get a similar workout while away. My set goes up to 200lb of resistance or something.
    However, my bicep curl is around a third of my squat. It might be less even doing a squat at the time time.
    That's a good chunk less than my 'warm up' weight for squats.
    I wouldn't expect it to have any particular strength benefits for legs etc.

Their resistance increases as you stretch them - in some cases this is good, but generally not to the extent that using them on their own is ideal. Used in combination with weights they can 'fill in' easier sections of the weights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Between this thread and the other thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214161-thinspiration

It's painfully obvious that OP does have an ED or is at least on the path to one.

Please seek professional help, for the sake of your health.
    Nah, I just go through phases. I'll probably have forgotten about it by next week anyway.

From personal experience: the phases come and go, sure. But then they stay longer and longer and longer until you finally decide to keep it around. Plus there's a reason you go through these phases in the first place? And it certainly isn't based out of, " I want to be healthy/healthier.'

I also love coffee, though. I would drink it black every single day if I could -- and for a while I did, to replace meals, though I wasn't doing this out of a ED mindset (most times), I just thought it was convenient. However, having anxiety & just being really very sensitive to caffeine (I either feel like I did a line and I am God, or like there is impending doom and nothing will ever be, or ever has been, okay.) I had to give it up, at least on a daily basis. I thought I'd gain a lot of weight because I'd have to eat a -real breakfast- but in fact I've LOST a lot of weight, especially in my stomach area. Coffee has a very strong impact on your adrenal glands = creates stress = creates flabby midsection. By switching to tea, not only have my muscles actually been able to come out a little bit more, but my hair is shinier, my skin is healthier, my eyes are brighter, I sleep better, etc. I owe ALL of this to not drinking as much coffee.

...So basically, coffee is a poison. But it is such a -good tasting- poison :(

What? Coffee is a poison? Uhhh, no. Actually, coffee is extremely healthy, aids in the prevention of all sorts of health issues. As for your claim about coffee causing stress, can I see some evidence of that? I've never read anything about that in any of the studies I've read about coffee.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Between this thread and the other thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214161-thinspiration

It's painfully obvious that OP does have an ED or is at least on the path to one.

Nah, I just go through phases. I'll probably have forgotten about it by next week anyway.

From personal experience: the phases come and go, sure. But then they stay longer and longer and longer until you finally decide to keep it around. Plus there's a reason you go through these phases in the first place? And it certainly isn't based out of, " I want to be healthy/healthier.'

I also love coffee, though. I would drink it black every single day if I could -- and for a while I did, to replace meals, though I wasn't doing this out of a ED mindset (most times), I just thought it was convenient. However, having anxiety & just being really very sensitive to caffeine (I either feel like I did a line and I am God, or like there is impending doom and nothing will ever be, or ever has been, okay.) I had to give it up, at least on a daily basis. I thought I'd gain a lot of weight because I'd have to eat a -real breakfast- but in fact I've LOST a lot of weight, especially in my stomach area. Coffee has a very strong impact on your adrenal glands = creates stress = creates flabby midsection. By switching to tea, not only have my muscles actually been able to come out a little bit more, but my hair is shinier, my skin is healthier, my eyes are brighter, I sleep better, etc. I owe ALL of this to not drinking as much coffee.

What? Coffee is a poison? Uhhh, no. Actually, coffee is extremely healthy, aids in the prevention of all sorts of health issues. As for your claim about coffee causing stress, can I see some evidence of that? I've never read anything about that in any of the studies I've read about coffee.
    I'd love to see the studies showing that coffee creates a flabby midsection, personally. . . particularly when compared to (apparently) caffeinated tea.
  • CardiacLioness
    CardiacLioness Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I'd love to see the studies showing that coffee creates a flabby midsection, personally. . . particularly when compared to (apparently) caffeinated tea.

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/5687
    http://brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/alcohol,_tobacco,_&_other_drugs/caffeine.php <-- basically just information on how coffee works on the adrenal glands.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2257922/ <-- study of cortisol secretion, and here (http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/stresscortisol.html) is a study of cortisol + belly fat

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18854200 more cortisol info.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/37/3/416.abstract <-- coffee & iron absportion
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/07/22/aje.kwt062 <-- coffee & bone mineral density

I'm not at all one of those naysayers of coffee, I don't think it is EVIL (I actually just had my monthly latte today and it was amazing) but I still would consider it a poison. I do agree and know it helps with a LOT of issues -- cancer, antioxidants, and such -- but there is more than enough evidence I've found to show that it DOES have some negative side effects. I will tell you that, being very sensitive to caffeine (my mom has to go to the hospital if she drinks just a bit too much decaf. That's how sensitive my genetics are!), my experience with it may be skewed, but there is evidence here that will show you that it isn't entirely great either. (Well... besides the taste :/ )
    As for caffeinated tea, I'd say it has the same properties. Plus the tannins in tea also inhibit iron absorption.

And again from my own experience: having a diet without coffee, I've lost weight, have improved skin/hair/eyes/teeth, decrease in insomnia and anxiety, and my stomach problems (not entirely sure what it is, think it's a severely damaged stomach lining) are GONE. Having a diet with coffee, the fat will NOT go away (especially midsection), skin breaks out, hair is dry, teeth are gross, I can't sleep, anxiety attacks even if I exercise/meditate constantly, and my stomach hurts all the time.

All I'm saying is if you do drink coffee, be aware how it may influence your body. Just like any other food it has downsides. I just want people to be aware of that, so their weight loss journey can be more successful :)
  • Mommyof3lovesyou
    Options
    Coffee makes it were I am not hungry...for some odd reason. so in my case my morning cup of Joe is my breakfast.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    s8mt5Nx.jpg
  • CardiacLioness
    Options
    s8mt5Nx.jpg

coincidentally I feel the same way about alcohol (being a former alcoholic :X) LOL
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Having a diet with coffee, the fat will NOT go away (especially midsection), skin breaks out, hair is dry, teeth are gross, I can't sleep, anxiety attacks even if I exercise/meditate constantly, and my stomach hurts all the time.

All I'm saying is if you do drink coffee, be aware how it may influence your body. Just like any other food it has downsides. I just want people to be aware of that, so their weight loss journey can be more successful :)
    It sounds like you have an intolerance, or similar, to it.
    These symptoms are not typical to most people.
  • CardiacLioness
    Options
    Having a diet with coffee, the fat will NOT go away (especially midsection), skin breaks out, hair is dry, teeth are gross, I can't sleep, anxiety attacks even if I exercise/meditate constantly, and my stomach hurts all the time.

It sounds like you have an intolerance, or similar, to it.
    These symptoms are not typical to most people.

If that is the case then I encourage everyone else to drink more coffee to make up for the coffee I don't drink but used to :S
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Coffee over Life, yo.

The the OP - check out Alan Aragon if you want some amazing nutritional advice. Doing your own research is the key, but if you wanna start with one of the best sources out there, he is your man. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Yah no x1million

He would be the worst one to listen to.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Coffee over Life, yo.

The the OP - check out Alan Aragon if you want some amazing nutritional advice. Doing your own research is the key, but if you wanna start with one of the best sources out there, he is your man. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Yah no x1million

He would be the worst one to listen to.
    Care to explain why?
  • Rosieannaxo
    Rosieannaxo Posts: 129
    Options
    I used to replace my meals with coffee, I used to have like two big pots a day. You know, college life. I definitely lost weight because coffee acts as a hunger suppressant and I never put cream or anything in. But a lot of things went downhill such as my breath, skin, hair, etc. I say, drink coffee in moderation. Replace the moments you crave coffee with fruits or veggies.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    But the point is, I'm going to be ok regardless of anything that happens here.
    Then why are you wasking our time asking for advice?

It honestly sounds like you are extremely uneducated about health and fitness and there are a lot of people giving you advice that you dont appear to be receptive to. Your diet sounds unhealthy, and goals unreachable at your current rate. If you want to look healthier, stronger, and maybe even a bit thinner listen to what these people are trying to tell you. If you just want to keep drinking your lattes and eating your carrot sticks, close this thread.