Ok to count other drinks towards water goal?

Options
Limebird
Limebird Posts: 19 Member
When I was doing weight watchers, I think they let me count coffee was water and also green tea as water. Is it acceptable to count other non sugar containing drinks towards the cups of water goal? To be clear I do log them individually per meal. But I also count a cup of green tea as a cup of water. Is it acceptable?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sure. The water is still water, it's just flavored.

I log milk, pop, water, tea, coffee, and protein shakes as water. They all provide hydration so...why not?
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I only count pure water as water. I definitely would not count coffee, tea, or other caffeinated beverages since they do the opposite of water, and dehydrate you.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I only count pure water as water. I definitely would not count coffee, tea, or other caffeinated beverages since they do the opposite of water, and dehydrate you.

Not true. Their diuretic effect is very slight. They may be counted as water.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No, they don't. That's an old myth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. I don't count milk as water because it has calorie content, I count. That with the meal that I'm having
  • jshay295
    Options
    Sorry , seems I was misinformed .However the fact remains when you are drinking coffee , tea, or juice, you aren't drinking water. You're drinking coffee, tea, or juice. :S I mean if that is how you want to track your food, by all means go for it. I just like to look back and see 'Oh, i drank x amount of cups of water today' and not get in confused with juice or pop that I had that day as well.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S
  • Achrya
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?
  • Achrya
    Options
    I only count water as water. I don't count milk as water because it has calorie content, I count. That with the meal that I'm having

You can do both. I log milk for it's calories AND click the little water class. They're not mutually exclusive.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I'm not on these forums to argue, he had a question and I gave my answer. That's all I was doing. I'm sorry if this came off as offensive in some way:S Have a good/day/night everyone & happy logging.
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, for some reason this topic came up regarding decaf coffee.
    And she (my doctor) explained that in order for me to drink 1 cup of coffee, I would have to drink 2 cups (twice the amount) of pure water to stay properly hydrated as coffee dehydrates you.

So if your watching what you're eating and exercising, coffee would just counteract your effort and your better off drinking plain water or infused water.

Your body is composed of water of and needs it, "water is water no matter what you mix in it" is just silly because if I mix Kool-Aid i've just negated the benefit of water by adding sugar and other junk and therefore my body and organs won't benefit from "water"
  • Achrya
    Options
    And she explained that in order for me to drink 1 cup of coffee, I would have to drink 2 cups (twice the amount) of pure water to stay properly hydrated as coffee dehydrates you.

So if your watching what you're eating and exercising, coffee would just counteract your effort and your better off drinking plain water or infused water.

Your body is composed of water of and needs it, "water is water no matter what you mix in it" is just silly because if I mix Kool-Aid i've just negated the benefit of water by adding sugar and other junk and therefore my body and organs won't benefit from "water"

...oh.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    And she explained that in order for me to drink 1 cup of coffee, I would have to drink 2 cups (twice the amount) of pure water to stay properly hydrated as coffee dehydrates you.

:laugh:

NO
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Who is "she"? And no..lmao. Kool aid doesn't negate anything. A substance when mixed with water doesn't just evaporate the water out magically just because it got mixed in.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: OP, the point of logging water is to make sure that you are staying hydrated. Therefore, drinks that hydrate you can be counted. This includes things like juice, coffee, whatever. Those are just water with other things mixed in, anyway. What do you think happens when you drink water with your food? We don't have a separate area in our digestive system that keeps water "pure", it's all just mixed in together.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I don't even log water at all, and seem to still be alive and whatnot. Just drink some stuff and you'll be fine.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

Best answer ever.
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry, i just edited, she* is my doctor*

But the sugars in Kool-Aid (or other mix) and would probably defeat the purpose of drinking water.
    When I use water/ice for my smoothies, the addition of the ingredients in my smoothies dont defeat the purpose of water, but i don't usually count it either as a glass of water.
    I have a huge 32oz sippy cup and just make sure i have at least two of those during the day of watrr alone.

But that was my doctor's view regarding coffee, and thart's my opinion of other mixes.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I never log my coffee. I always feel absolutely parched after drinking it, so it just doesn't make sense to me. I don't drink anything other than water or coffee, so I couldn't say for anything else.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry, i just edited, she* is my doctor*

But the sugars in Kool-Aid (or other mix) and would probably defeat the purpose of drinking water.
    When I use water/ice for my smoothies, the addition of the ingredients in my smoothies dont defeat the purpose of water, but i don't usually count it either as a glass of water.
    I have a huge 32oz sippy cup and just make sure i have at least two of those during the day of watrr alone.

But that was my doctor's view regarding coffee, and thart's my opinion of other mixes.

How does it "defeat" the purpose of drinking water? The purpose of drinking anything is to get hydrated, whether it be plain water, kool aide, gatorade, or putting that mio stuff in it or even tea. Adding anything into the water doesn't make it not water.

I bet if someone where to drink gallons of kool aide, the effect and chances of water toxicity would still be present or a possibility regardless of the additive because....water is still a part of the equation.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Kool-Aid is cool just stay away from the cheaper Flavor Aid.....Jonestown Massacre!

Too soon?