WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Lily ... chromium to curb sugar cravings ... you're talking about a supplement I assume ... how much?

Margaret ...interesting about the sugar and magnesium connection ... a light bulb just went on here!

Sandy in ON ... AMAZING NSV!! In a swimsuit no less!

About 8" of new snow this morning ... blech.

Beth in WNY
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Rori - another person asking for the curry recipe!! Sounds yummy.

Alison - we ended up with no snow at all. YIPPEE!!! The sun is actually out and it's a balmy 40 degrees F. So glad we dodged the bullet this time. Like you, I am NOT in the mood for more snow. Can't believe daylight savings time starts in a week here in the US.

Jill in western MA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joani61
    joani61 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a positive outlook after finding this site from the Today show.
    I log everyday which I find very helpful. I am now exercising at least 4 day a week for about 1 hour. I am trying not to weight myself everyday because we all know that when your over 50 usually menopause happens. I started menopause when I was 38 and WOW did the weight pile on quickly. When my husband died 5 years ago I was about 10 #'s from my goal; after he died I gained it all back and then some. I have about 70-80 #'s to go. But I am determined this time to lose it all.

I am 52 soon to be 53 this month, I live in West Hartford, Connecticut.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth in WNY: I’ve never planned more than one day at a time, but I know women who routinely plan a week at a time, and one of them spent Sundays cooking every meal for the week. She thrived with that system. I hope you’re pleased with your results. If you decide you don’t like it, modify enough that you get results and are pleased with your system.:flowerforyou:

Pat in OH: I can believe there are legally blind people driving out there. Have you ever heard of Darwin Awards for those too stupid to live? I don’t want us to be among them and neither does DH.:noway:

JaneMartin: I’m happy your health is finally improving.:drinker:

Plano Teral: Good luck meeting your goals. Don’t let a plateau discourage you when you’ve been doing everything right. We all seem to have them, and they eventually pass until the next one.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Heather from Hampshire, UK: Your salmon sounds lovely. There are so many great ways to prepare salmon. The smoked salmon we made is normally used as an appetizer. As I child I didn’t like any form of salmon because the flavors seemed too strong to me. It may have been the cooking skills of members of my family that was the problem. I sure like it now.:bigsmile:

JB in Portland: Enjoy your dinner & cards. It sounds like a great time.:flowerforyou:

Lois from SW ON: Welcome! Here is my advice: The core of success at MFP is logging all food and beverages, counting calories, and exercising. It is good to take things slowly and learn new habits so that you can sustain your loss. Losing an average of a pound or pound and a half a week is sensible & sustainable for people in our age group. There are plateaus when you do everything right and the scale doesn’t drop. Then you just keep on doing the right thing. Eventually the weight drops if you are persistent.:flowerforyou:

Margaretturk: Your posts are so sensible and refreshing. The kindergarten teacher that you helps so frequently is lucky to have you!:flowerforyou:

Sandy in ON: Congratulations on your fabulous NSVs at the Y! :bigsmile: Sodium was always a huge problem for me, and I didn’t even realize it was an issue. Then DH had is stroke, and we had to control it rigorously. It became a life or death issue so we had lots of motivation. Here is what worked for us: 1. Leave out the salt while cooking, and add it at the table instead. (This excludes baking.) He uses salt substitute at the table and we’ve discovered that Mrs. Dash is a very good seasoning mix. 2. Eliminate processed foods that are high in sodium. Foods we don’t use any more include salty chips and crackers. They were high in calories, sodium, and fat anyway. We substitute things like fresh veggies when we want crunch. 3. Read labels before buying. Self-discipline is easiest at the grocery store, and hardest in the house. When you buy prepared foods, look at the package to see how much sodium. We stopped buying sweet potato fries from the freezer case and began to make our own. It is simple. I hope this gives you some ideas for dealing with your sodium issues.:flowerforyou:

Jill in WMA: Congratulations on your amazing NSVs! WTG.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kay in WI: Re planks: The trainer at the rehab facility where DH used to get treatment told me that forearms are a good choice, and since I hurt my wrist they are the only possibility for me. Some people plank with upper body to knees, and then move on to upper body all the way to toes as they get stronger. It is all good.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I think “starvation” is real and caused by too few calories over a long period of time. “Starvation mode” is another matter. It may be a plateau, and it may be that the person has too little energy to exercise or isn't accurately recording food. I wonder what Barbie and Amanda think about the subject. They’ve lost an amazing amount of weight and kept if off a long time.:flowerforyou:

Joyce IN: I would follow Barbie’s advice and not worry about it unless it persists. I hope you aren’t coming down with something. Insulin dependent diabetics would have to be more careful.:flowerforyou:

Rori: Good luck with the winter weather. DD lives in Boulder County, and I am constantly amazed by the weather there. It can be below zero one day, and sunny and warm the next. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Rose in frozen Delaware: Good luck to you and your DH at overcoming health concerns.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I hope Jake is better soon. I probably won’t be giving up anything for Lent. I have given up so many things for my health that I feel like I’m doing what is needed already.:flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire UK: You are right to check in with your son when you haven’t heard from him in “a while.” I’m glad he got back to you and let you know he’s okay. I’ve never heard of zatar. What is it?:huh:

MA in UK: A Doodle Dash sounds like loads of fun. Enjoy yourself.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Cookie dough ice cream is on my treat list. I do allow myself to have a measured amount once in a while. I don’t do very well keeping ice cream in my freezer, though, and usually get a cone in an ice cream shop. That way I’m not tempted to keep on eating until the carton is empty.:wink:

CPA Mommy: You join by posting, so you’re in. Many of us are grannies, but some still have kids at home.:flowerforyou:

I slept in this morning, and we still haven’t decided how to spend the day. We may visit one more RV lot, just to look. Someone said something about DH being determined to get an RV, and he certainly is pushing the issue. I understand why he wants one, but I am not as enthused, and dislike a list of consequences: DEBT, one more thing to take care of, storage, the uncertainty of whether it would get enough use to justify the trouble and expense…. We’ll take things one at a time. Vision comes first. Then we look at the rest of the list.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • jayagyan
    jayagyan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the lovely welcome!!!!!! :heart:
    Am now positive that i can attain my goal weight.:flowerforyou:
    will take some time to know you all lovely ladies.
    will post here regularly
    congrats!!!! Amanda!!! god bless you and your cute GD:flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Katla - za'tar is a Middle Eastern herb and seed mixture. It is based on thyme, but mine has sesame seeds and other things in it. Mainly Palestinian I think. I like it on roasted veg or rubbed into chicken. I buy it online.
    The salmon dish I consider my own invention, but it probably isn't. I am a good cook, but I usually follow recipes - this one I made up. It has been pronounced delicious by my exacting gourmet son!:blushing: The secret, as with all fish, is not to overcook it.:bigsmile: I like spicy food and the chipotle paste is Mexican. Gran Luchito make it and I buy 3 jars at a time online. You don't need a lot and I put less on DH'S than on mine.:laugh: The hickory smoked drops are an amazing invention. I bake chunky fillets in aluminium foil with lemon juice and seasoning as well for about 15 -17 minutes.

I am so pleased I managed to download a new ringtone for my phone today. It's an old fashioned office phone ring. Love it!:love: Haven't done the music though - I think I'm braver when DH isn't around, I don't want him laughing at me!:blushing: :embarassed:

Heather in pouring with rain Hampshire UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, I don't know if it has been suggested or not but have you considered renting one the size he wants just so that the two of you can experience RV life and see if it is what you are wanting. You are right, when you get to your camp sight and setting it up, hooking up the plumbing, electricity can be quite daunting. He may see that it is more than he thought it would be. Or you may see it can be exciting.

Well the belly ache is gone, I have had this several times. It sounds like an irritable bowel syndrome, or at least my doctor say so, the colonoscopy doesn't show anything wrong. I strain and strain so to have a first couple of bowel movements but I know I will have no relief until I go through the diarrhea. So I am at that stage now, the diarrhea. not the most pleasant to have but it will pass and I will feel fine. It just has not been preceeded by two days of nausea before.

Tomorrow is my birthday, so far not in the celebrating mood although my husband is in the mood for me to pick out a nice place to eat. That may have to wait. Last year I picked Olive Garden. I do well there because I have so much salad and one of their low calorie meals. He wants me to pick Red Lobster. I love the cheddar biscuits and it is really hard to say no to them. But it's my birthday and not my husbands. 64 years old!

Joyce, Indiana where we got freezing rain last night and a lot was cancelled today.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss,

Like his quote, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes . You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
    Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla thank you for your encouragement. I agree about reading labels and being careful what you bring home for the grocery store. When I plank I have to do it with bent knees because it hurts my left knee when I try to do it with straight legs. It does not take away from working the core. Hope you are having luck with RV.

Beth feel your pain with the snow.

Alison great choices at the grocery store.

Heather thanks for the cauliflower ideas. The roasted in the oven sounds particularly lovely.

Michelle I like the not eating after dinner idea for Lent.

Laurel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on 16lb. weight loss.

Barbie I read Salt, Sugar, and Fat too. Reading it helped me avoid more of the processed foods. Since reading it I eat less cheese and given up ice cream.

Lily peppermint tea sounds wonderful on this cold day. I will have Greek yoghurt with jam that is only sweetened with fruit juice like Simply Fruit by Smuckers.

Joyce hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:

Deedee :drinker: Thank you for sharing your 67 degree day. Just hearing that temperature gives me hope.:laugh:

Did make it to church today. Stopped at Kohl’s and found a fitted black blazer on sale. I have looked for one for quite a while. Love those bargains.

Goal:
    To make healthy choices today, so I’ll have a healthier tomorrow.
    2014 word: contentment
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning from COLD Nebraska. It was -5 when I came to work at 5:30 this morning with wind chill -20. I see now that it is -3. The snow and sleet didn't amount to much and glad about that. I was worried I would end up with 300 pieces of cake. DH had a very good turn out for his 60th BD party. Glad it is over as I about worried myself sick over it. Had over 200 people so not alot of cake left. Today I am working a short shift as DGD has her dance show this afternoon. She is dancing to (What the Fox says). I enjoy watching the girls. Today is my BD so going to have a quite evening as all partied out. I did not eat any cake at the party and did have only one last evening. The kids from Iowa did make it so 20 of the 28 grandchildern where there. We kept the new baby Faith last evening as they were taking the others to a inside football game. Enjoied the time with her.

Joyce--Sure hope you feel better and get some rest. Enjoied the car story made me smile.

Barbie--Thanks for getting us started on March and love the bear. I plan to work on my goals for this month in the next couple days and get them posted.

Eileen--glad you are going to see the new DGS. Take lots of pictures and share. I got to cuddle with our newest one last evening that is almost 2 months old. I forgot how little they are.

Katla--Love your daily goal. Glad the smoker was good. Good to hear DH is having his eyes checked.

Christchild2--Looking forward to your news!!!!!!! Happy Birthday.

Amanda--Congrates on the beautiful grand baby. Hope the time to leave for your trip goes fast and the time you get to spend with them goes slow.

Welcome to all the newbies. We are a great group and enjoy getting to know each other and give support.

janniejannie--Sounds like you had a very nice afternoon, GOOD FOR YOU!!

Lizplus--I understand about the going outside. When my son was 2 (he will be 40 in Nov) for 2 years I did not go outside my front door. I cleaned from one end to the other of the trailer we lived in and then start again. My neighbor would come over and take DS outside to play with her kids. Then I started drinking and that made me get out of the house. Not a fun time, DexH didn't care long as he got all his food homemade from scratch. Sometimes I feel like that again and DH helps me so that I do go out. Back then I didn't work so no reason to go out to start and it just went from there. I do have trouble in crowds still.

Beth--good goals, I may have to borrow part of number 6.

Plano Teral--congrates on the new GBm They are the best!!

Sandy--great NSV at the Y. I think it is neat when people I see often notice. Yesterday at DH's party there were family members I have not seen for almost a year and they kept telling me how good I am looking. That is sure good for the ego.

Jill-I am impressed with the amount of weight you put on the leg press. You Go Girl!!

WOW!!! I just figured up my weight loss for Feburary and it was just under 3 pounds. How depressing!! Got to work more on that this month.

Michelle--Hope DH feels better soon. My dad had alot of breathing problems and he said its the worse feeling not being able to get your air. DH is having alot of issues with allereys and the doctor gave him a shot and some pills last week.

Heather--glad to hear DS is ok. We can not help but worry about our children.

Sylvia--hope the DGC get back save and on time. I know even without the weather this is a stressful trip.

You all take care and log every bite.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,764 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Joyce:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
    DH ran a nice hot tub for me,but still feel wiped out,so I am in my jammies:wink:
    DH had turkey ,stuffing and gravy
    me I had cornflakes and almond milk,much lighter meal
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Joyce:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
    Welcome to the new ladies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    More snow last night 4 in.
    Have a good one
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Joyce :flowerforyou:

Happy Birthday Vicki :flowerforyou:

Enjoy your day!

Busy day, aquafit this morning and then the usual grocery shopping, laundry & housework.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Joyce Enjoy your day!:drinker:

Juanita
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicky Happy birthday enjoy your day!:drinker:

Juanita
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

March goals:

Log everyday, every food
    Don't give up, don't give in
    Plan my meals for dinner better
    Move my butt!

Sharon in VA
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies. My goals work better for me when I can express them in actions over which I have control. At my age, that means deciding what to eat and drink in a day and what exercise to do. I find I have little control over how many lbs my body will shed at my age.

I better go, I have company over.
    Renny
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Goodnight, ladies!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    My son just called and said the kids are home safe and sound. He said the roads were good outside of town but in town they are a mess, as usual. They had a good time, so everything worked out fine. Whew!

I have a lasagna in the oven for hubby's supper. I like it because I can freeze part of it and have several meals later on. I don't know what I will make for myself. I'm toying with the idea of trying to make some chicken enchiladas using mrs dash's taco seasoning mix. Don't know if it will work or not.

The dogs are upset because we are not going walking tonight. It is 10 degrees and windy, so we aren't going. Bruno has been really active and destructive today. Every time we turned around he had something in his mouth.

Well, I hope you are all safe and warm.

Sylvia
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Vicki and Joyce
    Thought I'd check in, It's been awhile, it takes me
    awhile to read all the posts, boy this is a chatty
    group. Everyone is so encouraging on here.
    Thank you Barbie for keeping us going.

For, Feb I listened to all the great advice you all
    gave me, log all foods, keep within allotted calories
    and exercise. I followed your advice and I lost 7.5 lbs.

My March goals are
    Lose 6 lbs
    1 hr exercise daily
    Log all food
    Drink 8+ glasses of water daily
    Stay in touch with this group

Brenda from Md