nighttime snacking :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I've been terrible at nighttime snacking over the years. So far I've gone 5 nights without eating anything. When I'm feeling hungry I just ignore it until I fall asleep. It's really tough sometimes but I am determined to get this weight off.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a yogurt and maybe a cutie or an apple! I use to always have ice cream or chips but I just switched it something more healthier!
  • AFGyrl
    AFGyrl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I always have what I call "8'oclocksies" built into my cals for the day. I get up at 0530 and would be famished if I didn't eat then as it's a long day, I also wake in the night if hungry. I always do my cals the night before and don't deviate fromthe plan, it removes the bad decision making which can happen when faced with food choices when hungry/at work.

During wt loss it was 2-3 jaffa cakes, now it's anything I have cals for but usually biccies of some sort.

I don't care that they are empty cals, I care about creating sustainable habits with enough norties to keep me on track. I lost my wt in 2012 and have been maintaining for a year so figure I'm not doing badly.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hubby like to snack at night, so does make it hard on me, he is trying so what i do i plan an evening snack, something healthy 1/2 a fruit and custard or something like that

I hope this helps
  • vixxxen88
    vixxxen88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat dinner until around 8pm at night as after i finish work i go straight to the gym , nights i am not at the gym if i feel peckish usually i have a glass of water and then jump into the shower to take my mind off it as i know its just eating out of boredom! I cleared all my cupboards of chocolate sweets and crisps so the option isnt avaiable to me , if i want a sweet snack its a spoonful of peanut butter , fruit or nuts , failing that i just go to bed lol :) x
  • gold_4
    gold_4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love the idea of closing the kitchen! I think this would discourage my kids from snacking too, I'm sure they don't need the snacks, and neither do I. I'm a dreadful nighttime snacker and regularly sabotage the entire days' good work and willpower by giving in to that monster! I don't even have the excuse that I'm bored/inactive as I am usually at the gym but despite that, I will come home and then start the snacking....I also like the idea of brushing your teeth early or planning the next days food. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, meal timing is irrelevant. Calories consumed at 11pm are the same as those consumed at 8am. Meal frequency is also irrelevant. Take your standard 2000 calorie diet. If you do the typical 5 meal approach, each meal would be 400 calories. On the other hand, if you eat 2 meals a day, each would be 1000 calories. At the end of the day, the energy your body expends to metabolize these calories will be the same no matter how you look at it. You cannot make yourself more "efficient" or "boost" your metabolism by manipulating how often you eat (e.g. every 2-3 hours). That's just not how it works. We don't have a biological clock that slows our metabolism down at night either
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i'd usually snack on berries, low in calories and tasty, i'd also make a large cup of decaf coffee or tea, it helps me relax and get ready for bed.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am a horrible nighttime snacker! I too find myself doing well all day only for it to be ruined by my inner snack monster at night. I think for me its boredom, so my advice to myself is to stay busy. For anyone else, find your "triggers" and start there. If you eat because you're bored then stay busy, the added bonus is if busy means up and moving then you're burning calories. If snacking is because your day time intake is too low and your blood sugar is dropping at night, then play with your dietary needs until you find yourself craving less. Cravings mean your body is lacking something, so listen, just don't listen while tearing up a bag of doritos! I have gone as far as eating an entire bag of mini carrots but at least it wasn't chips.

I agree to keep busy if u snack out of boredom, I will clean or do the laundry or something (double bonus of clean house and less calories lol). I do also try to work snacks in to my daily allowance but I make sure all snacking foods in my cupboards are lower cal. However, I cannot preach, sometimes the snacking monster takes hold and I go for it!!