Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Options
aarondnguyen
aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
f8e73c27-5dcf-4fcd-85a2-63db1bb3a9a9.jpg

This is roughly a 2-year difference with more off-days (sometimes even weeks) than I often like to admit. Consistency is key!! That and progress photos.. The number on the scale is not too important since it reflects many variables such as potential water retention and food intake among other things. A little about me: I used to be a junk food junkie growing up. My parents spoiled me (but they had good intentions). It wasn't until shortly after high school that I started weight-lifting and learning about proper nutrition.

One point I'd like to make is you should never have to suffer on a diet. Completely removing "junk" will result in weight loss, yes. But it isn't the only way -- not to mention, it just isn't realistic for some (including myself). There is hunger (physiological) and there is appetite (psychological). Find your balance and satisfy both. Everything in moderation. There is no "good" or "bad" food -- only bad quantities. I used to buy into the whole notion of eating strictly "clean" food because I thought that was the one and only way to get lean... I also thought I had to eat 5 meals a day, one every 3 hours. So for half a year, I dealt with the constant meal-prepping and countless Tupperware. A typical lunch would be a boiled chicken breast or some lean ground turkey with spinach.

I couldn't take it. And quite frankly, my lifestyle as a college student was making the meal-prepping more and more difficult. The good news? You don't have to eat 5 meals a day. And you can achieve your fitness goals eating whatever you want -- just not in whatever AMOUNT you want.

The majority of my diet today is from nutrient-dense foods. I still eat chicken breast as a main source of protein. Yams have become a staple carbohydrate. But a small portion of my diet is what I like to call "counter-intuitive" food (burgers, cookies, pizza, etc). Everything I eat is logged.

Your body recognizes food as energy -- not so much as "good" or "bad". Don't get me wrong, I feel a lot better powering through a workout when I fuel up on yams as opposed to Poptarts. But in terms of body composition, it really doesn't matter what you eat, provided you track your calories and are getting sufficient amounts of macro nutrients (protein/carbs/fats) and micro nutrients (vitamins/minerals/fiber).

Long-term adherence to a diet in my opinion should have variety. What it shouldn't have is food limitations/restrictions. I've restricted myself from certain types of food in the past and what often ended up happening was I would cave in and binge, thus setting me up for setback after setback.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against eating 5 meals a day or eating every 2-3 hours. Nor do I have anything against avoiding carbs before bed time. (Do I avoid them before bed? No.) What works for me may not work for you. Everyone has different preferences so find your niche and do what works best for you to ensure longevity and most importantly, happiness. I just wanted to get a point across that meal timing and (manipulating) meal frequency does NOT "boost" your metabolism or make your body more "efficient". I mentioned this in another post but: take your standard 2,000 calorie diet. If you eat 5 meals a day, each would amount to 400 calories. On the other hand, if you eat 2 meals a day, each would be worth 1,000 calories. At the end of the day, the energy your body expends to metabolize these calories will be the SAME. This is the thermic effect of food (TEF). It is the law of thermodynamics.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to add me! I'm here to motivate and inspire anyone who has just started their fitness journey or anyone that is currently on it and is lacking motivation to keep going!!

Replies

• honeyspot1
    honeyspot1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you and well said. :smile:
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    this is such a well framed post.. this is exactly how i think :):) congrats on your progress ! :)
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    dude you are RIPPED. congrats and thank you for the well worded post.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Thank you for the great post...should be required reading for everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    psych-shawn-gus-fist-bumps.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    f8e73c27-5dcf-4fcd-85a2-63db1bb3a9a9.jpg

This is roughly a 2-year difference with more off-days (sometimes even weeks) than I often like to admit. Consistency is key!! That and progress photos.. The number on the scale is not too important since it reflects many variables such as potential water retention and food intake among other things. A little about me: I used to be a junk food junkie growing up. My parents spoiled me (but they had good intentions). It wasn't until shortly after high school that I started weight-lifting and learning about proper nutrition.

One point I'd like to make is you should never have to suffer on a diet. Completely removing "junk" will result in weight loss, yes. But it isn't the only way -- not to mention, it just isn't realistic for some (including myself). There is hunger (physiological) and there is appetite (psychological). Find your balance and satisfy both. Everything in moderation. There is no "good" or "bad" food -- only bad quantities. I used to buy into the whole notion of eating strictly "clean" food because I thought that was the one and only way to get lean... I also thought I had to eat 5 meals a day, one every 3 hours. So for half a year, I dealt with the constant meal-prepping and countless Tupperware. A typical lunch would be a boiled chicken breast or some lean ground turkey with spinach.

I couldn't take it. And quite frankly, my lifestyle as a college student was making the meal-prepping more and more difficult. The good news? You don't have to eat 5 meals a day. And you can achieve your fitness goals eating whatever you want -- just not in whatever AMOUNT you want.

The majority of my diet today is from nutrient-dense foods. I still eat chicken breast as a main source of protein. Yams have become a staple carbohydrate. But a small portion of my diet is what I like to call "counter-intuitive" food (burgers, cookies, pizza, etc). Everything I eat is logged.

Your body recognizes food as energy -- not so much as "good" or "bad". Don't get me wrong, I feel a lot better powering through a workout when I fuel up on yams as opposed to Poptarts. But in terms of body composition, it really doesn't matter what you eat, provided you track your calories and are getting sufficient amounts of macro nutrients (protein/carbs/fats) and micro nutrients (vitamins/minerals/fiber).

Long-term adherence to a diet in my opinion should have variety. What it shouldn't have is food limitations/restrictions. I've restricted myself from certain types of food in the past and what often ended up happening was I would cave in and binge, thus setting me up for setback after setback.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against eating 5 meals a day or eating every 2-3 hours. Nor do I have anything against avoiding carbs before bed time. (Do I avoid them before bed? No.) What works for me may not work for you. Everyone has different preferences so find your niche and do what works best for you to ensure longevity and most importantly, happiness. I just wanted to get a point across that meal timing and (manipulating) meal frequency does NOT "boost" your metabolism or make your body more "efficient". I mentioned this in another post but: take your standard 2,000 calorie diet. If you eat 5 meals a day, each would amount to 400 calories. On the other hand, if you eat 2 meals a day, each would be worth 1,000 calories. At the end of the day, the energy your body expends to metabolize these calories will be the SAME. This is the thermic effect of food (TEF). It is the law of thermodynamics.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to add me! I'm here to motivate and inspire anyone who has just started their fitness journey or anyone that is currently on it and is lacking motivation to keep going!!

I think I love you.

And your last name - is it pronounced "win"?
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Excellent post - I wish there were more like you on MFP. And well done with the weight lifting too - you look great.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Great read. Yes, you are right, it is mostly about portion control. In North America, because of the abundance of food and resources, there is a different image of food portions. People in other places feel satisfied with much less.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For a moment, I thought Bruce Lee was resurrected! Amazing results!! You work that thang! Power to the Nguyens!
  • batesmama
    batesmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an inspiring and realistic approach. Thanks, I needed that today!
  • sunnykay2014
    sunnykay2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great post....well said. You look lean and ripped.
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    Thanks for all the love! I'll probably be adding you all haha. And yes, my last name is pronounced like "win". The "ng" at the beginning is the same as the "ng" ending you find in other words, but unless you have a native tongue, it's pretty difficult to enunciate ????
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well-worded post and amazing results!
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I really needed to hear some good, well-reasoned sense today - you're a real inspiration!
  • SpinSpinSugar69
    SpinSpinSugar69 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow great post!
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration!
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    Added you all!! I appreciate you taking the time to read my lengthy post and I'm glad it served its purpose
  • shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. I love your post, thanks for the inspiration.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nguyens represent! Well done man, a great tale and a balanced view of how to see diet versus dieting.

Mark (Nguyen)
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey, great job! You look amazing. Thank you for the post, really well done. Keep making sense and getting it done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!