Embarrassed to work out?

Options

Replies

• Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else embarrassed to work out? I can't afford the Gym and I feel as though I will be judged if I try to learn how to run/jog/bike on the streets, panting and just generally looking like a knob. So I was thinking of doing blogilaties beginners work out calender to try and get in some shape before taking to the streets but I'm petrified of exercising in front of my partner, I don't even want him in the house while I'm doing it, but he just wont leave me be.

How do I overcome my insecurity and just do it? Because this journey is more about losing body fat than weight and that's only going to happen with moving my but.

I know exactly how you feel. I have a problem with this too. I know in my logical mind that no one is going to care - least of all my husband, who is just happy that I am trying to be fitter - but the fat girl in my inner mind still screams at me that people are going to point and laugh because, face it. I'm fat. Right? I struggle with it every day, but you just have to overcome it and push on. This spring is going to be the test, because I'm going to start jog/running at the local park where all the runners go. Just keep telling yourself that you are doing this for you, and these people don't MATTER. They are on their own fitness kick and will probably just respect you because you are trying. Besides, just be proud of you. You are taking the steps to do what you need to do. Congratulations on that! You can exercise with me anytime!
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Really who cares what anyone thinks about your working out. It is all about you, please don't let what someone else might think stand in your way. Walk, jog, run, skip do whatever you can... Good luck...
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I don't want to go or I feel awkward or judged I think of this guy now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

I can't waste my health and life waiting - worrying about what others think won't get me out of this physical predicament. Won't make my life longer for being healthy. Won't, in fact, do anything for me but hold me down in this current state that I don't want anymore.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    yes just do it

I used to be you

Noone cared and now noone would recognize me anyway (true story)
  • illbebe
    illbebe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love this saying "on the other side of your greatest fears live your greatest life". I honestly felt the same way when I started working out. Which held me back but once I realized that I was doing this myself, I got a gym membership and started going. Once at the gym I could tell that most of the people there were there to workout not stair and judge. So I just concentrated on my work out and soon forgot all about my fears. I'm sure that your parter is in this for the goal of fitness and will not judge you. You can do it!
  • grumpyldo
    grumpyldo Posts: 21
    Options
    When I see people working out the main thought that comes to my mind (no matter what they look like) is, "They are out there doing something, good for them!!"
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Is it less embarassing than being fat? I think so. Not to mention.... as a general rule.... humans are self-absorbed. Nobody cares about what you're doing because they are too busy living their own life.... or maybe worrying that you're judging them bending over to wash their car as you jog by or whatever. When I see someone run (regardless of their physical appearance).... I think "good for you". By all means... take to the streets and flaunt the fact that YOU are getting HEALTHY!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way most days. I am so self concious. I find that because of this i work out better at home. So i took the money for a gym membership and bout workout gear for myself to use at home.

This!

Working out at home is excuse proof for me. I have plenty of DVDs, a DVD player, I have equipment, and I have room.....it doesn't matter if my workout clothes are fashionable....no one is going to see me.

Before spending a bunch of money (although weights are always a good investment) .....look at YouTube, the library, Netflix by mail....lots of places to test drive workouts.....find out what you like to do.

If you live in an upstairs apartment ....look for low impact

If you have little room .....watch video clips of your workout first.....anything on a mat is a small space.....lots of small space workouts (even cardio). I use a laptop in the bedroom.....door closed.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else embarrassed to work out? I can't afford the Gym and I feel as though I will be judged if I try to learn how to run/jog/bike on the streets, panting and just generally looking like a knob. So I was thinking of doing blogilaties beginners work out calender to try and get in some shape before taking to the streets but I'm petrified of exercising in front of my partner, I don't even want him in the house while I'm doing it, but he just wont leave me be.

How do I overcome my insecurity and just do it? Because this journey is more about losing body fat than weight and that's only going to happen with moving my but.

Never care, if anything you have people who would help you out.

Also if you go in the morning it's a different crowd then what you think, it's pretty much a older crowd. I know at night there are some douche bags .. but hey .. there are some douche bags everywhere you go ... you don't let them stop you from going to the grocery store right? or the mall?

Some things to note: no one pays more then you at the gym everyone is charged the same you have every right to use any piece of equipment.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. A brisk 30 minute walk will get your heart rate up and will start burning calories. If you feel self-conscious walking through your neighborhood, find a park or a school where you can walk laps around a large field. If the weather is bad, drive to your nearest indoor mall and do some speed walking from one end of the mall to the other. Some malls even open early on certain days to accommodate fitness walkers (stores are closed but mall common areas are open). As you start improving your conditioning on that level, you will start to feel more comfortable upping the pace a bit. Find an area where you can walk (then run) stairs. Multiple story buildings are great for this. Throw in some lunges and wall or chair push-ups throughout the day and work forward from there. Commit to doing SOMETHING every day and you will start seeing results in no time!!

As other people have already said, no one is focusing on you, they have enough on their plate. If anyone does notice, they will probably be inspired by your dedication to health!!
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am/was too, but I started wearing big sweaters so it looks like I'm trying to sweat myself out, instead of admitting I'm just fat. That being said... I've lost 22lbs doing it so it was TOTALLY worth it.
  • jodatoad
    jodatoad Posts: 9
    Options
    I do my running at night. I am a concealed carry permit holder so I don't worry so much about boogey men. I also run in a well lit area on a jogging path. I don't have to worry about who sees my rolls fly. :)
  • ktluex
    ktluex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was too embarrassed to even set foot in the gym, afraid of being judged and watched. I set myself a goal to reach with diet alone before I even thought about a gym membership. Before I got to that first goal I had an emotional meltdown one day and my husband and I went down to the gym and signed up after a tour.

Now, I can't believe I used to think like that! I've come to realize that everyone is too focused on themselves and their own workout to even notice you. Honestly, nobody is judging you, they are just there to do their thing. Remembering how it was for me, I try to smile when I see someone new with that same look in their eyes that I once had. I am so proud of them for taking that step and I want them to continue and reach that goal of theirs.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For the sake of argument, assume that people are judging you. . .

. . . now what?

Continue on with your workout. The ignorant opinion of the strangers on the street did nothing to you. You, in the meantime, are getting healthier. What others think about you will have no impact on you reaching your goals. Go get them! :smile:.

I say this as someone who had to get over those hurdles for herself. I understand that it's not always rational - but just go do it. You'll finish your run and realize you're okay. And then you can do it again.

I still have to follow my own advice when it comes to the free-weights section of the gym. So know that you're not alone. But really, life's too short to care what people think of you while you're going about the business of making yourself stronger/faster/lighter/whatever. :flowerforyou:.
  • Sarah_828
    Sarah_828 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I STILL don't feel comfortable in a gym. For a while I made myself go and just deal with the insecure feeling, but my motivation would wane pretty quickly because it was so uncomfortable and I would just stop going all together. I bought some workout DVDs and dumb bells and started waking up before my bf to work out. It helps get me moving in the morning and I was able to workout by myself (in all my awkwardness). Once my confidence started to build a little I started going to Zumba classes. I still stand in the back, that way no one can see me and I can see how awkward every one else is!
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Smart-*kitten* adolescent boys, nature's most obnoxious creation, seem to be the only ones who feel an overwhelming need to make inappropriate comments. I run into that all the time when bicycling. I've learned to either ignore them or, when eye contact is unavoidable, just give them The Look, possibly with an eye roll. Never, ever say anything back.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know I felt embarrassed too when I first started working out. I think everyone does, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just go out there and do it. Find a workout that seems the least scary to you, whether it's a DVD at home or a jog around the block. You will feel amazing once you've accomplished what you set out to do.
    Best luck to you and happy workout!
  • cmaguire305
    cmaguire305 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who thought of those things at the gym (and most other places too)
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started running. I am overweight so I was really self conscience about how I looked while running. It took me three months to gain enough courage to run on the treadmill. I just KNEW the other people there were silently judging me and how I looked, how unfit I was and how I couldn't run for very long at a time. It was horrible all the thoughts running through my mind. Then, I went and bought running shoes. I knew if I spent the money on being fitted for a proper pair, I couldn't put it off anymore. A week and half after I bought the shoes, I did it. I started running on the treadmill in a gym full of people. It was AMAZING! Everything I had been told was right. No one even paid attention to me. No one even noticed and when/if they did, they smiled at me. Yes, I still cover up in old over sized t-shirts sometimes, but I'm even wearing running gear every now and then. There are larger people than me running, on the ellipticals, and on the rowing machines and so I do what happens to me...I smile at them because they probably felt the same way I did when they started. We are all there with the same goal--to become healthier. You have to start somewhere!! Even if you are running outside (I will be soon too) remember there are people are out there cheering you on as they drive by you or glancing out the window. When I see a runner as I am driving down the road, I shoot them a thumbs up even if they don't see me at least if they did they know someone out there is encouraging them. Sometimes that's all it takes.

You can do it...just lace up and go for it. You won't regret it!!!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one is going to care but you :)

QFT