Who plans their day out?

Options

Replies

• healthysista66
    Options
    I don't. I plan day by day. In the evening I plan and my meals for the day. However, my dinners are pretty much planned since I tend to cook those meals ahead of time.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yup, I find I stay on track much better when I pre-plan. At work, I tend to have the same thing almost every day, so I copy that forward for the week. We eat out a lot, so lunch is often leftovers from other dinners. I have chocolate every day, so that and my gummy vitamins are pre-logged as my after dinner snack. Then it's just dinner and a snack to log. Even if it isn't pre-planned out days in advance, I log it before I eat it. I work in an office, so I log most of my day first thing in the morning.

This also helps me meet my various macro goals (esp protein). So I'll tweak things to choose foods that are high in protein and meet my calorie goals (e.g. peanut butter on a cracker instead of a cookie).
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I usually plan things out a week ahead. Just makes it easier to stick to my goals.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'll do it the night before for the next day - and workouts are generally planned for the full week. Plus, if I know what meals I'm having tomorrow, I can check that I have the stuff in to make it, or if I need to pick something up.

If I know I'm going to be eating out, I'll look at the menu online where possible, and choose what I'm having in advance. That way, I know if I need to have a lighter lunch or breakfast, or maybe try and fit in an extra workout.

I'll tweak it as I go along though and won't beat myself up too much if I go off-plan, but generally it works well for me.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do. I find that I get myself into trouble if I don't plan things out. I try to stay just one day ahead though, I'll plan out tomorrow's meals tonight.
  • baileeadele
    baileeadele Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work the moring shift at a hotel from 7am to 3pm. They allow us to eat free breakfast since we have to be here so early. This causes so much temptation. They first month or so I eneded up gaining weight from the muffins/pastries/waffles ect. So now I plan out my breakfast and lunch before I go to slee the night before. It's usually the same thing everyday but It's filling enough and low calorie. It leaves me with 900 or so calories left for dinner. So I get to eat a large dinner and not feel bad about it.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I do too. I plan out meals for the week on the weekend and then that is what we have for dinner. It makes grocery shopping a lot easier. I eat the same for most breakfast and lunch so in the morning I plan my meals and then I can fill in snacks with whatever is left, if there is any.

Of course there is always something last minute that comes up and things change and that's OK too. It happens.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I plan most days, but its not a hard and fast plan. It just helps me stay around my goal better. I make lots of tweaks to it as i go on with my day:)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan my meals. Makes it easier and convenient.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have to fix and bring my lunch and snacks so I plan that part but not until the morning. If I don't do that - I end up eating from the gas station next door and no good comes from that. I also like to know what my calories and protein are going to be before I eat them (and adjust if needed) so I like to enter them in the morning. I eat similar things over and over though so it isn't hard. I have a family so have food around. I'm not looking around at a foodless kitchen like I might have when I was on my own. I don't plan for breakfast. I used to eat whatever the kids didn't :anon: but now I have a protein shake so no planning needed.

I don't usually plan the evening meal. Life is easier on a number of levels when I do though!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I will know 1-2 meals for the next day which helps me plan the third. Like tonight I know where I am going to dinner and I packed my lunch. I looked at the cals/macros and picked my breakfast based off that. Sometimes things change which doesn't bother me, but some preplanning helps. I never log further than tomorrow though even when I have dinners planned for the week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I do try to plan ahead, absolutely. I usually pre-log my breakfast the night before and have a rough idea of what I will have for dinner in order to plan/log lunch.

For example today I had a small breakfast and lunch with lots of protein in both meals, because tonight I know my husband and I are going to my mom's place for dinner and having a huge veggie-laden salad and pineapple upside down cake.

I pre-log as much as possible. I'm kind of nerdy about numbers and like to try to get my calories within the 0-3 cal range every single day ;-) Of course I never know exactly how much exercise I'll get in, though!
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I plan for the next day so that I hit my macros. Its really helped. And if I know I'm going out a few days from now, I will put that in to see if ill be over.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also pre-plan and do some of my cooking on Sundays, putting each day's lunch into a container. I leave the house at 6:30 am for work and it makes it easier for me to just grab it from the frig and go. I also keep a pack or even keep a few snacks at work, just in case it's 3:00 pm and need something to get me through until dinner. That way I won't be starved when I get home from work and go straight for junk.

And even though I normally don't do my workouts until after dinner, I like to log them at the beginning of the day. It keeps me accountable (I'd feel so guilty if I got lazy and decided not to do it and HAD TO DELETE IT!!!). Logging ahead of time also lets me know how many calories I have left to spread out through my meals and snacks.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I plan my whole dang week out... easier not to cheat and every day has perfectly set macros I can't stray from. There have been times when I would accidentally forget my lunch at home or something and have to improvise but even then I stick close to the same foods anyway.
  • Mollypol
    Mollypol Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always plan, if I didn't I would be even bigger than I am now :)
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    I like to have mine planned out a day or two in advance. But if something comes up, I go with it. The pre-entered plan is a guide, not a straight jacket for me. Having some pre-planning doesn't mean you can't be spontaneous.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i like to know what i am going to eat before i eat it to make sure i stay within my calories and macros. i learned the hard way that logging things after i eat usually leads to going over in one or the other, or both.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I always plan my days- I'm already up to Thursday but am staying with my parents for a few days after that so will be logging-as-I-go kind of thing. But if I'm cooking for myself, usually I have a list of meals I want to try or fancy so squish everything in to get maximum food for my calories- but if I'm hungry I'll add exra stuff or if I don't fancy the banana I've scheduled in, I'll remove it.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Nope?
    I eat pretty much the same breakfast every day so that ones usually a given. But everything else is always different. And what I fancy eating at the time! But today, whilst I ate breakfast I logged my lunch for the first time haha. Only because I made soup yesterday and knew I was having it for lunch today!!

Once I did log my lunch before I ate it. Got distracted and then thought I ate my lunch! An hour later I was starving! Went to go get something more to eat and discovered I hadn't actually eaten my lunch paha!! I'm a special case! :)