Help! I can't seem to get enough protein.

Options
Every time I try and get enough protein it seems like I go over my calorie limit. What are some of the foods you eat that has a great balance of protein to calories?

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Replace one of your meals, or at least the drink with your meal, with a protein shake. Take a look at my diary and see if it would suit you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I said this, too. It turned out that I was eating too much bread/desserts with my protein. Lol!

Turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, Greek yogurt, and high protein cheeses are my go-to's.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, such as chicken breast or sirloin. Do that with a side of veggies for the micronutrients and fiber.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs have exactly the same amount of calories per gram. 4 calories per gram.
  • beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plain Chicken breast- 30G Protein- 250 calories
    Protein Powder - 20 G Protein- around 170 Calories
    Protein Bar - 20 G protein around 200 calories
    2 eggs - 12 g protein - 160 Calores

102 grams in 790 Calories

I usually have chicken for dinner, and a scoop of protein powder for breakfast with an omlet. Then a protein bar for a snack (some days).
    I'm usually way over on protein.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Protein and carbs have exactly the same amount of calories per gram. 4 calories per gram.

Do we have to wait for the point, or do we get to guess?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have really tried to up my protein, and I found that the easiest way was protein powder. I add some vanilla whey to my morning berry/banana/kale smoothie after my workouts (gives it a GREAT flavor), and I make chocolate pudding with chocolate casein powder, almond milk, and homemade yogurt after my nightly workout. There are so many recipes for protein powder that it's pretty easy to find a way to stick it into your meals. Nuts, yogurt, chickpeas, cheese, fish, and eggs are all good things to try and fit into your diet too.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Every time I try and get enough protein it seems like I go over my calorie limit. What are some of the foods you eat that has a great balance of protein to calories?

I have this EXACT same problem. Easy fix of course is to chug protein shakes but I figure I shouldn't have too, right???

I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken/beef--lots of veggies, very little carbs....I eat about 1440 cals a day and can never get close to 100g of protein and stay within that limit.

The flip side is I'm not noticing any issues with being tired and have decent muscle definition now that I'm quite lean (I do resistance training and about 20 mins of cardio 4x week).

Long story short--I'm not worrying about it. I eat what I eat. When/if I start having issues or want more muscle I may try the shakes.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Pretty self explanatory if you read OP's opening sentence. Guess you missed the point.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat meat at every meal. Also, I eat peanuts or cashews for snacks.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Pretty self explanatory if you read OP's opening sentence. Guess you missed the point.

Oh, you're assuming then that her protein sources have lots of carbs too and that is why she is going over her calorie goal without hitting her protein macro goal? I find fat to be the bigger issue with protein considering that it has 9 calories per gram (and much more prevalent in things like meat), but I guess that's just me. :flowerforyou:

Oh. Or are you assuming that she's not understanding that protein and carbs have the same number of calories, and you're arguing that protein doesn't matter?

Or . . . lol
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about protein powder, I usually have 2 shakes a day, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, chicken. I find it hard to get to my protein goal too! The shakes really help and if you make them with unsweetened almond milk that keeps the cals lower.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Turkey, chicken and lean red meats are an excellent source of protein without too many calories. You could also try protein shakes or look up recipes to use protein powder. I put protein powder in my oats... tastes great and it's a good way to get my protein without always having shakes...
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too.

I just purchased the PlantFusion Chocolate rasberry after researching many different proteins.
    I am soo excited for it to arrive because muscle is GOOD and I like yummy treats :tongue: .

•contains 21-22g of protein to support lean body mass
    •and 3.4g of L-glutamine to support lean body mass, immune function and GI health
    •is low in fat (2g) and has only 4g of carbs per serving

If you google it you can find recipes that use protein powders too. I will definitely be looking into that
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oh, you're assuming then that her protein sources have lots of carbs too and that is why she is going over her calorie goal without hitting her protein macro goal? I find fat to be the bigger issue with protein considering that it has 9 calories per gram (and much more prevalent in things like meat), but I guess that's just me. :flowerforyou:

Oh. Or are you assuming that she's not understanding that protein and carbs have the same number of calories, and you're arguing that protein doesn't matter?

Or . . . lol

What? You can't read people's minds?

mind-blown.gif
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to sound like a commercial for PlantFusion but I have been concerned about my protein intake for quite a while. And i don't always feel all that great with such an emphasis on meat, dairy in my diet.

Good luck finding protein sources that work for you.
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is my favorite...yoplait has a 100 calorie version that is just as high in protein as the regular version. I hate plain greek yogurt though so I'd advise flavored ones.
  • jencroki
    jencroki Posts: 30
    Options
    pumpkin and flax seeds, black beans, lentils, ricotta cheese, lean ground turkey, fish, quinoa, almonds :)
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As far as protein to calorie ratio goes it's hard to beat tuna. Good old tuna.
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To the poster above me - THANK YOU. I had no idea how much protein was in a can of tuna (I can see a lot of my lunch ideas being tuna-centric now!) :)