Lent anyone?

Options

Replies

• BethHanson
    BethHanson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am giving up Facebook, it causes me to waste to much time on the computer, once I check Facebook I get distracted and start searching the web and wasting time. I am also giving up the scale for Lent (weighing in only on Sundays, b/c these are not days of lent as every Sunday is a celebration of Christ's death and Resurrection) I tend to focus to much on what the scale says and not on how I feel and then the scale puts me in a sour mood the whole day.
  • 33LoriEL
    33LoriEL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am going to count calories during lent. I'll give up anything over that 1000 calorie mark.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Liquor.
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    I have practiced Lent for years, really appreciate 6 weeks of self discipline. Every year I give up sugar. But then every year I also give up something else. This year, all diet pop, and eating out. I also agree with the person who wrote about doing something good as well as giving something up. I am increasing my workouts, and cleaning the house during Lent.

Whether you are religious or not, six weeks of self discipline is good for your soul.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm using Lent as an excuse to make changes for my well being - I don't mean to offend anyone by 'using' Lent - it just seems like great motivation for me :-)

So I am 'giving up' added and processed Sugar, and following a food plan from Sugar busters. I like the fact it includes Sweet potatoes - as I love my potatoes!! I eat way too much sugar and processed food, and I'd like to use the 40days as a trial period - to see what benefits (if any) I see / feel.

Anyway, good luck to all =)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Catholics only give up red/chicken meats on Fridays and tomorrow (Ash Wednesday).

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) are days of both abstinence (no meat, only fish for your "protein" source) and fasting (two small snacks and one "full meal" are all that is allowed). Fridays during Lent are days of abstinence. And, if I remember correctly what I learned in CCD, it used to be for all of Lent, not just Fridays. Hence Mardi Gras signifying the end of the pre-Lenten carnival, ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. Carnival, derived from the latin carne vale[/] or "farewell to meat.

In the days of "the old Church" (for lack of a better term), meat was a commodity typically only afforded by the wealthy. Fish and seafood was the food of the poor (remember the adage "give a man a fish...") - those who couldn't afford meat would fish for their daily sustenance, eating whatever they could bring in that day. The sacrifice of abstaining from meat is intended to remind one of the blessings they do have.

The practice of "giving something up" is encouraged by the Church, but not a strict enforcement. It does, however, have some basis in Church practices from long ago. Traditionally during that era the Catholic Church performed the Rites of Initiation (i.e. adult Baptism) at Easter. For 40 days (and Sundays don't count, which is why Lent is actually 46 days long), those seeking Indoctrination into the Church were required to show acts of penance and sacrifice to prepare their mind, body and soul for accepting the Church. Hence the colloquial "giving something up for Lent."

It should be noted, however, this is meant to be something to promote inner spiritual growth and to be a true sacrifice. "I'm giving up chocolate!" while a noble and commendable effort, isn't really the point. It's meant to be something that helps you become a better person in general, or, as the Church would say, closer to God. Think "not yelling at your kids" or "performing an act of Charity each day during Lent" or something like that.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic either, but I've done it in years past. Approximately 40 days before Easter I would give up something to honor God and spend extra time in prayer and Bible reading. He delivered me from Pepsi addiction one year. Every time I've done it, I have come away closer to God and "revived". I'm thinking about giving up bread, rice & pasta this year. I don't just do it for Fridays but for every day until the end. Although it may be good for my body, I choose to do it to benefit my soul.

Amen, lady, amen. I'm giving up wine.
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and cake! In the job I recently started I get a 20 minuit break which is during the time dinner normally is and all they have is vending machines so I have started buying chocolate bars which is bad! :P So lent has come at the perfect time :) I once gave up cheese for lent which was really good as I started making loads of dinners with cheese in it so I found out new tasty recipes without cheese!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic either, but I've done it in years past. Approximately 40 days before Easter I would give up something to honor God and spend extra time in prayer and Bible reading. He delivered me from Pepsi addiction one year. Every time I've done it, I have come away closer to God and "revived". I'm thinking about giving up bread, rice & pasta this year. I don't just do it for Fridays but for every day until the end. Although it may be good for my body, I choose to do it to benefit my soul.

^^^This^^^

Every day for me as well. Every time I want the liquor I gave up for Lent, it will make me think of God.
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Alcohol!!!
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a practicing catholic, but this year I will test myself by giving up bread and red meat. and I think it will be a good thing to do during this weight loss journey. BTW, I enjoyed my cheat meal yesterday, although I didn't over indulge, Pancake day (shrove Tuesday) is one of my fav holidays and was extra motivated this morning to see I lost 2 more lbs since last weeks weigh-in! BooYah!:happy:
  • luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been on this weight loss venture since Jan. there really isn't anything i can give up! i already given up carbs, and fats of all kind. I usually only have one glass of wine a week. So i think i will give up behaviors that are not so nice, like road rage? i will try to do small acts of kindness like maybe feeing and expired meter?
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Coffee, I give it up every year AND it is VERY hard to do

My teenage son gives up Facebook! Yup FB!!!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic, but I do think giving up something that is hard for you to give up to spend more time focusing on God is a good idea.
    A few years ago I gave up Walmart (had a serious addiction).
    This year I'm giving up my go to "bad day foods" because when I have a bad day I should focus on God, not food.

I'm giving up Donuts and Mac n Cheese.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am an Episcopalian. We do honor Lent by the study and preparation. I grew up in New Orleans which is primarily Catholic and the old ways of giving something up were practiced. I am giving up cursing. It will be hard.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'm glad to know there are others out there observing Lent and really giving it their all. I'm making positive change and attending the Stations of the Cross every wednesday after work to reflect on what this season is about. I hope to see everyone on this string after Easter with results of their new 40-day habits.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic but haven't practiced in a few years. I struggle with some of the Church's teachings, but that's a completely different topic.

Last year I gave up stairs and escalators. It was AWESOME. I'm doing it again this year.
  • LOUEvoLOUtion
    LOUEvoLOUtion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Social networking...and turning it into a positive by contacting firends and family more by phone. i am terrible at keeping in touch and small talk is a real struggle for me.
    My husband and i are also giving up takeaway food - which means anything that is brought into the house cooked and ready to eat! We do not eat a lot of them, however weekends are treat weekend which usually undoes all the hard work from the week!

i've been contemplating giving up alcohol too - I don't drink a lot but it will definately do me some good...the only problem is people start to suspect you are pregnant, especially as my best friend has just announced it! Easter Sunday will be messy if I give up booze - that'll proove them wrong I guess!
  • ecogranny
    ecogranny Posts: 24
    Options
    :drinker:

Normally I give up something for lent - 34 years ago it was cigarettes and I haven't smoked since. That was when we lived inHong Kong and cigarettes were huge and so cheap and everybody smoked. I am so thankful I did. Whenever I give up something for lent I usually put a couple of Euros in tin each day I resist and at the end of the 40 days of lent give something to charity. Normally one of our 3 kids give up something for lent too so it helps having a buddy to moan to /cheer up. Wine is the hardest to give up as it's part of life here in France so I might do that ......except on Sundays if that's OK.
  • yolandajw
    Options
    I am joining you for lent. I am not Catholic but I am giving up red meat, soft drinks (water only), and sweets. I know its a but we can do this. Lets keep each other encouraged.