Do you log all of your exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonichole
    Options
    I don't log my walking around stores and stuff, but I do log if I go out purposely for a exercise walk. But I also count my job as exercise because I work in a kitchen and i am always moving around and it can be very strenuous. I put my days down as sedentary also.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have a pedal exerciser at work and never log that. My lifestyle is set to couch potato. My fear is increasing my calories.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I log things that I wouln't have normally done before. Like walking for an hour every night, dancing for 2 hours, steam cleaning the carpets...I do not log walking while shopping or to get the kids, cleaning the kitchen after dinner, doing laundry such things as that.... I hope that makes sense....
    I am like the previous lady who said she logs things that she does for exercise.
    I also dont eat al of my exercise calories as the calculation isnt correct.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't log my strength training; I just log cardio exercises.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I only log it if its over 20 mins at a time.

I end up walking 30-60 mins a day to and from the bus/work & shops but I don't log it since its never more than 20 mins at a time.

But if I walked for over 20 mins at once then I'd totally log it cos I'd be "in the zone" for what I consider a significant amount of time.

Meh, that's how I see it.
  • Dalejr
    Dalejr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't log any exercise.
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Thanks. Totally makes sense that I shouldn't log it. So, I won't :) I'll stick to logging my cardio that actually makes me sweat :)
  • ptrppl6
    Options
    I log all my exercise. (Well, maybe not waling to the bathroom!) It helps me to see what's been going on. If I have a busy week, and all I did was cleaning, then I realize I gained again, I can work my next week to do better at eating and exercise. It also helps me to see that everything I do is helping.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't log everything now that I am maintaining. I did however,log everything when I was still losing. I thought it was important to make every bit count.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I log things that I set out as exercise. If I go on a walk for exercise then I log it but if I am walking a couple blocks to the store I don't. I kind of have a 200 calorie rule. If I don't burn at least 200 calories at something I don't log it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I only log it if its over 20 mins at a time.

I read this entire thread so far and I agree with the above comment.

If I didn't that would mean not logging 30-day shred, one of the Turbo Jam videos or lunch-time walks. I use my HRM to ensure calories are most accurate rather than relying on MFP which severely over-counts. If you aren't set for sedentary, I wouldn't log the little walks or little house cleaning. I logged house cleaning only when I spent entire Saturday's doing it but now I have a cleaner so no calories for me there ;)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I don't log my strength training; I just log cardio exercises.
    Holy cow. I life for an hour. I want SOME credit. firedevil.gif
  • I don't log my exercises because I don't like how it automatically adds the exercise calories to your total. If you could choose whether or not you want to add it I definitely would. I work out Mon - Sat, twice on Tues/Thurs because of spin in the morning.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to. I take at least 2 15-20 minute walks during my work breaks. I walk with others so it's probably about 3 mph or so. I don't tend to count it but I'm wondering if I should. It's not really exercise to me, more like a leasurely walk with co-workers.
    Oh I would call that exercise as you went out of your way to get those walks in.:drinker: As others shared it's a good means of tracking exercise even if it's not long walks it's still exercise.

I think you should definitely feel OK about counting it:wink::flowerforyou:

Sounds like many of us have varied ideas on what to count while at home, some do count cleaning, I'd never thought of that but for a big huge housecleaning day I would never fault anyone for logging it with their HRM. For myself I count things more for me and I likely wouldn't log it on here but simply fun to know how much I might burn shoveling or that sort of thing.

Enjoy your walks:flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I log are treadmill workouts and any workouts that I specifically set out to do. I will log long walks outside too, but they are few and far between.

I never log housework or anything I do in my day-to-day life on a regular basis.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I log at the end of the day. I don't eat my exercise cals.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot on my breaks and at home, so I log that. But I don't log my strength training and I know I probably should start.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I log are treadmill workouts and any workouts that I specifically set out to do. I will log long walks outside too, but they are few and far between.

I never log housework or anything I do in my day-to-day life on a regular basis.

You'd be surprised by how much housework burns!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I log the out of the ordinary stuff around the house...cleaning the carpet on the stairs by hand (on hands and knees), washing walls and celings before painting, moving the furniture and steam cleaning the wood and tile floors.... the stuff I don't do but once in a blue moon. I do log my time grocery shopping....because I walk around the perimeter of the parking lot once or twice before I go in! My neighborhood isn't the best for walking alone so I do it at the shopping center. That being said, I only log half the time (or less) and use the lowest setting available (walking 2mph vs 4mph and moderate cleaning vs vigerous). I also use the Wii Fit Plus at home and will log half the time it records. I have my profile set on sedintary, but I think that the calories burned are over estimated on MFP, so I would rather under estimate my time than go over on calories burned. Most of the time I reclaim only half of what I burn, but depending on if I feel really worn out or not I may reclaim more.

It will come down to it being YOUR choice. If you were a total couch potato and are now making an effort to be more active, and you FEEL like you have earned it, enter it. If you have a job where you are up and walking all day long every day, put your self in as a lightly active person and only log the stuff you make an explicit effort to do, like go to the gym or zumba class. It's up to you.