Eat to Live

Options
I just purchased this book after seeing the author speak. I am very excited to read it. I recommend it to you. It is less than $6 for a soft copy to your phone. EAT To LIVE , by Doctor Joel Fuherman.

Is anyone familiar with his work and have experienced his methods? Although I have read and studied a lot about nutrition, his presentation seemed to explain things in a new way that really appealed to me.

Replies

• wenshel7
    wenshel7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded it for free from my public library to my Kindle. Looking forward to reading it this evening. :smile:
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    How can you recommend it if you haven't read it yet?
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the Eat to Live Plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and am in Day 18 and loving it!! See my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/arios952013 - see the archives to go to day one then follow it up.
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I watched him lecture for a couple of hours. The lecture motivated me to purchase the book.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah he was featured in Fat, Sick Nearly dead...the best infomercial out there disguised as a documentry...no thanks

oh and the summary says Fast and sustained weight loss...sure okay.

:laugh:
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the Eat to Live Plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and am in Day 18 and loving it!! See my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/arios952013 - see the archives to go to day one then follow it up.

Does Dr. F. recommend a VLCD? Your current diet is unsustainable.
  • arios952013
    Options
    Again, please read the Eat to Live book by Doctor Joel Fuhrman before making judgments or thoughtless statements. Don't put down people looking for true nutrition. I don't count calories, and I look for nutrient rich foods, whole foods not processed. I also review what is good to eat to avoid cancer and/or recover from cancer. I also know meat has no fiber and clogs arteries. In addition, I saw my cholestrol fall form the 200s to 147 and all my other numbers looking better than ever.
  • wenshel7
    wenshel7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did just scan through the book Eat To Live, and find it looks very similar to the Daniel Fast (not actually a fast, but an eating plan). This brings out much more of the science of that way of eating, where-as in the Daniel plan it is more of a Spiritual journey as well. I did the Daniel way over Lent last year and lost 17 pounds, but did not stick with it after Easter. This ETL is very strict, yes, but weeds all of the processed crap out of your diet. (did he really slam on my processed American cheese in the first chapter?!?! lol). Please read it before you pass judgement. Check out those people's stories of success. Maybe it's not for you, but for others, it may have great potential!
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Again, please read the Eat to Live book by Doctor Joel Fuhrman before making judgments or thoughtless statements. Don't put down people looking for true nutrition. I don't count calories, and I look for nutrient rich foods, whole foods not processed. I also review what is good to eat to avoid cancer and/or recover from cancer. I also know meat has no fiber and clogs arteries. In addition, I saw my cholestrol fall form the 200s to 147 and all my other numbers looking better than ever.

That's great for you. But keep in mind that some people eat meat on a regular basis and have lower cholesterol numbers. And some people who have been vegans for decades get cancer. If Dr. Fuhrman has helped people, that's great! If he's helped you, that's even better. But please note that not a single doctor in the world currently knows with absolute certainty why some people get cancer and some don't!

And not agreeing with you is not the definition of bullying. The fact that you point out your method of choice as "better" is implying that everyone else's method is "worst"! Well, I've got news for you. I don't follow Dr Fuhrman's method, and I've managed to lose the weight I wanted, lowered my body fat percentage, lowered my resting heart rate to an average of 51 and my blood pressure to 117/76.

I'm reminded of a quote:

“Never trust a man who reads only one book.” ― Arturo Pérez-Reverte
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How can you recommend it if you haven't read it yet?

^^ This

Revolutionary Formula for Fast Weight Loss tells me right away. NOT. BUYING. IT.

Slow and steady wins the race!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oh, wow! Yeah, her diet would definitely make me SAD!
  • arios952013
    Options
    I wasn't going to post again, but Dr. Fuhrman allows meat the diet. Again, please read the book before passing judgment. Also read, Forks Over Knife..
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.

That's a great point. But making the assumption that someone has not read the book is exactly that, an assumption. I've read several of Dr. Fuhrman's abstracts and he has some interesting ideas (http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/51). My real issue is the idea of preaching from a pulpit after reading a book. It's like adolescents who discover Ayn Rand and forget that there are other ideas that have as much validity and value.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

There was only one person being catty here...

The rest of us saying ah no are the one's who are familiar with his philosophy and don't agree.

No I haven't read the book I don't have to. I have visited his site, read up on his writings and I don't agree with him at all.

His philosophy goes against everything I feel is healthy. And the dogma coming from his followers as you can plainly see is disgusting...
  • arios952013
    Options
    thevoice1973, I have read more than one book and more than one study, and I didn't feel I was preaching, I was replying to the original post. If you didn't like the name of the post or the information in it, why did you comment?
    Options

I'll reword my response to be more clear. Your current caloric intake is unsustainable.
    Options
    And what are your qualifications? Don't talk unless you know what you are talking about, and I don't take advice from people on the Standard American Diet.

I see you reworded your original response too…:laugh:

"And what are your qualifications? Don't talk unless you know what you are talking about, and I don't take advice from fat people."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    only here because of the poster

"DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh"

because that's effing hysterical.
    the rest <shrug>
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Interesting how people come across as mean and judgmental from the tone of their posts. I think that without the body language to go along with the words we miss a lot of the cues in the communication process. On the other hand it is dis-inhibiting to communicate this way.