Tracking on a Cruise

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a week-long cruise in less than 5 weeks.

Since the first port is Key West, so I'll probably have access for the first 3 days or so. (If not all three, certainly 2 of 'em)
    I might log just to make my FL jealous. :laugh:
    But I doubt I'll have time.

My ship has a fitness center, a jogging track, pools, a rock climbing wall and I'll be dancing at night. I plan to take advantage of those things along with the sun, food, gambling and BOOZE!!!! :drinker:

One week won't undo the months of work I've done.

Enjoy! You can log anytime... how often can you vacation? MFP will still be here when you get back!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    All,

I'm going on a cruise in October but want to keep up with my consistent tracking. The way I see it, I either will have to pay roaming charges on my phone to use my app or pay the cruise line's internet cafe. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I just went on a cruise back in November. It was like 40 bucks a day to use their internet and the majority of the time (depending on where you are going) there wasn't cell service or internet service while at sea. I used wifi when we were in port but the majority of the time I just tried to not over indulge in all the goodies. I also worked out and kept fairly active the entire time we were there. Enjoy your cruise! Where are you going? We are thinking of booking one for later this year as well.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    Didn't log on my cruise. Only downside was a lost all my days for the streak. But certainly wasn't going to pay for internet and since it's only a wild guess as to calories anyway I don't see the point (just my opinion), plus it is a cruise - I want to eat yummy food!! The million miles we walked every day helped to balance the calories.

I lost my streak too! I was close to the 700 days in a row mark when I lost it. Oh well. It's not the end of the world.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Track on a cruise??
    tumblr_m72dc6uVBZ1qf2dg2o1_500_zps1c46ba36.gif
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think tracking would be really difficult, you don't know exactly how the food is prepared... or the measurements you're eating. Just make smart choices and have fun!!! :)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually use my iPad app in "offline" mode and just take a W.A.G.

But I also don't worry too much about it on a cruise. I go cruising to relax, so I treat it as a "general cheat period" where I just try to keep my portions and trips through the food line on the low side and do things like avoid stacking my plate high and trying to keep a generally balanced approach in order to keep the damage, if any, to a minimum. Also, I remind myself that food is available SOMEWHERE on the ship nearly 24/7, so there's no need to stuff myself in one sitting.

And the truth is that you're not likely to know the exact nutritional value, so you're only guessing, anyway.
  • kiki2009
    kiki2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking. Just eating in moderation when I go on a cruise in 2 weeks
  • michellereeve2
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! Honestly, I was more concerned with losing my streak. This is the most consistent I've been and am pretty proud of it.

I'm going to take your advice and enjoy myself. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would:

A) Use pencil and paper, or.....

who am I kidding, I wouldn't track on a cruise.

I was away to Punta Cana a week ago...my logging took a vacation...
  • asbrassard91
    asbrassard91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving for a cruise this Friday and do not intend to log anything while I'm there. I've used the Internet once on a cruise because I had an online exam to take for school in the middle of Spring Break (boo!) and the connection was awful. It was really slow, choppy, and just an overall pain to use anyway. While cruises are often perfect times to indulge, they also offer lots of opportunities to choose healthier meals with lengthy menus as well as buffets. The possibilities for exercise are also endless -- tons of walking around the ship as well as at the ports!

Honestly though, it is a vacation so take the time to enjoy it. You might experience a small gain, but look how far you've come! You lost once, and you can lose it again. Don't stress over logging. Have fun, try new things, make awesome memories, and MFP will be here when you return!
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    There is so much walking, it's crazy. I wore my Fitbit for the first few days (before the battery died) and had my goal set to 5 miles and I would often reach that goal before lunch time just wandering around the ship.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! Honestly, I was more concerned with losing my streak. This is the most consistent I've been and am pretty proud of it.

I'm going to take your advice and enjoy myself. :)

I gave someone my login to make sure I didn't lose the streak (was only 4 day cruise). Granted it was my boyfriend so he had more incentive to do it for me rather than just a regular friend...
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    All,

I'm going on a cruise in October but want to keep up with my consistent tracking. The way I see it, I either will have to pay roaming charges on my phone to use my app or pay the cruise line's internet cafe. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!

By Oct. you will be pretty much an expert on calories, portion sizes and what you should avoid. This is a vacation so enjoy it, eat a few things you know aren't on the OK list but it is actually OK to eat those foods now and then, so during this cruise is one of those now and then moments. I personally like to use the buffets, I then have control over what goes on that plate... mainly enjoy yourself, you can keep track if you want, but I wouldn't stress on trying to find wifi... the cruise ship will have a workout area take advantage of it!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    -Investigate the cheapest internet package- you only need 10-15mins a day.
    -Quick add calories if you're unsure and amend later on, working from a diary. Doesn't have to be concrete form, maybe a simple list. Ticking off your water for the day. Inputting your exercise to add later on.
    -A family friend wanted to count calories on a cruise we went on and she spoke to ship staff who were very knowledgeable.
    -On a cruise there are plenty of fresh fruits (some more exotic than you might find everyday too) and vegetables- they actually look appealing! Shouldn't be too hard to force 'em down with this :)
    -Go by generic database for foods on the site if you want to count calories- they aren't 100% accurate, but ballpark figure
    -Most ships have a gym, exercise classes and running track. Take advantage of the facilities.

-Enjoy yourself. Work at maintenance instead of aiming for weight-loss. Assess your TDEE with a calculator, you don't have to limit to this, an extra hundred calories a day or two won't hurt. For this wait until it's closer to the time, you're body will be different by then and may change your TDEE significantly. Have fun.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7-day cruise over Christmas and, though I was initially worried about not logging, it was fine. I definitely ate more calories than I would've if I were tracking, but I also made lots of use of the ship's fitness center and walked SO MUCH - I had my FitBit with me and I hit 10k steps every day, no problem.

After all that (including Christmas and some seriously unrestrained eating) I gained a whopping one pound. So I wouldn't worry too much - just enjoy the cruise, take a little vacay from your diet, and all will be well!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I cruise once a year and have always eaten whatever I wanted, when I wanted it, and never gained more than a pound or two. I think a lot of it is water weight, because it goes away pretty quick. There will be plenty of opportunities for exercise, walking, taking the stairs or you can check out the workout area on the ship.

If you really don't want to mess up your streak, you'll have to pay for Wi Fi on the ship. The only cell tower you'll have access to in the middle of the ocean, will be the one on the ship. :smile:

Go, have fun and enjoy your cruise!
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't track it so carefully. Take the stairs, walk the length of the ship a few times a day, swim in the pool, and hit the gym each day. Try to be concious about how much you eat. Limit sweets & stop when you feel full, and you will be fine! Remember that veggies, fish and chicken breast are low calorie options!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in January. I also wanted to keep my diary consistent. SO I kept a paper diary log and I stopped by the internet café each day to simply log into the MFP system. Maybe on 5 minutes max each day. Be ready for a very SLOW experience. I guess that's where they think they'll get ya ... but I just logged in something simple like my planned water intake or rolled over my breakfast meal each day or a banana snack. Something that I knew would already be easy to retrieve. Then quickly logged off. That way I kept my charges to a minimum but also kept up my logging streak.

When I got home, I spent a small amount of time logging in my paper diary to include food, exercise and water tracking. It sounds really obsessive, I know, but by staying mindful of my choices as I wrote them down, I did not gain weight on my cruise (actually lost a couple of lbs) and still had a MARVELOUS time. When I got home, the time I took to log in my paper trail was a good data analyzing session for me.

If you're not worried about maintaining your "logging streak" in MFP just keep a paper log until you get back (spiral notebook works great for this) then resume electronic logging.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just got back from our first cruise. I did a lot of research and still went in blind and unsure what I would do. I didn't track, I made mostly good choices from the choices I had, bread n butter at dinner killed me, I ran every morning b4 breakfast. And we walked a lot! And mostly took the stairs. I follow a Paleo plan which was difficult and I did fall off the plan, cause the plates were more like huge platters or trays. I did use it more like a tray to hold a bowl and a salad plate..but... I had a great time and my food wasn't bad, but my slow metabolism was the problem. For most people I should hv maintained at the very least, but I knew that wouldn't happen. I gained 11lb, got back on track the day after we got back and lost 5lbs that next day, yay!

My plan for our next cruise...

..Log everything in a notebook to keep me in reality and not unknowingly blissed.
    ..take a pic of my meal to log in the room, I conveniently forget ;)
    ..exercise everyday
    ..only eat at the Resturants (the portions are reasonable and controlled)
    ..stay away from buffet unless I only use the salad plate.
    ..go dancing for 30 min every night :)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I leave Saturday for ours :) Not tracking anything except my steps which fitbit will do. Been at this a year - i am soooo taking a break :) I will make some sensible choices and then some not so sensible. I fully intend to enjoy myself!! I do not drink so I will not have a load of alcohol calories (or bill lol)...:)

I say if you are concerned - eat what you want in moderation - be mindful of everything you eat and choose the best options. They have gyms so hit the gym. But HAVE FUN!!