Eat to Live

Options

Replies

• thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interesting how people come across as mean and judgmental from the tone of their posts. I think that without the body language to go along with the words we miss a lot of the cues in the communication process. On the other hand it is dis-inhibiting to communicate this way.

You know, the worst part is my original comment was about going to be about how glad I was that you found something that excited you and motivated you to do better for your body. I'm really happy for you and hope it helps you out. You might even look at Dr. Dukan's work as well, as he's had results for a long, long time as well.
  • thevoice1973
    Options
    thevoice1973, I have read more than one book and more than one study, and I didn't feel I was preaching, I was replying to the original post. If you didn't like the name of the post or the information in it, why did you comment?

Sorry if I was not clear in my response. I did not mean to indicate that you had read only a single book, but it did come across as if you believed that anything other than Dr. Fuhrman's work was just "inferior". I'm also glad you read more than one study. Some of them actually require that you have access to journal libraries because you work in the healthcare field, which is why I posted one that is publicly available!

And I liked the name of the post, and I liked what the OP had to say, but found your comment a little preachy. Sorry if we have a difference of opinion. I did not mean to insult you. And the quote refers to people who are inflexible in their ideas and not really with the number of actual books a person has read.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    thevoice1973: thank you and I am sorry too. I am flexible in what I believe, I am just excited because this is working for me. I don't like preachy. I actually looked at the Dukin diet and have his cookbook. I've done the whole bodybuilding thing and I understand nutrition and protein. In fact I still lift and run. You are right it is hard to understand whether someone is being insulting without knowing them or seeing their body language. Just like I never ever intended on calling anyone fat - obviously she is not fat at all. So I apologize. I just believe in plant-based diets. But we can agree to disagree :smile: A little embarrassed I was interpreted to say I called someone fat - I never meant it that way.:blushing:
  • thevoice1973
    Options
    thevoice1973: thank you and I am sorry too. I am flexible in what I believe, I am just excited because this is working for me. I don't like preachy. I actually looked at the Dukin diet and have his cookbook. I've done the whole bodybuilding thing and I understand nutrition and protein. In fact I still lift and run. You are right it is hard to understand whether someone is being insulting without knowing them or seeing their body language. Just like I never ever intended on calling anyone fat - obviously she is not fat at all. So I apologize. I just believe in plant-based diets. But we can agree to disagree :smile: A little embarrassed I was interpreted to say I called someone fat - I never meant it that way.:blushing:

I'm glad you have found something that works for you. I'm always curious about plant-based diets as from a biology standpoint, I wonder how some of the more hardcore vegans manage to get all essential amino acids. And if it makes you feel any better, I should have been clearer right from the start, so please accept my apologies as well!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I just purchased this book after seeing the author speak. I am very excited to read it. I recommend it to you. It is less than $6 for a soft copy to your phone. EAT To LIVE , by Doctor Joel Fuherman.

Is anyone familiar with his work and have experienced his methods? Although I have read and studied a lot about nutrition, his presentation seemed to explain things in a new way that really appealed to me.
    I found Eat To Live back in July 2012 and have followed his eating plan for two years now. Personally I am very happy to finally have found something I can follow for life that also focuses on nutrition and health, not just weight loss. I recommend it, too, based on my own personal journey back to good health.
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for the response. I am very excited.
    I just purchased this book after seeing the author speak. I am very excited to read it. I recommend it to you. It is less than $6 for a soft copy to your phone. EAT To LIVE , by Doctor Joel Fuherman.

Is anyone familiar with his work and have experienced his methods? Although I have read and studied a lot about nutrition, his presentation seemed to explain things in a new way that really appealed to me.
    I found Eat To Live back in July 2012 and have followed his eating plan for two years now. Personally I am very happy to finally have found something I can follow for life that also focuses on nutrition and health, not just weight loss. I recommend it, too, based on my own personal journey back to good health.
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started with the six week challenge from Eat to Live and ended up losing 58 pounds in two months. I recommend eating more plant based food as described by Dr. Fhruman. I avoided animal sources except for fish. I changed to almond milk. I ate a lot of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes. I never felt hungry but frequently craved the richer salt, fat, sugar foods. I have developed different tastes preferences, but I still feel pressure to change back to meat at every meal and simple carbs at every opportunity. It is hard to maintain with our American culture so entrenched against it. Every time I try to improve my eating I gain knowledge and skills.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    He is always on the membership drive for PBS when they are asking for money.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    dwalt15110 wrote: »
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.

I eat Doritos. I'll even weigh those suckers out, and put them in a snack bag. Your attitude shines through here.

Your point about a pound of green beans is moot, because green beans are not Doritos. Is this the advice you give people who want ice cream? Eat apples instead? It just does not work like that for the vast majority of people.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Hoo boy
    Dr. Fuhrman is one of Dr. Oz's cronies, isn't he?
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.

I eat Doritos. I'll even weigh those suckers out, and put them in a snack bag. Your attitude shines through here.

Your point about a pound of green beans is moot, because green beans are not Doritos. Is this the advice you give people who want ice cream? Eat apples instead? It just does not work like that for the vast majority of people.

And gah, the thought of eating a pound of green beans makes me want to gag, I can't even imagine trying to force that down :s
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Really? Please don't look at my diary, you'd be shocked at what I've been able to eat and still lose 65 lbs without buying in to a restrictive diet not based upon science.

If people feel that they need to be super strict in order to reach their goals, fine. I get that. But it's not the ONLY way. Many people on MFP have been successful while still maintaining their sanity.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

:confused:
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    We have that book here. My husband wanted to try it. Water sauté - ing made me burn our wok. And I effing hate kale. I am willing to make a lot of changes in my life to lose weight, but giving up meat is not one of them. Eating huge plates of water sautéd veggies is not for me. I think there was one recipe that may have been tolerable but he had recipes with 15 different ingredients. Even the smoothies were awful. Not impressed. Let me eat my own food sautéed in whatever I want. He's into the memberships and the money.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Calories in < calories out works for everyone. Always.

And Fuhrman, Isn't he the one that talks about "toxic hunger?" LOL He's a regular on Oz, so I personally have no interest or belief in what he says. All credibility is lost there with me.

(And does anyone actually eat an entire pound of green beans in one sitting? I think I'd never eat another green bean again, like that time when I was a kid and ate an entire package of coconut flakes. I couldn't eat coconut for about 20 years after that.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Calories in < calories out works for everyone. Always.

And Fuhrman, Isn't he the one that talks about "toxic hunger?" LOL He's a regular on Oz, so I personally have no interest or belief in what he says. All credibility is lost there with me.

(And does anyone actually eat an entire pound of green beans in one sitting? I think I'd never eat another green bean again, like that time when I was a kid and ate an entire package of coconut flakes. I couldn't eat coconut for about 20 years after that.)

I would eat a pound of green beans in one sitting (I am a volume eater), but they'd be roasted in olive oil or with some potatoes. Just a pound of green beans? Nope.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    We have that book here. My husband wanted to try it. Water sauté - ing made me burn our wok. And I effing hate kale. I am willing to make a lot of changes in my life to lose weight, but giving up meat is not one of them. Eating huge plates of water sautéd veggies is not for me. I think there was one recipe that may have been tolerable but he had recipes with 15 different ingredients. Even the smoothies were awful. Not impressed. Let me eat my own food sautéed in whatever I want. He's into the memberships and the money.

Stuff like that is what makes me think he's really over the top. I'd try a plant-based diet for a while to see if I liked how it makes me feel (I actually started an experiment and might go back to it). But I really don't understand the idea that even small amounts of olive oil must be avoided, especially since it makes vegetables so much tastier (although I am suspicious that it's something related to that).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    darlswife wrote: »

Stuff like that is what makes me think he's really over the top. I'd try a plant-based diet for a while to see if I liked how it makes me feel (I actually started an experiment and might go back to it). But I really don't understand the idea that even small amounts of olive oil must be avoided, especially since it makes vegetables so much tastier (although I am suspicious that it's something related to that).

I think the idea is because it doesn't taste as good, you're going to eat only to extinguish your hunger. I tried "Eat to Live" for a week years ago and it felt like a struggle to eat because so much of the food was raw and the salt/fat content was so low.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Every time I see "Eat to Live" I think of Maiden:
    Run, live to eat, eat to live, do or die
    Run, live to eat, eat to live, Aces high
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Everyone "Eats to live". Kind of an oxymoron. HOW people eat is a choice. While nutrient dense food is a better choice, I'll be damned if I have to eliminate Doritos.
    The issue I see here is that many people who do restrictive diets condemn lots of "processed" foods because usually they don't know how to handle them themselves or blame them as the reason for being overweight or the obesity epidemic.
    The reality is, it's CICO. If people prefer to eat whole foods only, cool. If some like to mix in a lot of processed foods with it, cool.
    But realize that ALL the people who sell books/diets are GREAT SALESMAN. You're supposed to be enticed by what they say, and they are supposed to make it sound better than the next guys diet. That's why it's a billion dollar industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png