Can we talk for a minute about "Cauliflower Rice"

Options

Replies

• juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This post came right on time. I was going to ask how to make my veggie stir fry lunch have less calories. I'll have to try this. The other question is how to make tasty with less sodium. Right now I'm using Kikkomon Teryaki sauce.

I use low sodium tamari or soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and a spot of honey or pineapple. <---- teriyaki
    I personally like to sear a ring of pineapple to go with my stirfry.
    Just look for the soy sauce with the least salt, and you should be good, if you are using dried garlic or ginger, make sure there is no added salt.
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    I think I like cauliflower better than actual rice :P
    I prefer it when it is just roughly chopped though. Whenever I've tried to make it in a food processor, it comes out like a paste.
    Make sure you dry it off really well after you wash it, use the lowest setting and pulse!
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    For me the cauliflower "rice" is more about variety in my meals.

I have recently found that I may be gluten intolerant so I may f- up pizza and try out this cauliflower thing. Im scared though!
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I fry mine in olive oil and soya souse, then sprinkle on some Italian spices. It's pretty tasty and works good with fish.
    Ribs on the other hand, need sticky rice :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Wow, who cares what its called, really?!

Thanks OP, I did this all the time on my last cut, and totally forgot about it this time around.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    For me the cauliflower "rice" is more about variety in my meals.

I have recently found that I may be gluten intolerant so I may f- up pizza and try out this cauliflower thing. Im scared though!
    It tastes nothing like pizza, but it is nice.
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really love cauliflower rice, too. I really don't get why people get all "ERMAHGERD, EAT ACTUAL RICE, NAWT CAWLIFLOWER!" about it. Like white rice is super flavorful and enjoyable? That's a big nope-nope. I think cauliflower rice has more flavor, better texture, and has a lot of fiber and nutrients. Not everyone has to love rice and potatoes, folks.
  • BackToWeddingWeight
    Options
    Marking this so I can try the recipes! Thanks!
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    Like potatoes are potatoes and I will always eat them! But rice is sort of a snore personally. I have a certain dish I will always make with rice, as the cauliflower flavor might not work. I have a friend who has type 1 diabetes and this would definitely make her happy if she came over for stir fry, because she wont have to shoot herself full of insulin!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I recently used riced cauliflower to make a keto-style pizza crust. LOVED it. Too bad my food processor died yesterday :(
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I recently used riced cauliflower to make a keto-style pizza crust. LOVED it. Too bad my food processor died yesterday :(

A food processor is way better, but a cheese grater can do it in a pinch.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I live in Korea and see amazing things made from rice. Sometimes, I eat a meal where everything on the plate either contains rice or is made from rice.

The only thing I see made from cauliflower is cauliflower......if you can find it at all that is.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.
  • tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Umm we make broccoli rice and its awesome; just a nice change of pace and a great way to get in some extra nutrients and fiber :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying this. I've made cauliflower pizza base and loved it and I made cauli mash the other night for a shepherd's pie. It was delish. I've never done the rice though.

Off to the supermarket to get cauli....
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Here's a tasty looking recipe that uses Jicama, rather that cauliflower for rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBei08plIao

Edit: whoops, thought that recipe used cauliflower, it uses jicama. Of course, this recipe uses cauliflower and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXS-Ka-EAf4
  • star13itchs
    Options
    Definitely going to have to try it. :)
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten cauliflower since I was a little kid visiting my granny's house, so I've always thought of it like an "old person" food. MFP has seriously opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of cauliflower. The pizza base especially sounds worth a try. Mmm pizza. In any event, is it possible that cauliflower is the most versatile food ever? Any other contenders for that top honour?
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    I personally love beans and potatoes. I feel like both are really versatile!
    I haven't eaten cauliflower since I was a little kid visiting my granny's house, so I've always thought of it like an "old person" food. MFP has seriously opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of cauliflower. The pizza base especially sounds worth a try. Mmm pizza. In any event, is it possible that cauliflower is the most versatile food ever? Any other contenders for that top honour?