Anyone just dieting (not working out)

Options

Replies

• tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been riding my bicycle to work and to the store, etc. My asthma doesn't permit anything too heavy duty, but even doing a little something has helped.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not really working out atm and I've been just eating at a deficit. I'm losing really consistently so far.

I need to though, my resting heart rate is really poor (85). I'm hoping as I get to a healthier weight it will go down, I have a feeling exercise is gonna be key. I just find it really hard to get up the willpower to just go and do it. I have a weak right knee but I did found a nice cardio exercise that doesn't bother it, it really is just willpower at this point.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can lose weight by not exercising, I used to. Twas a huge mistake. Gained it all back because my metabolism sucked. Looked awful and flabby and clothes fit worse than before I lost weight.

NO ONE is too busy to work out. Literally no one. I have two jobs (well over part time put together) and am full time doing engineering courses, and time makes itself available if I schedule well.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I pretty much lost all my weight without working out, however I wasn't really happy with the end result and now that I'm in maintenance I've started working out and I'm actually noticing that I feel better + am starting to look better with regular exercise.
    I would say once you start then it's easy to keep up a routine so you should definitely try including some sort of exercise most days and you will get used to doing it + you will feel gooooood plus you'll get to eat more foods
  • ona90
    ona90 Posts: 3
    Options
    screw diets!! just dont eat white bread, pasta, potatoes, i avoid sugar, sodas etc. have cold showers, eat 5-6 times a day and drink a lot of green and ginger tea before meals. my advice, eat just from a category of foods, low carbs and high protein, switch from cheese to low fat cottage cheese, white bread to whole grain bread, snack before meals, dont take calories from sodas, be active in every way you can, take stairs, walk, etc. turn this to a lifestyle and u will see changes soon..
    :happy:
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I restarted my diet in January and haven't worked out since then and still lost 22lbs.

However, I will restart going to gym this month, I havent done the past 2 months because I had breathing issues, but breathing got easier the more weight I lost, so its time to work out again :)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    just diet for now and you know what once you have lost some weight, you might find that you have more energy and thus time to work out. In fact all these people that throw themselves into the diet/workout thing to the point of 'I am getting up at 4am to exercise, so if I can do it so can you' or 'I am working 4 jobs and what not, and I have time' etc etc it's great that that works for them, but if I have a choice between getting up at 4 to exercise or sleep I will pick sleep every single time. I might do it once, but then I'd be eating lots throughout the day, because I'd be so tired.

So my advice would be just sort out your diet, be as accurate there as you can be with weighing everything, measuring only the liquids and itemised logging and see how you go. Over time add some extra movement perhaps you know, take the stairs, park further away, go for a little walk or maybe a swim, try to do a push up (or several) each morning and see when you can increase that number. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • isobelo46
    isobelo46 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don,t but i try to walk as much as i can each day ,normally 2 half hours.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nope, lost over 50 lbs by just dieting. These last kilos are a ***** though, so I started working out. I also want to improve my endurance, so there's that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out when I lost the majority of my weight. I'm working out now but only after I lost all of my weight.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Sad and lame.

This thread is sad and lame.

Maybe y'all can all get exercise by piling up all your excuses and carrying them around with you.

Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to weigh less...then diet alone is enough.

Depends on how healthy that you want to be...losing weight alone will aid in that.

However....

For me...

While losing weight was a priority for me...it wasn't the only goal that I had...I wanted to be able to move...to walk long distances...I wanted to be able to climb a mountain...figuratively...maybe even literally. I'll be honest...even being able to get out of a chair without feeling like I was going to die was a goal of mine.

Dieting alone would not have helped me accomplish my goals.

I'll be honest though...trying to figure out the diet thing sometimes was exhausting...add to that trying to figure out the fitness part at the same time almost pushed me over the edge. I will also admit...I probably made it harder than it should be. I spent so much time researching...trying to learn...that there were days that I got frustrated.

I am not supporting their choices...I don't agree with them...but I do support their right to make those choices...it can be overwhelming to try and change everything at once.

It wasn't until I just lost it one day that I finally took control of my life...the path got a little easier once I figured out just how much I could change at one time.

I still have other things that I want to change...the time is getting closer that I think that I can deal with more changes...but...until I am convinced that I can handle those changes without jeopardizing what I have already accomplished...they will just have to wait.

So...once again...if weighing less is their goal...then yes...diet alone is enough. Hopefully...along the way...they will find that exercising will not only be easier but just as valuable as what they weigh.
  • plaz58
    plaz58 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    screw diets!! just dont eat white bread, pasta, potatoes, i avoid sugar, sodas etc. have cold showers, eat 5-6 times a day and drink a lot of green and ginger tea before meals. my advice, eat just from a category of foods, low carbs and high protein, switch from cheese to low fat cottage cheese, white bread to whole grain bread, snack before meals, dont take calories from sodas, be active in every way you can, take stairs, walk, etc. turn this to a lifestyle and u will see changes soon..

This!
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I don,t but i try to walk as much as i can each day ,normally 2 half hours.

You do realize that walking is a form of exercising? I walk every day. If I can't do it outside because of weather then I walk to a walk-in-place video. I started just trying to walk a mile in 30 minutes...then went for a 20 min mile...then a 15 min one. Now I am working toward being able to do a 5k in 45 minutes. I start out great but half way through I start slowing down.

I started this week trying to do the C25K...inside...once I know that I won't pass out and die...I will move it outside. The weather has been cold but I wanted to at least try to get started on it. The program only takes 30 minutes 3 times a week...IMO...it starts with being able to WALK!
  • Annie_01
    Options

This!

Cottage cheese makes me throw up...and while I have had to take cold showers before...all they accomplished was making me more appreciative of a hot water heater.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This!

Cottage cheese makes me throw up...and while I have had to take cold showers before...all they accomplished was making me more appreciative of a hot water heater.

If someone told me I needed to take cold showers to get fit I think I'd rather be fat.

OUT.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Me. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and I walk a lot all day. I'm busy and in pain, so I focus on my diet more. I'm in PT so I learn low-impact exercises and when the weather is a little better, I'm going to start making time for the pool.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

How is that not a diet?
  • hitaks00
    hitaks00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You are walking 3-4 miles a day. That is way more than a lot of other people. That is exercising. Even fidgeting helps burning calories.
    Joining a gym and making a monetary commitment is not always enough to motivate one. But you made a decision to restrict your intake and follow through with it for a while. I have to ask if it was an easy -breeze thing to do. Probably not. Most likely you thought about it for a while, weight in pros and cons and than decided to go ahead and do it.
    Well, I think one needs to be in the right mind set, at the right time in order to make a long term commitment to start and maintain a working out ( cardio, strength, endurance , etc ) schedule.
    Take your time and when you are ready to go for it, you will.
  • TinyBriony14
    Options
    I don't "work out" as such - too busy! I walk around 3 miles a day getting to work, and I also have a horse which I ride every day and care for, so I am active, but no I don't work out!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a diet at all