Can someone please explain cholesterol to me?

Options
Hello

I have just had my cholesterol tested and am in the desirable range (total 4.13mmol, HDL 1.24mmol) but my HDL is slightly down on last year. I want to keep an eye on this so I have changed the settings on MFP to show me my daily cholesterol target but now I'm slightly confused. My goal is 300 but I am not really sure what that means?

Also, I thought nuts were a good source of good cholesterol but I had 5 brazil nuts earlier and they are showing as 0.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    There is only 1 kind of dietary cholesterol and it basically lifestyle and genetics that dictate how the body will decide to divvy up HDL & LDL. Weight loss, a higher protein diet and removing refined carbs and added sugar are good solutions. And the 300gms for dietary limits on cholesterol are kinda stupid and meaningless.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    you are probably better researching this one by yourself, because I have highish cholesterol genetically and the amount of misinformation that gets throw around here on this topic is beyond belief. The best one was from an alleged nurse who said 'it's produced by the body so it can't be bad', I mean so is cancer yet, I still be concerned if my body produced that one.

However I think tracking your fats, particularly your 'good fats' and ensuring you don't have transfats, would be more beneficial then cholesterol, simply because not every food that has cholesterol will have it listed in the database.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    you are probably better researching this one by yourself, because I have highish cholesterol genetically and the amount of misinformation that gets throw around here on this topic is beyond belief. The best one was from an alleged nurse who said 'it's produced by the body so it can't be bad', I mean so is cancer yet, I still be concerned if my body produced that one.

However I think tracking your fats, particularly your 'good fats' and ensuring you don't have transfats, would be more beneficial then cholesterol, simply because not every food that has cholesterol will have it listed in the database.
    Where does the 35,000 mg's that you have circulating in your body right now come from, I wonder?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    unfortunately cholesterol is a misunderstood good guy. We actually need cholesterol and in healthy individually we should definitely NOT be trying to limit it.

It's such a vital lipid that our body produces between 1000 - 1400mg a day to make sure we have enough of it. And here's another thing - our body regulates it for us. If we don't eat enough dietary cholesterol our body creates more and if we eat too much our body creates less - that's pretty impressive.

I would also suggest doing a bit of research on cholesterol and what foods you are best advised to eat and also ones to avoid.

Also IF dieting is a great way of improving the size of your LDL particles (the bigger they are the better).

Good luck.
  • Geckoqueen
    Geckoqueen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying.

The person I saw yesterday was really good at explaining what cholesterol does and I am definitely not trying to limit it (the opposite in fact), its the numbers and what they mean that I was struggling.

I will definitely do some further reading on good food choices - this is something I am doing for my general health anyway. Looking over the last few days It would seem that the foods that gave me cholesterol were meats and cheese (that'll be the protein).

Thanks for replying,
    Lisa
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Yes, definitely continue to eat those foods.

Good luck.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you smoke, quitting will help.
    Exercise helps as well.
  • bvmiller525
    bvmiller525 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Also IF dieting is a great way of improving the size of your LDL particles (the bigger they are the better).

Good luck.

Actually, the smaller the better. HDL is High-density lipoprotein, meaning dense and small. LDL is low-density lipoprotein, meaning large and less dense. HDL carries more protein and less cholesterol and triglycerides than LDL and also "scavenges" the bad LDL and takes it back to the liver for removal.

Foods that can increase the numbers and efficiency of HDL are nuts (walnuts, almonds, other nuts), healthy oils (olive and canola), and fish (salmon, halibut, etc). There are other foods, but those are the biggies. Also exercise has a pretty significant positive impact on HDL levels.

Foods that can help decrease your LDL levels are foods high in soluble fiber (oats, oat bran, kidney beans, apples, prunes, others) as well as eliminating trans fats.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Not too sure where you are getting your information regarding LDL particle size (ideal)?

Attached is a study you may find of interest - feel free to reciprocate (I like reading new studies).

Cheers. :smile:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880415
  • bvmiller525
    bvmiller525 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not too sure where you are getting your information regarding LDL particle size (ideal)?

Attached is a study you may find of interest - feel free to reciprocate (I like reading new studies).

Cheers. :smile:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880415

Sorry, I misread you as meaning lipoproteins overall (and the bigger the better), not just LDL. Yes, LDL is more easily cleared from the body as "big fluffy" LDL particles.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are confusing dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The types of fat and carbohydrates you eat often affects your blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have just had my cholesterol tested and am in the desirable range (total 4.13mmol, HDL 1.24mmol) but my HDL is slightly down on last year. I want to keep an eye on this so I have changed the settings on MFP to show me my daily cholesterol target but now I'm slightly confused. My goal is 300 but I am not really sure what that means?

Also, I thought nuts were a good source of good cholesterol but I had 5 brazil nuts earlier and they are showing as 0.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

This 9 part series will tell you anything you could ever want to know about cholesterol.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    You are confusing dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The types of fat and carbohydrates you eat often affects your blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/

Thanks for the link.

My understanding of controlling you diet is not the control the cholesterol levels but to the foods that promote inflammation and oxidation.

So cutting back on refined sugar, simple carbs and trans fats. :smile:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Maybe the NIH can help. This is a pretty good article:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/cholesterol.html
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I recently have had my cholesterol done and need to make a few changes as well. I am still working on finding all the correct info but from my understanding to lower overall cholesterol you look at saturated/trans fat, which is found in things like meat, cheese and a lot of processed foods. I am working to stick with leaner meats and limit cheese.

To increase HDL (the good stuff) I was told to eat the healthy fats, avocados olive oil nuts etc, and continue working out.

ETA: Thanks for all the links. I am going to take a look at them as well!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Maybe this will help.

Having read through it I do think it's conclusions about saturated fats are out of date and incorrect. I personally would suggest moving away from margarine and back to butter. IMHO :smile:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Hello

Thanks in advance

Lisa

This 9 part series will tell you anything you could ever want to know about cholesterol.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

Thanks Jen - nice article.
  • bethallegretto
    Options
    Your blood levels of 4.13 mmol/L total and 1.24 mmol/L convert to 160 mg/dl total and 50 mg/dl HDL (what Americans are used to seeing reported on lab results). This is all good. Recommendations are for under 200 total and above 40 for HDL. Your ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is 3.2 - recommended is below 3.5. So, you probably don't need to change the way you're eating.

If you want to increase HDL, aerobic exercise and moderate alcohol intake have been shown to increase HDL. Certain other foods may also increase HDL. - Listed here: http://www.webmd.com/heart/how-to-boost-your-good-cholesterol
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I recently have had my cholesterol done and need to make a few changes as well. I am still working on finding all the correct info but from my understanding to lower overall cholesterol you look at saturated/trans fat, which is found in things like meat, cheese and a lot of processed foods. I am working to stick with leaner meats and limit cheese.

To increase HDL (the good stuff) I was told to eat the healthy fats, avocados olive oil nuts etc, and continue working out.

ETA: Thanks for all the links. I am going to take a look at them as well!

You really do not want to lower your cholesterol levels. Cholesterol is vital to our bodies.

Also I would also suggest cutting back on trans fats, but not on Sat fats (sat fats are good for us).

The reason to cut back on trans fats is not to control your cholesterol production levels but to reduce the oxidation of LDL's in your body (they are at there most harmful to us when they are oxidised). Also to help reduce inflammation, which in turn reduces the amount of LDL's.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Harvard's dietary recommendations are plant bias, so it popular with people that share those opinions.

Maybe this will help.

Having read through it I do think it's conclusions about saturated fats are out of date and incorrect. I personally would suggest moving away from margarine and back to butter. IMHO :smile:

Effect of a high saturated fat and no-starch diet on serum lipid subfractions in patients with documented atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14601690