WHITES VS YOLKS??

Options
Okay, so I've been told many, many, MANY different things. I've accepted that that's just how things are in the fitness world. There are so many contradicting informations that I literally get so confused!

I'm vegetarian, so I really do count on eating eggs to kinda fill the bowl and add the protein. But a lot of people say I should only eat whites but others say it's fine?

Replies

• HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    vegetarians eat eggs?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    veggie eating eggs??

anyway- aside from that- eat the whole egg- you miss out by just eating the whites.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg.

Some people I know do eat one whole egg and then mix in 2-3 (or more) egg whites to up their protein count without adding lots of calories.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the best part.
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians eat animal by-products. Not meat.
    Vegans are the ones who eat no animal by-products.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason to not eat the yolk, it makes sense to eat the yolk.
  • saraovoxo
    Options
    Yeah I figured I shouldn't be worried about eating the yolk but it's just been on my mind and wanted to set the record straight kind of thing.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I didn't realize egg was considered bi-product.
  • HikerRR50
    Options
    I didn't realize egg was considered bi-product.

same
  • HikerRR50
    Options
    chicken wings fair game too? jk
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    All of the actual nutrients are in the yolk. You can blame the '80s for the "eggs are bad" bull****. It was largely due to the cholesterol content of the yolk...subsequently, numerous studies have illustrated that dietary cholesterol has very little to do with blood serum levels. Your liver produces way more cholesterol than you could ever consume in your diet.

There are a few, very rare instances where people are hypersensitive to dietary cholesterol..but it is exceedingly rare and I'm pretty sure you would know by now if you had this issue.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    chicken wings fair game too? jk

nuggest must be fair game too!!! definitely a bi product!
  • saraovoxo
    Options
    All of the actual nutrients are in the yolk. You can blame the '80s for the "eggs are bad" bull****. It was largely due to the cholesterol content of the yolk...subsequently, numerous studies have illustrated that dietary cholesterol has very little to do with blood serum levels. Your liver produces way more cholesterol than you could ever consume in your diet.

There are a few, very rare instances where people are hypersensitive to dietary cholesterol..but it is exceedingly rare and I'm pretty sure you would know by now if you had this issue.

Thank you! This is what I wanted to hear :)

& yes people, eggs are an animal by-product as they come from a chicken and all other animals that lay eggs. Case closed.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg because I feel bad throwing away the yolk.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    the whole egg is very high in cholesterol

Amount Per 1 large (50 g)
    Calories 78
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 5 g 7%
    Saturated fat 1.6 g 8%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 2 g
    Cholesterol 187 mg 62%
    Sodium 62 mg 2%
    Potassium 63 mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0.6 g
    Protein 6 g 12%
    Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 3%
    Vitamin D 11% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Vitamin B-12 10% Magnesium 1%

NOW JUST THE WHITE

Nutrition Facts
    Egg, white, raw
    Amount Per 1 large (33 g)
    Calories 17
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 55 mg 2%
    Potassium 54 mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0.2 g
    Protein 3.6 g 7%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 1%
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are good for your skin and hair too.

Pretty sure only people with existing cholesterol problems need to worry about it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    But the cholesterol in The yolk doesn't become cholesterol in your blood....

Eat the whole egg if it fits your targets.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian but mostly vegetarian and I eat the whole egg - the yolk is definitely the best part! Plus my cholesterol is fine. It's not like I eat a ton of eggs (usually only 1 or 2 if I'm having them for breakfast, which I only do a couple times a week), but I do count on them for protein.

And yes, much like milk, cheese, honey, etc., vegetarians eat eggs, since almost all the ones you find in the store are UNFERTILIZED, therefore no animal died (not even an adorable baby chicken :wink: ) for me to eat that egg. Vegetarians don't, though, eat fertilized eggs.

Not at all wanting to get into a debate on vegetarianism/vegans/omnivores/opportunivores since I 100% support people making their own food choices, just wanted to clear up why eggs are on the plate for vegetarians. :smile:
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eat your yolks