Diet soda

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There actually is evidence that A) sugar substitutes can alter your taste, and you will find natural, non-artificial sugars less satisfying. B) they actually stimulate your appetite, and cause you to consume more calories, through specifically carbs! Trust me on B), I did the experiment on lab rats. Weird *kitten*.

Good thing I'm not a rat. *sips diet coke because the damn machine was out of diet Pepsi*
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    I have read a study (on the internet, so who knows if it's true) that it makes your waist measurement larger. I've cut down from about a bottle a day to 2 glasses per day, but I've seen no difference from doing that.
    I find it helps when I'm dieting, as if I need a treat, I go for that.
  • Iwantchange_22
    Iwantchange_22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You should try SODA WATER!
    I was addicted to cola and soda's and couldn't stand drinking water, I then started drinking diet cola and it was awesome. Untill i heard the fake sugars and chemicals can damage your teeth, give you osteoporosis and even cancer. :( (it also made me hungry)
    Soda water is a great alternative to diet soda, its bubbly and cold and very refreshing (and can be added to your daily water intake!)

:)
  • itbloke
    itbloke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should try SODA WATER!
    I was addicted to cola and soda's and couldn't stand drinking water, I then started drinking diet cola and it was awesome. Untill i heard the fake sugars and chemicals can damage your teeth, give you osteoporosis and even cancer. :( (it also made me hungry)
    Soda water is a great alternative to diet soda, its bubbly and cold and very refreshing (and can be added to your daily water intake!)

:)

Here here!

Sodastream + splash of lemon or lime juice (fresh squeeze it) and presto!

its pretty easy to flavour soda water - great alternative if all you're after is the bubbles...
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Dr pepper out the wahhhhzzoo, seriously. I'm addicted, I know it's awful blah blah blah. It has not hindered my weight loss in any way besides maybe ... bloat.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Taper yourself off. It's bad for you.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Drinking 14 cans a week of Coke Zero. Sure I would like to drink less, but I am still losing weight.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Diet soda is fine. Just watch sodium levels if you are inclined to retain fluid. Lots of sodium free sodas on the market though.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Taper yourself off. It's bad for you.
    Any particular reason?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine. Just watch sodium levels if you are inclined to retain fluid. Lots of sodium free sodas on the market though.
    The difference between the regular amounts of sodium in soda and sodium-free sodas is negligible. 50 mg of sodium in the average can of soda is minimal. I'm not going to come anywhere close to hitting my sodium goals by cutting out diet soda. The amount of sodium I get in a typical day from diet soda is less than the amount I get from my breakfast egg whites.
  • KayHab
    KayHab Posts: 1
    Options
    I enjoy the carbonation so I do drink diet coke- we all have our evils, right? So many reports question the issues surrounding aspartame -- so if you're trying to stay on track for weight loss and want a carbonated diet beverage ..... consider trying Diet Rite. It uses a splenda blend of sweeteners... and comes in cola flavor, as well as some other good flavors (tangerine? Delicious!!)
  • sezie
    sezie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to drink SO much diet soda. I could get through 4 litres(140oz) on a bad day. I decided that this probably wasn't healthy, so I said I'd drink less in 2014. I didn't drink any for probably about 7 days and then when I did drink it again, I had symptoms worse than a hangover. Now I can't drink it because it makes me feel horrible, so I don't actually want to drink it anymore(which is great). I've also lost more inches faster ever since I stopped drinking it(probably due to bloating).
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of black coffee and Pepsi Max, more than I should. It's not the fake sugar that's the problem, it's the caffeine. I love caffeine but even I acknowledge that I take way too much of it.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda because every time I do it triggers headaches in me. (I'm waiting for the slew of "where's your evidence" responses.)

The effects are debatable and there is evidence that certain people react to aspartame in a negative way. Such is life. What bothers some won't bother others. So if it doesn't bother you have at it.
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Since I gave up diet coke my whole body feels better.. the aspartame inflamed my muscles and caused headaches.. I still drink one every once in a while but the 3 a day is a no no for me.. google artificial sweeteners and you will see what the ingredients are doing to your body,,
  • nealcross1986
    Options
    Hello everyone, I believe u need to ditch the soda, whether it's diet soda or regular, even with the minimum calories it doesn't aid weight loss, due to high sodium this bloats the stomach and actually dehydrates you, therefore your body wants to hold on to more eater and any additional fluids in your body, this unfortunately doesn't aid weight loss and is actually a bad habit to keep drinking soda drinks, switch to water or flavoured water, keep up the good work :-)
  • unamoss
    unamoss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know there are diet soda fans out there that will disagree with me, but here it goes.

I used to drink a TON of diet coke. I loved the stuff and if I'm being honest, I still do. However, since giving up ALL diet sodas, especially diet coke, my over all health has improved drastically.

1. my skin has improved. I have few if any breakouts
    2. I am less bloated.
    3. I immediately dropped 7 pounds.
    4. My cravings are under control. When I drank a coke I always wanted something savory to go with it (hamburger, chips, etc).
    5. I no longer have heart palpitations.
    6. I have virtually non reason to ever go through a drive thru restaurant unless it's to get iced tea.

It was hard at first to give up something that I loved so much, but my health is much better for it. Try slowly reducing the amount of soda you drink in a given day. I have a new guilty pleasure (which I'm sure some health guru will destroy for me), which is sparkling water... plain, no sweeteners. I also drink plain unsweetened iced tea. It definitely takes some getting used to. I wanted to rip the door off the hinges for about a week before I really adjusted. Before I wasn't much of a water or tea drinker, now I am.

The best part about this is I have gained the respect of my son. He was the one that asked me to give it up because of a health presentation at school that said diet coke drinkers have a higher incident of stroke and heart attack and he was concerned for me. How could I say no?

Now I feel like a recovering alcoholic. My year and a half "sober" period of no Diet Coke is like a badge of courage that I wear. I don't want to fall off the wagon and break my streak.

I hope my comments have helped you. Do what you want/need, but my humble opinion is that you will be better off even if you only reduce the amount of soda you drink.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you could just not buy it. if its not in your house, you cant drink it. try some sparkling water for the carbonation
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Diet coke itself probably won't cause any problems.

Dehydration, however, can cause oodles of health problems over time, not to mention makes weight loos harder.

If you don't drink water and are only drinking sodas, you are abusing your body,

It NEEDS water.

Caffeine is a diuretic. It flushes water out of your system. If you combine that with the only water you are getting being from your food, you are not doing your health any favors.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Diet coke itself probably won't cause any problems.

Dehydration, however, can cause oodles of health problems over time, not to mention makes weight loos harder.

If you don't drink water and are only drinking sodas, you are abusing your body,

It NEEDS water.

Caffeine is a diuretic. It flushes water out of your system. If you combine that with the only water you are getting being from your food, you are not doing your health any favors.
    Yes, dehydration is bad. No, it's not possible to get dehydrated as a direct result of drinking diet soda/tea/coffee, because the diuretic effect of the caffeine in them is minimal.