Salad Dressing??

Options

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar has nothing in it and I love the tang!

^^^ This is one of my favorites!

You really have to be careful with packaged salad dressings. Not only are they sometimes high in calories and fat but they are also LOADED with sodium, which will make you retain water especially if you are not drinking TONS of water. I bought this really cool item from Amazon.com it is called Jokari Healthy Steps Portion Control Dressing Lid. You just attach it to your dressing bottle and squeeze it to fill it up. I gives you a perfect 2 Tbsp serving of dressing. I find it very useful for when I want to switch things up a bit from just vinegar although some of your creamier dressings don't seem to flow through it as easily as your thinner ones. Still a pretty good item and fairly cheap, roughly $5-$6.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately has been Bolthouse Farms yogurt Caesar dressing. It's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons, and it tastes rich and indulgent. It's not cheap ($3.99/bottle where I shop), but I stocked up on a few bottles last time it was on sale.
  • lacar60299
    lacar60299 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You really have to be careful with packaged salad dressings. Not only are they sometimes high in calories and fat but they are also LOADED with sodium, which will make you retain water especially if you are not drinking TONS of water. I bought this really cool item from Amazon.com it is called Jokari Healthy Steps Portion Control Dressing Lid. You just attach it to your dressing bottle and squeeze it to fill it up. I gives you a perfect 2 Tbsp serving of dressing. I find it very useful for when I want to switch things up a bit from just vinegar although some of your creamier dressings don't seem to flow through it as easily as your thinner ones. Still a pretty good item and fairly cheap, roughly $5-$6.

This is such a cool idea! I need to get one of those!
  • lacar60299
    lacar60299 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I toss salad without the dressing.

hmmmmm........:blushing:
  • sneakachukitten
    sneakachukitten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit using salad dressings. I kept using less and less and now just use salt and pepper. I dress it up with cheese though and sometimes pepperoni, ham, and salami.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    1 Tsp olive oil,1 Tbl rice vinegar,lots of seasonings........I haven 't bought salad dressing in yrs.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use Hidden Valley Ranch Fat Free Ranch Dressing, it has 25 calories for 2Tbsp and it is yummy
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,708 Member
    Options
    My favs were Safeway's Balsamic and Herbs (these are light dressings) and Poppyseed and Carmelized Onion dressing. They kept the first and changed the second, my favorite that I chose probably 6 out of 8 times I loved it so much, to a full fat dressing with too many calories to use as a dressing for a large salad. The former is under Safeway Select now and it's still a favorite. I've tried a few others and they weren't bad, but I really love that one! Brianna's sweet onion is good, and Annie's Poppyseed though I can't find the latter too often. I discovered Litehouse's Poppyseed dressing and stocked up as it wasn't at a close store, not thinking of how I'd have to store them all in the fridge until I used them! Litehouse's Honey Dijon is good and isn't too strong in the Dijon, I like that too. I'm blanking on the name, but it may be one of Ken's and that is White Balsamic. Love fruit vinegrette's too, like Raspberry.

Ever since I lost my main fav, I've been checking out various make-your-own, but still have to give it a go. I like some of the ideas posted, thanks!
  • sheximer
    sheximer Posts: 1
    Options
    Bolthouse farms creamy Cesar is my current favorite dressing. Close second would be Ken's Light and Fit Honey Mustard!
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are up for making your own oil and vinegar with a packet of the powder ingredients for ranch is AMAZING!
  • missbrooks00
    Options
    lime juice/ lemon juice. Salad dressing are terrible for you.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I pile homemade salsa on top of mine.

When I don't have time to make, I buy Herdez. That brand has only 4 or 5 ingredients. Muy Bueno.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The store bought ones I use are:

Ken's Steakhouse Balsamic Vinegarette with Honey
    Marie's Light Blue cheese
    Wegman's Yogurt Caesar Dressing

I also make a lemon dressing with 1T Extra Vrigin Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice (Real Lemon), a couple turns of my garlic + sea salt grinder, a dash or 2 of pepper, a dash of cayenne, and a 1/2 tsp of thyme. I leave that in the container a couple hours after shaking and mixing. I love to put this on baby arugula with grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup feta cheese...mmmm so awesome!!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own tzatziki? If so, how do you make it? Is it just plain yogurt and cucumbers?
    Renee's Mighty Caesar - so creamy and full of garlic!
    Otherwise I use Tzatziki on everything!
  • DJtrvl
    DJtrvl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of taco salads so I use salsa as a dressing a lot, however I do like an occasional italian dressing salad, and came across the following at walmart -http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Garden-Italian-Salad-Dressing/dp/B00BINNY3S and at 30cal per 2tbsp it's pretty good. (I think I got it cheaper at walmart too btw)
  • bebijenkins
    Options
    I like steamed or blanched veggies with super simple peanut dressing.

2 tbsp peanut butter + a sprinkle of each garlic powder and onion powder +1/4 cup of water ( or more if you like it thinner ). Mix and microwave for 15- 20 sec. Pour it on your veggies and enjoy!
  • cam_dotson
    Options
    One of the best, most natural dressings that you should utilize is apple cider vinegar! Vinegar is full of great nutrients that keep you healthy on the inside. I would highly recommend it!
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own w/2 tsp red (or white) wine vinegar, 2 tsp of olive oil, dash of dried oregano, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together and you have dressing.

I also will sometimes add a tsp of dijon mustard to the vinegar/olive oil instead of the oregano or garlic.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i mix a little Sriracha or other hot sauce in with a fat free italian.

It satisfies my need for spicy
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is Annie's Organic Roasted Red Pepper Dressing.