Replies

• LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hard work that you do!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Your job should be factored into your lifestyle/daily activity level.

Even for an EMT 2 hrs of CPR is fricking work. It's rare someone has to do CPR for THAT long- even alternating off like you are supposed.

I don't know what the beef is- it burned more calories than usual - it needs to be accounted for.

Exactly this! Unless one works a code every day, I don't see why it should be factored into daily activity. That would cause an overestimation for calorie allowance in the first place.

OP, congrats on saving a life!! EMT's rock!

(Edited for wording)
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?

Ugh, shut up
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    But do you not have your activity level set to achieve anyway for your job
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?

Obviously you've never worked a 2 hour code. It IS quite the work out!
    OP: I wear a BodyMedia Fit armband and every code I've ever worked has been about a 1500 calorie burn. (average)
    Congrats on the save...always puts me on cloud 9! Woot! This 'medic is celebrating with you! :drinker:

Not saying it isn't a workout but to worry about calories lost? I guess I think about the life saved more than myself. Just chalk it up to an NSV and feel good about what you did.

Christ you're dumb. OP isn't doing CPR just for caloric burn, it's his/her living. OP is just curious how the caloric burn can be tracked because doing CPR for 2hrs is exhausting. It's not just about the burn... ffs.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You log it on MyKarmaPal.com.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sanctimonious stances some people have taken, you are freeken awesome!! Thanks for being one of the heros out there. Reward yourself with something good today like a nap or a good beer. :)
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options

Obviously you've never worked a 2 hour code. It IS quite the work out!
    OP: I wear a BodyMedia Fit armband and every code I've ever worked has been about a 1500 calorie burn. (average)
    Congrats on the save...always puts me on cloud 9! Woot! This 'medic is celebrating with you! :drinker:

This
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! I can't imagine having to perform CPR for 2 hours...just 10 minutes makes me sore as hell. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Hey dumb people who think CPR is easy and requires no effort...go take a CPR class, save a life and get back to us... :tongue:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Performing CPR isn't easy if you've never done it and/or aren't that fit. 5 minutes and most people would quit. 2 hours is pretty long, so I'd log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Just doing the 5 minutes or so during training whipped my tail and made my arms shake, I can't imagine doing it for 2 hours. That's a serious workout!
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This thread is like two cultures colliding lol.. I'm an EMT, I totally get it. It's not callous, it's practical. It's reality. It's what EMS people see all the time that regular people don't. There are many more examples of how we take things in stride and treat as normal that would be very odd to others.

I'd probably log it too, but I work in a big city and we have firefighters who do the bulk of the compressions <3

The very reason I workout, lift, run, etc etc is to be better, more effective at my job and to avoid injury. So be happy that you could do what you did and didn't give up!

Great job :)
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Very impressive!! Regardless of logging/not logging, it's still impressive!
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Performing CPR isn't easy if you've never done it and/or aren't that fit. 5 minutes and most people would quit. 2 hours is pretty long, so I'd log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Just doing the 5 minutes or so during training whipped my tail and made my arms shake, I can't imagine doing it for 2 hours. That's a serious workout!

Whenever I teach teenagers, I try find the kid who's being the biggest "I'm way too cool for this hahaha" guy in the class and then make him do 2 minutes of really good compressions while I talk... they always leave sweaty handprints!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You log it on MyKarmaPal.com.

FTW!

Congrats on your save, OP. There have been some good suggestions already about how to try and log this. And as for you needing to apologize to anyone for offending them...NO. That's their problem, not yours. Go ahead with your bad self!
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how ignorant people can be. He worked hard doing his job, well done I don't know how to log it but I would. Woohoo go you.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

After 2 hours, did you seriously save her or did you just prolong the life of an anoxic injured brain, to let them die in an ICu in a few days?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Have you ever done good CPR? That is ecercise. It will wear you out.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wait, so I can consider this a workout? Finally another reason to use the male dummy I have at home!
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you should log it (I think you should), but congratulations .... the woman and her loved ones must be so grateful that you did not give up on her.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

HIPAA
This discussion has been closed.