Rant - Stupid annoying things bad drivers do

Options

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have another!

People that pull out in front of you, cutting you off and causing you to have to hit your brakes... when there's no cars behind you! I get it when traffic is heavy. When there's no body on the road but me... why?????
    This too! And the the likelihood of them doing this is inversely proportional to the hurry they are in. At least if you are in a hurry and hauling after pulling out, I can understand. The one's who do that and then go slow, under the speed limit? What the **** is your problem.

That's how it goes, every single time! "I'm in a hurry to cut you off, but I think I"ll drive under the speed limit for the the next 5 miles.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Tailgating. it is stupid and reckless and if I have to stop suddenly and you run into me, you get automatically blamed for the accident.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Braking on the on-ramp. or not letting people on the damn highway, thus causing them to brake.

This would all be solved by *not* driving in the right hand lane unless you need to exit within a half mile.

THIS TIMES A BILLION.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It always seem to happen to me when I"m in a parking lot.

The other day, I was done shopping at the grocery store, and just as I'm putting the baby in the car in the back seat, the woman parked next to me proceeded to try and pull out of her parking spot. HELLO! I'm TRYING to get my BABY in the car, and you're putting me, her, and my vehicle at risk by being in a damn hurry.

The best part? When she saw the look on my face, she rolled her window down and said "I was being extra careful because I've been in your spot!" I said, "Not careful enough to wait 30 damn seconds."
  • koyangi
    koyangi Posts: 14
    Options
    I found most of my pet peeves started to vanish when I bought my black Dodge Charger. In your rearview mirror it looks just like a State Patrol cruiser. Now everyone is very courteous and does their absolute best to stay out of my way. Life is good...
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I could probably write for hours on this topic. I am retired military and have lived and been to many places. I now live in Columbus Ohio and I can say without a doubt, that Columbus ranks second only to Baghdad for bad drivers! We have these people I like to call "gappers" that insist there must be at least a 30-foot distance between there vehicle and the vehicle in front of them when they for a red light. Many times this cuts off people from getting to left or right-turn lanes and makes them sit through an additional traffic light cycle. I have never observed this behavior anywhere else. Of course we also have those who refuse to use turn signals. We also have the idiots who insist on driving (slowly) in the left lane on the freeway. Slow traffic is supposed to keep right in Ohio. I hope those of you who say you slow down when someone comes up quickly behind you are driving in the left lane! If so, you need to lose your license! The highway is no place for games or for trying to exert control over others. Just move to the right and allow others to pass! That's what you are supposed to do!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I could probably write for hours on this topic. I am retired military and have lived and been to many places. I now live in Columbus Ohio and I can say without a doubt, that Columbus ranks second only to Baghdad for bad drivers! We have these people I like to call "gappers" that insist there must be at least a 30-foot distance between there vehicle and the vehicle in front of them when they for a red light. Many times this cuts off people from getting to left or right-turn lanes and makes them sit through an additional traffic light cycle. I have never observed this behavior anywhere else. Of course we also have those who refuse to use turn signals. We also have the idiots who insist on driving (slowly) in the left lane on the freeway. Slow traffic is supposed to keep right in Ohio. I hope those of you who say you slow down when someone comes up quickly behind you are driving in the left lane! If so, you need to lose your license! The highway is no place for games or for trying to exert control over others. Just move to the right and allow others to pass! That's what you are supposed to do!

The drivers are pretty bad in Kuwait, too. Apparently a turn signal there means "Pass me."
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't mind bad drivers, I have blue lights and a ticket book..got a lady this morning who was riding my tail and decided it would be ok to pass on double yellow in the pouring rain..
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Oh, I have another!

People that pull out in front of you, cutting you off and causing you to have to hit your brakes... when there's no cars behind you! I get it when traffic is heavy. When there's no body on the road but me... why?????
    This too! And the the likelihood of them doing this is inversely proportional to the hurry they are in. At least if you are in a hurry and hauling after pulling out, I can understand. The one's who do that and then go slow, under the speed limit? What the **** is your problem.

That's how it goes, every single time! "I'm in a hurry to cut you off, but I think I"ll drive under the speed limit for the the next 5 miles.

Or you're on the on-ramp to get on the highway, and there's someone on your *kitten* behind you, also trying to get on the highway. You try to do the smart thing by merging as soon as you can. The car that was behind you speeds up super fast, then runs out of on-ramp, and cuts you off. Just wait your freaking turn and merge like you're supposed to!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Tailgating-- especially when the roads are icy

People who get on the freeway going 35 mph instead of getting up to speed to go with the flow of traffic

People who think traffic signs and signals apply to everyone but them

I have many more, but I think those are my top three. :grumble:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Honking the damned horn less than a second after the light has turned green.

Pulling out in front of me on a single-lane road - when there's nobody behind me for 1/4 mile - and going slower than I was going.

Going slowly until I move to pass, then speeding up.

Crawling up my *kitten*, then not passing after I'm able to move over.

Zooming past me on the highway, then moving into my lane and slowing down.

Failure to know what that red and white triangular sign that states, "YIELD" means.

Not even coming close to making the light and running reds.

Oh, this could go on and on and on...
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here's another one from me that's parking related. I'm in a wheelchair and have a handicap-accessible van that has a ramp on the passenger side for me to enter and exit my vehicle. I even have a sign on that side asking to please give me space. So, quite a few times some jerk has pulled almost sideways into the next spot, covering up the striped area that has enough room to allow me to extend the ramp and get in the car. I've had to wait in stores and parking lots for the person to leave so I can finally get in my car. One of these days, I'm gonna reach my limit and have the car towed!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Braking on the on-ramp. or not letting people on the damn highway, thus causing them to brake.

This would all be solved by *not* driving in the right hand lane unless you need to exit within a half mile.

Where I live slower traffic is required to stay in the right hand lane, even on the interstate. (In fact, you are only supposed to use the left hand lane if passing, and then get back over.) However, if you are coming up to an on ramp you are supposed to get over to allow for merging traffic.

The highway I'm referring to has 4 lanes and the people who are driving in the right hand lane are going well over the speed limit. Especially when they're speeding up to make sure and cut you off from merging onto the highway from the on ramp. no excuses, they're douches lol. (hey that rhymed)
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Where I live slower traffic is required to stay in the right hand lane, even on the interstate. (In fact, you are only supposed to use the left hand lane if passing, and then get back over.)

^^^ This! This right here!

Left hand lane is the "passing lane", if you're not actively passing another car, do not drive in this lane! Doesn't matter if you're going the speed limit or not. I've driven a lot in Europe where it's against the law to 'travel' in this lane, it makes the traffic so much better for everyone.

Oh, and turn signals... feel free to use them. Makes everyone safer when you clearly state your intentions.

So happy I barely drive this time of year. Idiots on the road are always the worst part of trying to go away for the weekend.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    I don't mind bad drivers, I have blue lights and a ticket book..got a lady this morning who was riding my tail and decided it would be ok to pass on double yellow in the pouring rain..

I've had many of those with the blue lights tailgate me... Is the point to try and spook the person into speeding to get away so they can write a ticket... for speeding? Granted, that only ever happened in Indiana, so maybe they're just ****s. lol
  • smelius22
    Options
    Oh and one more I have to deal with on a daily basis.. People who don't realize they have their own lane when turning right onto another street.

To get into my apartment complex, I have to turn west (right) from a southbound lane at an intersection.. There is a lane committed to only right-hand turns and there is a yield sign and then you can proceed onto yet another lane entirely dedicated to the cars that turned west onto this street.. You're supposed to yield, look back to make sure no one needs in your lane, then continue driving in the lane until it merges into the left lane...people will sit at this yield sign for 20-30 seconds looking behind them at on-coming traffic and wait for everyone to pass before going.

Every day I find myself yelling YOU HAVE YOUR OWN LANE JUST GOOOOO!!
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Here's another one from me that's parking related. I'm in a wheelchair and have a handicap-accessible van that has a ramp on the passenger side for me to enter and exit my vehicle. I even have a sign on that side asking to please give me space. So, quite a few times some jerk has pulled almost sideways into the next spot, covering up the striped area that has enough room to allow me to extend the ramp and get in the car. I've had to wait in stores and parking lots for the person to leave so I can finally get in my car. One of these days, I'm gonna reach my limit and have the car towed!

Most businesses (major chains, anyways) will call the police for you if a person is parked illegally, especially if it's preventing you from leaving. We did that a lot when I worked at Wal-Mart. Always paged in the store first, but if they didn't show within 5-10 minutes we would call the tow truck.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Oh, and another!

People who slam on their brakes when they see a cop sitting. Seriously, if you're that afraid of a ticket, don't speed. If you want to slow down, don't slam your brakes! In some places, this is an admission of your guilt, and you'll get a ticket anyways. Also, by slamming on your brakes at 80+MPH (highway has a limit of 70 in a lot of places here), you're likely to cause an accident! I'm more than willing to pay any speeding tickets I get, I'd rather not die or be seriously injured because you're afraid.
  • smelius22
    Options

What jerks! That would get me really fired up. I don't think I would have had the patience not to lower the ramp onto their car and cause damage lol.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Where i live no one signals when they turn. Drives me (no pun intended) up the f***ing wall!

you near St. Louis? It does seem to be the culture here...which I don't agree with or understand.