Ladies how did you Start Heavy lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW with some pretty light weights. I watched lifting videos and when I was comfortable I moved on to Starting Strength. I'm a little uncertain about my form so will be hiring a trainer for a few sessions to work on that. I'm not sure if your class will give you a good basis for lifting form, but that's my biggest concern before moving up to really heavy weights.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    following
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer, get a book & devlop a schedule.

If you can afford it, I'd say do 1-2 sessions with a trainer to get your form and set a starting weights that are challenging, but not too much. Some gyms will even give you a free introductory session. Form, form & more form first then you can build the weights. That along with a book such as New Rules of Lifting for Women or a Strong Lifts 5x5 type thing you can be on your way. Good Luck.

Body Pump is okay for seeing the moves, but the classes are often large and there is noone to make sure you are doing the lift properly. I do think it is fun, but not what you need..

I agree. This is prob. the best plan. I have been searching for books and looking at form online... I just am a little shy to start lifting...adn a bit too broke for reg. training sessions. i will do more research on how much money things cost, but I love lifting and want to become better at it...plus I see the results on the women lifting and i am shocked how good they look
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Starting strength or NROLFW are good books/programs...

I too chose Strong Lifts 5x5 one because it was free and I did not want to wait for a book...and then have to read a book...

It's simple, there are lots of vids out there and a group here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

They have a summary for it in one of their stickies but don't think that group is just for SL's...there are as many workouts in that group as ever...some SS, some Wendler etc.

I am not new to lifting and this time around I started with bodyweight, moved to circut training then jumped in no holes barred into the heavy stuff and haven't looked back...