The Pro-Diet Pop/Soda Thread

Options
Let me start off by saying that if you are anti-pop whether it be the aspartame, artificial sweeteners, its diuretic (dehydrating) properties or whatever, GO ELSEWHERE!! There are soooo many anti-pop threads on MFP so I wanted to start one for those who have never gained weight for drinking diet pop, to those like myself who haven’t been able to loose any from cutting it out either or for those of you who believe diet pop is integral in your weight loss success to date.

My husband is a Diet Pepsi fiend and although 3 Diet Pepsi’s a day may be a little more than average it keeps him thin and full and he has not yet felt the effects of aspartame or withdraw from the caffeine or chemicals for the periods of time it wasn’t on sale and I wouldn’t buy any (I’m a mean wife huh? Lol!)

I normally have maybe 3 Diet Pepi’s a week but I’m thinking about stepping that up to 1 a day. The reason why is despite being completely balanced in my nutrition with carbs, protein and fat, I am still finding myself hungry. I eat most of my exercise calories so that means about 1300-1400 a day and I make sure to have snacks in between meals (apple, almonds, fiber plus granola bar etc) but yet, still starved! And yes, I drink water all day long 10-12 glasses usually.

My own goals are to loose 10 lbs after gaining 8 in 2009 (first gain in over a decade) so if you too are in that category of women who only have a few lbs to loose, tell me about your experiences. Maybe I'm getting old (I will be 28 next week) and thats holding me back, ha ha ha!

Ps: Go Team Diet Pepsi, boooo coke ;)

pepsi_vs_coca_cola.jpg

Replies

• iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    im havin a diet pop right now. :) I eat pretty clean aside from long weekends workin in an IHOP and Diet Soda is my naughty food. I wish i could kick it but, i can't. And I'm living with that. It's just so freaking good!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love me some Dt Pepsi, Pepsi Max, and Dt Mtn Dew.
    Nothing wrong w/ having a little, as long as it doesn't affect you in a negitive way! To each his/her own!

Love the carbonation, taste, and oooooooooooh my, I think I need to go grab one now! :)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I love me some diet soda but BOOO Pepsi. :tongue:
  • cmccune712
    cmccune712 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink a cherry coke zero once a day and it has never hindered my weight loss. I only have a few pounds to lose and I did try losing those last few pounds by giving up the soda, but it didn't help. It keeps me full, so I don't overeat during the day! I love it!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My general opinion is that diet soda is only bad to the extent that it is carbonated water and it contains aspartame. Neither of those things are good for you, obviously. But I do not believe that a zero-calorie food or drink can make you fat on its own. If you are drinking diet soda and using that as an excuse to eat more calories (i.e. "I gave up real soda for diet, so that gives me an extra 150 calories that I can eat."), wel, that's not the soda causing you to gain weight ... it's your poor decision-making. if you're going to eat the extra calories anyway, you might as well be drinking regular soda.

I go through phases where I alternate between Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. Never been a Diet Pepsi fan. I also like Diet Sprite/7up.
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I too like my diet pop, my trick is I don't buy it for my house. I do this for many reasons
    1st my husband gave pop up, so I don't want to tempt him( it's been 4yrs already)
    2nd I am a daycare provider and I set a good example around the children, in my own time that's different, my choices
    3rd I don't need my teenagers drinking it all the time, if around that's all they will drink, so I only buy it when having company over or a party.
    4th it helps for me too, so I don't always drink it and I can get all my water in.

I do only leave the house really to get grocieries and other supplies once a week so then I will buy a 20oz bottle
    Diet dr pepper my fav
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    Just finished my coke zero before reading this, I have 2 per day and feel that it's something I'm not willing to give up. I've reached my goal weight so no impact on weight loss. Moderation is key!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Go team Pepsi boo coke?! Oh no you didn't! Yeah I'm trying to eliminate the diet soda just cause it's giving me too much heartburn (and apparently makes me wanna eat something sweet) but I love that stuff.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Damn Heather, if you weren't already married I might propose.

Diet Pepsi addict here. I have successfully lost large chunks of weight (40-50 lbs) more than once in my life through diet and exercise, and have never altered my pop/soda intake. My failure to keep the weight off has to due with food choices, quitting regular exercise, and a certain other thing I drink that I can't seem to do without. But hey, that's another thread. :drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When you research diet soda and kidney function you get a lot of info. Here's a few I find:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Diet-Soda-May-Damaging-Your-Kidneys-5980928

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top stories/story/Diet-soda-associated-with-loss-off-kidney-function/Vsla3S79E0iwMsyht8K-wg.cspx (this is the most recent article - I think)

http://www.naturalnews.com/025582_soda_health_soda_pop.html

But then I find this:

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/low-calorie-sweeteners-do-not-affect-kidney-function

and this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090426075452.htm

so I think once again it all comes down to moderation. I don't think it will make you gain weight or lose weight. But if it helps you that is all that matters.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    When I changed my lifestyle I did the math, and figured out that if I quit drinking regular Mt Dew I could cut 4500 calories a week out of my diet....just from Mt Dew. Never mind the reducing fast food, and measuring portions at home.

I don't smoke, drink alcohol sparingly, don't like sweets, and have my nutrition dialed in...most of the time....If drinking Diet Mt Dew is my bad habit....well damn it...I'm allowed at least one.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't drink diet sodas, but I drink regular sodas and it hasn't stopped my weight loss at all.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    If I want something I am going to eat or drink it. I perfer Diet Coke, although steering clear of them at the moment only because of the sodium.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Trav.....and Im addicted to Diet Mountain Dew
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My general opinion is that diet soda is only bad to the extent that it is carbonated water and it contains aspartame. Neither of those things are good for you, obviously.

I disagree that either of those things is obviously bad for you. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind carbonated water being bad for you.

I used to drink 2 a day. I quit purely for monetary reasons. I've got a "Soda Club" carbonator on my christmas list, so if I get that I'll start drinking carbonated water again... .if not, no big deal!

I lost about 40 pounds so far while drinking diet soda. I've neither gained nor lost now that I've stopped drinking it. I still love a diet AW root beer or Dr Pepper on occaision.
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    My general opinion is that diet soda is only bad to the extent that it is carbonated water and it contains aspartame. Neither of those things are good for you, obviously.

I disagree that either of those things is obviously bad for you. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind carbonated water being bad for you.

I used to drink 2 a day. I quit purely for monetary reasons. I've got a "Soda Club" carbonator on my christmas list, so if I get that I'll start drinking carbonated water again... .if not, no big deal!

I lost about 40 pounds so far while drinking diet soda. I've neither gained nor lost now that I've stopped drinking it. I still love a diet AW root beer or Dr Pepper on occaision.

Carbobated cola beverages have been linked to reduced bone density. However, this is not true for unflavored carbonated water. I still drink both. I have to drink something with my liquor and it's better than juice.
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want a diet pepsi. I haven't found any convincing evidence on either side of the argument, and I know diet soda keeps me from snacking on sweets, so for now... off to 7-11!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have to drink something with my liquor and it's better than juice.

Preach on! :drinker:
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    I have to drink something with my liquor and it's better than juice.

Preach on! :drinker:
    *high five* I would rather be fat than dry.