short people problems and tall people problems!

Options
124»

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and say that I am an impartial party at 5'6" (I thought I was 5'4" for years and and was always told I was short because most of my friends growing up were males as tall as 6'6", so if you think I relate more to being tall, you'd be mistaken) and I think that tall women definitely have it worse. Short women can wear heels, hem their pants, use step stools to reach for things, whereas tall women have trouble finding pants that are the right length at all, may tower over others in heels, and can have associated neck/back problems if they have to hunch often. 5'3" is considered the average height for a women, so things are more often designed for shorter, as opposed to taller, women.
  • QngieZ
    QngieZ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not that tall,and not too short either.but if i had to choose being one i'd choose to be shorter than average,clothes shopping for too tall girls is a pain...and shoes too.
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This is not much of a problem most of the time, but I am 5' 3.5" . (Not tall, not really petite). I can wear some petite tops, but not the skirt and pants. They are about 1/2 inch to 3/4 of inch too short. If I wear non-petite pants (regular sized) pants, they are way too long sometimes. (I know I can get a hem, but still....)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1"... inseam 37"

"Long" pants.. .are still at least an inch or two too short

"Tall buildings need strong foundations" aka - I have big feet. Stores rarely sell in my size, and what they do have is picked through and all that is left are typically fuzzy slippers and orthopaedic pumps.

Long sleeves are 3/4 sleeves

I have abs because I can't find shirts that are long enough, so I'm always pulling in my tummy - it shows at the bottom of my shirt.

Low rise pants - are indecent
    One piece bathing suits are instant butt floss (AND DON'T EVEN ASK ME TO TRY ON THOSE ONE PIECE LACE TEDDIES! :noway:)

Shorter people see no problem saying "Holy crap you're tall" but get offended if I reply with "Holy crap you're short"

No, I didn't play volleyball.
    Yes I played basketball so that people would stop asking.

Yes, I can reach that for you.

Yes I wear heels. Deal with it.

Sure you're looking at my boobs because they're eye height.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has chimed in who is (currently or formerly) plus-sized and short, with issues finding clothes. When I wore size 22 (for years) at 5'8" it seemed like ALL plus clothing were absolutely designed for my body & height/proportions. Some of my shorter friends who wear plus have had a terrible time finding plus sized clothing that works with their proportions.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

One piece bathing suits are instant butt floss (AND DON'T EVEN ASK ME TO TRY ON THOSE ONE PIECE LACE TEDDIES! :noway:)

Shorter people see not problem saying "Holy crap you're tall" but get offended if I reply with "Holy crap you're short"

Have you tried the Land's End long torso swimwear? Love. Although I'm not a true tall person (5'8") so it might not be long enough - but it still may be worth a shot!!

I have also had the snotty comments "You wear heels!" especially when I was married to a guy who was about 5'9-5'10" and slouchy.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Shorter people see not problem saying "Holy crap you're tall" but get offended if I reply with "Holy crap you're short"

Have you tried the Land's End long torso swimwear? Love. Although I'm not a true tall person (5'8") so it might not be long enough - but it still may be worth a shot!!

I have also had the snotty comments "You wear heels!" especially when I was married to a guy who was about 5'9-5'10" and slouchy.

I do a bikini now. :-D Problem solved!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1"... inseam 37"

"Long" pants.. .are still at least an inch or two too short

"Tall buildings need strong foundations" aka - I have big feet. Stores rarely sell in my size, and what they do have is picked through and all that is left are typically fuzzy slippers and orthopaedic pumps.

Long sleeves are 3/4 sleeves

I have abs because I can't find shirts that are long enough, so I'm always pulling in my tummy - it shows at the bottom of my shirt.

Shorter people see no problem saying "Holy crap you're tall" but get offended if I reply with "Holy crap you're short"

OMG MIREY, ALL OF THESE! SO TRUE! :laugh:

Especially the basketball one, since I grew up in a small town where everyone played sports. And my mom made me wear size large t-shirts just so they would be long enough to cover my midriff.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Got me some tall girl problems right here!

1. Men that want to pick you up, literally. I don't need you to prove to me that I'm not a moose by picking me up! Oh, okay. You do it anyways. Yep, you straining is making me feeling really good right about now. Want me to pick you up next? Why not?! Well, that's just sexist, sir.
    2. Long-sleeved shirts never have long enough sleeves! I have no issue finding shirts that fit my torso length and width, but I must have orangutan arms or something because I'm always forced to push my sleeves up to my elbows to avoid looking like I shrunk my shirt in the dryer.
    3. "Wow, you're huge!". Thaaanks! "Oh, I don't mean fat, I mean tall!" Not helping. All I heard was "That's a huge b*tch!"
    4. Biggest. Feet. On A Woman. Ever.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Got me some tall girl problems right here!

1. Men that want to pick you up, literally. I don't need you to prove to me that I'm not a moose by picking me up! Oh, okay. You do it anyways. Yep, you straining is making me feeling really good right about now. Want me to pick you up next? Why not?! Well, that's just sexist, sir.
    2. Long-sleeved shirts never have long enough sleeves! I have no issue finding shirts that fit my torso length and width, but I must have orangutan arms or something because I'm always forced to push my sleeves up to my elbows to avoid looking like I shrunk my shirt in the dryer.
    3. "Wow, you're huge!". Thaaanks! "Oh, I don't mean fat, I mean tall!" Not helping. All I heard was "That's a huge b*tch!"
    4. Biggest. Feet. On A Woman. Ever.

This made me laugh so hard.

I am 5'10" with a 35 inseam, so I'm all leg. Tall people problem? No space in cars, buses, airplanes, and anywhere else I have to squish myself into, and I don't squish well
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I want to kiss a tall girl ... bout 5'10 and up

hmmm. I'm 5'9" barefoot, but with heels on I make the cut... Does this suffice?
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Short girl problems:

- girls ten years younger than me call me "sweetie"
    - can't buy shoes from department stores until the big sales when they bring out all of the sizes.
    - regularly risk getting kicked out of the grocery store for climbing shelves (I look around first!)
    - too short for full length anything
    - desks and desk chairs are not made for us. I was always so uncomfortable and trying to pull my legs up under me
    - having to order off the kids menu or side menu since our calories are so low
    - men make sexual jokes about all of the crazy stuff they could do with you. They all seem to think they are the first to point this out, and that it is really clever.. Oh, and the "she wouldn't even have to get on her knees to...." One is fun too. :angry:
    - blouses are always too big in the shoulders.
    - if you do date a shorter guy everyone says how "cute" you look and jokes about how short your kids will be.

Short girl plusses
    - we do seem to get a good selection of the taller guys for some reason..
    - long shirts serve double duty as slutty dresses for Vegas.
    - we can get comfy anywhere.. Other than in a desk chair or driving an older car.
    - free pass to go up front at busy concerts.. or maybe people don't see us moving ahead of them.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4"

Try keeping up on the soccer field with some 5'5" guy.
    Big feet makes footwork with the ball more difficult.
    When shopping for shoes (size 13) I look at the size, then the price, then if they're any good. It's gotten better over the past 10 years though.
    I'm too big for my bike.
    Altitude sickness.
    I'd rather walk then cram myself into an airplane seat for 2 hours.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    To this day I have issues with long sleeve shirts being 3/4 length sleeves on me. Out of all the long sleeve tops I own, I think like 4 of them actually come to my wrist. This problem's getting even worse now that I'm out of plus and into misses sizing. My winter coat doesn't really even come close to covering my wrists :-/

Old Navy, Gap, Eddie Bauer all make tops for "tall". It's awesome.

Also I have a really nice pea coat that came in a "tall" from Victoria's Secret.

(But I'm also not that tall, only 5'9" but I guess I have long limbs.)

Why did I not KNOW this?? Thank you! There will be shopping in my future.

5'9" here as well, and finding clothes is a PAIN. I'm set on jeans (finally), but tops are an issue, because not only am I tall, but I'm long-waisted as well.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Short girl problems: Being 4'11'' I can shop at kid's stores. I can buy capris, and they fit me at regular length. I have to ask people to reach things for me at the grocery store, mall, you name it! Guys always try and pick me up, and I'm constantly reminded of how short I am.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Tall-ish girl problems 5'8" Having a great difficulty finding 36" inseams on jeans to wear with my heels (my body inseam measurement is 34") Finding an inexpensive one piece swimsuit that fits in bodylength (Nike has ones that fit at least) Sleeves that actually don't look like 3/4 length but go all the way to my wrist. Finding AA width shoes (not exactly a tall problem - but that's a whole other thing...) even though I take an 8.5 /Euro 39. Dressy leather gloves small enough in the hand size (6) that have long enough fingers (unless I spend a couple of hundred dollars a pair.) :grumble:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Short person problem: me (5'3)- not able to reach things at the gym and having to get a box to stand on

Tall person problems: my husband (6'3)- bangs his head on EVERYTHING...his scalp has scars
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Having to order all of your trousers online because the shops swapped the tall sections out for larger petite sections.

The few stores that have tall trousers all think you have tree trunk calves. In my experience, tall women generally have longer and proportionally slender calves. I've had one pair of jeans in the past several years that even came close to hugging my calves and they were such poor quality I had to chuck them after about a month :sad: