I tried not to judge

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to a gym that didn't allow phones. I track my workouts on the bb.com app, and sometimes surf/text between sets.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    All of these posts have the same thing in common: how flicking addicted people are to their cell phones. What is the need to text or surf the net between sets; what is so important that people can’t workout without talking to somebody on the phone? It is like the world is going to come to an end if they don’t.

Relax, chill out, and take a break from electronic gadgets. Go to the gym and work on your fitness goals.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    All of these posts have the same thing in common: how flicking addicted people are to their cell phones. What is the need to text or surf the net between sets; what is so important that people can’t workout without talking to somebody on the phone? It is like the world is going to come to an end if they don’t.

Relax, chill out, and take a break from electronic gadgets. Go to the gym and work on your fitness goals.

You like smelling your roses, I like catching up to the latest online. Why force your views on me?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Do you ever do really heavy lifting? You need a break between sets.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I just overheard this thread on my cell phone message board...cool story bro!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1s1gJ9MNCLXciIyAl8Nf_gdQYNx5c048x0eUVEK9yLLZzht5y
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I always take my phone into the gym, it's always on silent and if it ever rang I'd leave to answer it I guess but I HAVE to have it with me and I go to they gym while the kids are in school and if the school ever needed to get in touch that's how they'd do it. I've seen people take their iPads in to watch their favourite programmes etc. I wonder how they focus on it when they're working out but it doesn't bother me. Some people just need a time out for themselves. What really bugs me is guys sat on weights machines texting when there are other people waiting to use them. Our weights room is titchy and there always seems to be a queue lately
  • steel_heels
    Options
    I'm surprised the gym allowed that. Planet Fitness would have asked her to go outside...at least the one where I live would have. That bites.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    20a527s.jpg
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I fail to see the relationship between lifting, breaks between sets, and cell phones.

And to answer your question, YES, I lift and YES, I take breaks between sets, but cell phones (surfing, texting or talking) are not a fitness requirement.

You would like to ask Arnold and all the heaving lifters of years ago, how did they managed to gain so much and be so successful in the absence of cell phones.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I fail to see the relationship between lifting, breaks between sets, and cell phones.

And to answer your question, YES, I lift and YES, I take breaks between sets, but cell phones (surfing, texting or talking) are not a fitness requirement.

You would like to ask Arnold and all the heaving lifters of years ago, how did they managed to gain so much and be so successful in the absence of cell phones.

i think maybe it's a generational thing. people 30 and under probably cannot imagine life without their smartphone going everywhere they go. it's all they've known. i grew up in the days of rotary dial phones and cellphones that were the size of a cinderblock. i feel no need to be constantly connected to the phone or internet wherever i go, so i don't even own a cellphone, much less a smartphone. i think those from my generation (i'm assuming you are one of them) think that a phone at a gym is not a necessity. i think those much younger would disagree. what you and i feel perfectly comfortable tracking on a pad of paper with a pencil probably feels very strange to the younger generation not to be tracking with a special app.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

i think maybe it's a generational thing. people 30 and under probably cannot imagine life without their smartphone going everywhere they go. it's all they've known. i grew up in the days of rotary dial phones and cellphones that were the size of a cinderblock. i feel no need to be constantly connected to the phone or internet wherever i go, so i don't even own a cellphone, much less a smartphone. i think those from my generation (i'm assuming you are one of them) think that a phone at a gym is not a necessity. i think those much younger would disagree. what you and i feel perfectly comfortable tracking on a pad of paper with a pencil probably feels very strange to the younger generation not to be tracking with a special app.
    I can't seem to get rid of my phone lately, Brainy!!!
    And I'll admit.. I do not want to..
    Not for a while haha.

I grew up with my grandmother's rotary phone and oh my goodness if I dialed the wrong number!
    Try dialing 9-1-1 on that thing! The 9 would take AGES to rotate.

Don't even remind me of the BetaMax that we could not get hooked up to the TV.. Oh my god and the rabbit ears war! And the TV Dial. She even had the really oldschool brick refrigerators.. I wonder if she still has it. I had an odd obsession with it, I always wanted it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Not for a while haha.

I grew up with my grandmother's rotary phone and oh my goodness if I dialed the wrong number!

Don't even remind me of the BetaMax that we could not get hooked up to the TV.. Oh my god and the rabbit ears war! And the TV Dial. She even had the really oldschool brick refrigerators.. I wonder if she still has it. I had an odd obsession with it, I always wanted it.

during my junior year of high school (1983), this cellphone was an example of what was available for those who needed to be able to talk while they were away from their desk. i'm not sure what the limitations of coverage were back then, but this thing cost about $4K and had a battery life of about a half hour. suffice to say, my generation did not grow up with a reliance on cellphones.

9810-1972-mot_xlarge.jpg
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Lol... ok...

A human incapable of passing judgement wouldn't survive in this world for very long. It's a survival instinct.
    Judge and be judged.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Not for a while haha.

during my junior year of high school (1983), this cellphone was an example of what was available for those who needed to be able to talk while they were away from their desk. i'm not sure what the limitations of coverage were back then, but this thing cost about $4K and had a battery life of about a half hour. suffice to say, my generation did not grow up with a reliance on cellphones.

9810-1972-mot_xlarge.jpg

Hahahaha YES!!!

And the old school laptop...
    ef4894ac38bd9f216b17c1442c8ad417.png

While we're at it.. The calculator.
    (Original calculators, that is).

1f5eb3dda48c948e47b068c263e842e2.png
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Not for a while haha.

9810-1972-mot_xlarge.jpg

Hahahaha YES!!!

And the old school laptop...
    ef4894ac38bd9f216b17c1442c8ad417.png

While we're at it.. The calculator.
    (Original calculators, that is).

1f5eb3dda48c948e47b068c263e842e2.png

Oh Sam, you kill me! :laugh:
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    not everyone sweats like a dog in a work out. that does not mean that she didn't burn cals either. did you ever think that someone called from work/home for something and she was loud because she couldn't hear herself?

my thoughts here.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to get away from all the texts, emails and calls. Why on earth anyone would want to be on the phone while working out is beyond me.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have to have my cell phone on at the gym if I am expecting a call from work. If she was just chitchatting:

FPBEJk1.gif

Edit: stupid gif!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Well, I get being annoyed when people are talking loudly ANYWHERE. I think that's the real issue and not the fact she was on the phone. That would annoy me, too! If you're talking so loud on your phone, to your buddy, or even to YOURSELF that I can hear you over my own gadget, then that would drive me bonkers. As for the 'break a sweat', that is absolutely myth. You do NOT have to kill yourself to workout to get to where you want to go. Your goals may be to run faster, harder, 'tone', whatever but hers may be just to get out of the house for a bit, burn a 100 cals or so, and get on with life. We all have different goals. But like I said, if she hadn't been so dad-gum loud, I doubt you would've noticed or cared. But being so loud it's like a car horn in your ear is distracting! As for the reading and magazines and phones and things, some people use the time on the machines to RELAX. Also, many phones have workout apps and trackers now so when they are using them, it's not always just to mess around. They are updating their information -- easier than trying to remember or carry around a notebook and pencil. Plus, some people, like my hubby who works 12hr. rotating shift at a busy plant and then is also a student, he barely has time to spend with us so many times he has to multi-task. Sometimes that may include checking email or responding to texts while he is doing something else. Same for those people. Just some ideas on what they could be doing. No point in trying to judge or waste energy on that stuff. But the loudness... UGH. That I wouldn't be judging but be flat out annoyed by! LOL
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    0 cares given. -talks on phone @ gym with big ol' obnoxious headphones on-