Only fruit&veggies during day w/ protein @ night

Options
I'm just curious. Recently I've been trying to get serious about my weight loss and am trying to adjust my eating, but I'm confused about a lot of things.
I have a hard time eating the right amount of calories, I'm either always under or over. The last week or so I've been trying something different.. I've been eating only fruits and vegetables through out the day and then dinner is some type of a protein and a side. The reason I feel like it's working is because I've always been told that veggies don't count when counting calories and fruit is very low in calories, so it's guiltless eating and I get to eat as much as I want to get full.
So at the end of the day I'm usually in between 500 and 800 calories, and I'm never hungry.

Is that an okay way to look at it?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories is never ok.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Pretty much.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Veggies DO count and fruit is not low in calories ans natural sugars but sugars none the less. Sugars make glucose that triggers the body to store fat.

Every thing counts. Moderation is key.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options

And this.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if that is 500 to 800 calories outside of fruit and veggies. Apples and bananas for example will add up pretty fast in calories. Factor those in and possibly you're actually eating up to 1200 calories per day?? You should check on the calorie count of some of your fruit and veggies just to have a baseline. They may be higher in calories than you think

Weight watchers doesn't count fruit and veggies (I think) but the MFP method is typically to sum up all calories regardless of where they come from. If you eat less calories than you expend , then you will lose weight
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Fruit can often be quite high in calories. Especially if you eat a fair bit of it.
    The other day I ate 2 packs of grapes - that'd be 550 calories.
    You should count the calories in vegetables. People say not to as compared to a chocolate bar, say, it's fairly low for a similar amount. I DO tend to ignore very low calorie stuff like lettuce and tomato - but I'm happy with my progress. If I wasn't, I'd be making sure I recorded every single item.

If you are actually only eating 500-800 calories (is that including fruit and veg)? It's rather low and will likely lead to longer term problems if you keep doing it.
  • Aesthetic_B
    Aesthetic_B Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Falling below your BMR daily is NEVER ok and is practically starving yourself!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So at the end of the day I'm usually in between 500 and 800 calories, and I'm never hungry.

Absolutely not. Starving yourself is never okay.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

For a snack it is ok
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

For a snack it is ok

maybe breakfast. I like a light breakfast. :laugh:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. Recently I've been trying to get serious about my weight loss and am trying to adjust my eating, but I'm confused about a lot of things.
    I have a hard time eating the right amount of calories, I'm either always under or over. The last week or so I've been trying something different.. I've been eating only fruits and vegetables through out the day and then dinner is some type of a protein and a side. The reason I feel like it's working is because I've always been told that veggies don't count when counting calories and fruit is very low in calories, so it's guiltless eating and I get to eat as much as I want to get full.

I am willing to bet that you will lose more consistently over a longer time span, if you eat the amount of calories that are appropriate for your age, weight, height & activity level with a deficit that works.
    I am willing to bet double that you will do better if you eat protein at each meal, because fruit and veggies even though healthy are sugar and complex carbs and the human body needs more than that to stay healthy. Of course you could argue that you would get all the rest of your macros at dinner. At 600-800 calories which you eat that is not possible, no matter what you think you feel.
    I am 66 and under five feet tall and eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day and I am pretty much in the MFP minority. If you eat the way you do for several month you will unfortunately also be a part of a minority......a minority you usually only find in refugee and displaced person's camps.....that of those people who are truly starving ( which has nothing to do with the much MFP touted starvation mode ).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Is that 500-800 calories without counting the calories from the fruit and veg. I'm thinking it is. Fruit and veg can have a lot of calories for example a banana is 100 calories. If the 500-800 is with the fruit and veg you need to eat more a lot more
  • painttin
    painttin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you counting everything you eat? People often will forget things like oils you cook with, sauces, so on which can add up.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thing is it may be working for now but can you see yourself eating like this forever? You need to make sustainable changes and stop seeing it as a diet with a temporary life span. Learn how to eat healthily while staying within your calorie goal. It will help you in the long run.

Up your calories too if the 800 includes the fruit/veg. This is neither healthy nor sustainable.
  • theinrich1025
    theinrich1025 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. When I stated a daily total of 500-800 calories, that was including the fruit and veggies. I can't figure out how to balance out meals so that I come up to a healthy amount of calories and feel satisfied, I guess I was hoping that my fruit and veggie trick would be an easy way out for me :(

Does anyone have any tips for what to eat and when throughout the day so that I can meet both the nutritional specs and calories (1,500) I need everyday?
    Right now I'm not very active, I'm a marketing director which is the typical 9-5 desk job. Within the next few weeks I plan on getting a gym membership and starting to workout almost every night after work.

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated!

Also any ideas of quick and healthy meals/snacks that I can easily take to work would be awesome!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. When I stated a daily total of 500-800 calories, that was including the fruit and veggies. I can't figure out how to balance out meals so that I come up to a healthy amount of calories and feel satisfied, I guess I was hoping that my fruit and veggie trick would be an easy way out for me :(

Does anyone have any tips for what to eat and when throughout the day so that I can meet both the nutritional specs and calories (1,500) I need everyday?
    Right now I'm not very active, I'm a marketing director which is the typical 9-5 desk job. Within the next few weeks I plan on getting a gym membership and starting to workout almost every night after work.

Also any ideas of quick and healthy meals/snacks that I can easily take to work would be awesome!

This was posted earlier and I can't stress strongly enough for you to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As far as meeting your 1500 calories a day, start pre-logging your foods that you are already eating. Work for a week or so on making sure you get as close to 1500 as possible every day.

When you feel like you have that under control, then start working on meeting your macros (protein, fat & carbs). These 2 things are important to make sure your body is fueled and your nutritional needs are being met.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You realize that dietary fat is a very essential nutrient right? There is no way you are getting anything remotely resembling proper and balanced nutrition doing what you're doing...you can't really get all of your requisite nutrients in with 500 - 800 calories. To boot, that's not nearly enough energy for your body. Your body "burns" far more than that just keeping you alive and all systems go. All you're going to do here is burn up muscle mass and cause your body to shut down non-essential functions like growing hair and what not....just do a little search and see how many, "HALP....my hair is falling out because I don't eat ****in' food" threads.

Eat food (real food)....hit your calorie goals. Plan your day ahead of time if you need to. Eat nuts and avocados and saute veggies and whatnot with olive oil, etc to get in some healthy fats. Just eat food in smaller portions. There's no magic secret tricks to this. You just eat a nutritious and balanced diet in appropriate portions.

ETA: Yes, read this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

It looks like you've already got dinner down pat. For snacks I actually like to pack carrots or sliced apples in a sandwich bag. Breakfast sausage and eggs. Lunch is either left over dinner, or I microwave a potato because it's so easy and pack it with whatever. (Chicken, beans, eggs, etc). For veggies I buy green beans, bell peppers, asparagus, peas, anything. Drizzle some oil and whatever spices and roast in the oven at 425 for about 40 minutes.

There are actually plenty of threads asking for ideas on a good breakfast or lunch. Do a search and I'm sure you'll either find something that interests you, or inspires you to come up with your own ideas