Um. I just ate a tub of ice cream and need help

Options

Replies

• JuanitaLynne
    JuanitaLynne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard to hear, because I like it too, but.... don't buy ice cream of any type. It is like one of the worst things to eat if you're trying to loose weight.

And as for measuring with a scale and the weight of your cup. If you have to have some, weigh your cup first, then with the ice cream in the cup. Subtract the weight of the cup from the total.

Hey, hang in there! You sound very contientious about what your doing and determined to reach your goal! Inspiring! :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    There are some serious issues going on around here.
  • RissyChris
    Options
    Great advice about your questions. It does make me think of a perplexing food label that I've noticed. Jello sugar free fat free cheesecake pudding comes in a box that says it is 28 grams. The nutrition information on the back is given for 4 servings, 8 grams each??? Makes me wonder every time how what's impossible passes the requirements for nutrition labeling. Maybe you might want to check and see if the package size matches up with the nutrition label serving size on your ice cream?

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WITH JELLO
  • RissyChris
    Options

care to elaborate?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The only way to be accurate is to use a scale. In the manufacturing process they load the carton by weight, not volume. When they come up with serving size they base that on weight. Yes, I'm sure there is a half cup measuring cup that holds the weight mentioned in the serving, but unless you pack it just the same way they did, your serving will never match theirs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My scale isn't digital, btw. If you've got an old one it should still have a little knob on it that will allow you to zero it out.
  • RissyChris
    Options
    you overpacked your "cup"

"cups" outside of baking are poor gauges of measurement

You need a digital food scale then weight that ice cream to the gram/ounce serving size

Yes u overpacked and therefore underestimated your caloric intake.

Digital food scale 15 - 30 bucks at walmart

8 bucks for a decent spring scale if you are really hurting.

This. I love my digital scale, loooooooooooooooove it. P.S. I have Schawn's connections :bigsmile:

to everyone who keeps talking about scales...PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING IT. as i said before i'm not allowed to have scales in the house or they get broken out of spite, even if i hide them.
    huh?

if you actually read the previous posts i mentioned every time i buy a scale my dad breaks it and laughs about it, saying i can't have any fitness technology in the house. he broke my scale, pan, and hid my fitbit after i hid it from him first.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard to hear, because I like it too, but.... don't buy ice cream of any type. It is like one of the worst things to eat if you're trying to loose weight.

And as for measuring with a scale and the weight of your cup. If you have to have some, weigh your cup first, then with the ice cream in the cup. Subtract the weight of the cup from the total.

Hey, hang in there! You sound very contientious about what your doing and determined to reach your goal! Inspiring! :)

I have had ice cream every single day of the past 2 years. As long as it's accurately logged and it isn't a "trigger food" for those that have that issue, there's no reason to cut it out.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

care to elaborate?

Just been following your posts today. You've gotten some good advice and information.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    sorry

i didnt read enough you are right there

you are an adult and should be able to have your own things
  • RissyChris
    Options

I have had ice cream every single day of the past 2 years. As long as it's accurately logged and it isn't a "trigger food" for those that have that issue, there's no reason to cut it out.

yeah i agree with you. i said in this post about 7 times now that i was eating icecream/froyo every week for three weeks and never had this problem. it was just with this brand and type.

i'm capable of portion control, i know it, and this was just a fluke. i logged the damn calories and now i'm moving the *kitten* on.
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are doing so well, losing all that weight and staying on maintenance. Maintenance is hard enough without adding three weeks of trigger foods, which ice cream obviously is for you. You don't mention if your sister also has/had a weight problem, but you are also feeding her all that ice cream, too. My concern is that even if you are counting all the ice cream calories, correctly or not, you are eliminating other food in order to log those calories. Give yourself a break, and stop buying that stuff...at least for a while.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    OMG! 300 additional calories in a day!!! The world will end now...what shall we do?? :ohwell: :laugh:

It's all good. It's called a lifestyle, not a diet, for a reason. Your calories do not expire at midnight. Make an adjustment over the next week to account for the additional 300 calories and move on.

I too use the scale for measuring my foods...so much easier!!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I can't believe your dad just goes and breaks your food scales. That's so disrespectful of you and what you're trying to accomplish. Don't get mad at the answers here. They are well-intentioned posts from people who are walking the same path.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    if you actually read the previous posts i mentioned every time i buy a scale my dad breaks it and laughs about it, saying i can't have any fitness technology in the house. he broke my scale, pan, and hid my fitbit after i hid it from him first.

Your dad is an *kitten* and I hope you move out as soon as you can.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream addict. I buy regular old full fat, full calorie ice cream sandwiches at 150 cals/each. The fact they are individually wrapped= portion control...if I want soft serve, I hit up mcds, again, portion control and no chance of eating 6 servings...just a thought.

Could not agree more!! I will no longer buy ice cream in larger quantities. I would rather spend a little extra on eating it out somewhere. McDonald's is only 150 calories per cone...ditch the cone, only about 100. If you feel the need to have it in your freezer, buy it by the pint instead, or better yet, most grocery stores now carry one serving containers. That way, you do not subconsciously set yourself up for overindulgence.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you overpacked your "cup"

"cups" outside of baking are poor gauges of measurement

You need a digital food scale then weight that ice cream to the gram/ounce serving size

Yes u overpacked and therefore underestimated your caloric intake.

Digital food scale 15 - 30 bucks at walmart

8 bucks for a decent spring scale if you are really hurting.

this, get a food scale…

don't worry so much about it ..

log it, own it, and move on…and get a food scale...
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When you graduate college and have a job and are able to move out, invite your parents over and don't let them eat anything without it being weighed on the food scale.

For now, just do the best you can and move on. Work with the antiquated food scale your mom has and just go light in the cup the next time you buy that brand.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Maybe your should rethink eating ice cream for breakfast and opt for something for traditionally healthy so you are not serving yourself something you crave when your are really hungry
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Perhaps an easier way is to take the whole container of ice cream and empty it onto a cutting board. (cut open the cardboard container) and then divide it with a big knife into how every many servings the package says. Then you can take those portions and either put them in containers or wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze.

obviously you will have to work fast to prevent it melting but I remember that is how ice cream was portioned out at birthday parties when I was kid to feed all the hungry kids fast :)