Options

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My way would have been like this:
    You Done there Beast Mode ?
    Then rack those plates SUCKAAA!!!!
    Now, bow to your sensei in the Iron Dojo !!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think you were totally appropriate and considerate in the way you approached the situation. His snide remark about a "please" is just his way of jabbing back at you. You were right. He was wrong. He needed to be right again so he made the "please" comment. Just people being small, that's all.
  • jobegone
    jobegone Posts: 91
    Options
    How about "would you mind taking the weights off because I find them too heavy to lift?" - then he can feel like he's helping someone out and maybe understand the rules, rather than being scolded by his mum.

Thing is I could have lifted them-not squatted it, but lifted the plates off -yeh.I just didn't think it right that I should take off his weights when there is a sign right in front of his nose telling him too. Nor should I have to 'big-up' his ego by making him think he's helping a weakling when I'm not one. This also completely contradicts most of my reasons for lifting at the gym in the first place. I lift to empower myself, not some man at the gym.
  • jobegone
    Options
    My way would have been like this:
    You Done there Beast Mode ?
    Then rack those plates SUCKAAA!!!!
    Now, bow to your sensei in the Iron Dojo !!

:laugh:
    Would have loved to have seen his face !!!
  • DannyBoy863
    DannyBoy863 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nah, you're good. I wonder if he leaves dirty dishes in the sink "because someone might want to use them later." That's a ridiculous excuse.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    He was feeling in the wrong and trying to make himself feel a little better by trying to find something you'd done wrong.

But in fact you did nothing wrong.

The word please, though nice, is not necessary for polite discourse. I would rather have someone say in a nice tone of voice, "Would you pass me the Greek yogurt" than snarl a "Pass the yogurt, please." Polite asking is polite asking.

not to mention that you didn't exactly owe the guy a bunch of politeness for his being thoughtless and rude. But better not to fall to his level.
  • bnybanker
    bnybanker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    He had no problem being rude but becomes ulta-sensitive when he didn't get a" please" --- what a wimp. He should have apologized to you. That's why I lift at home- the rudeness is rampant-too many self absorbed people who care little or nothing about those around them. It's even worse when people sweat all over the equipment and don't even bother to wipe it down. Working out at home spares me the high blood pressure and aggravation. ---
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nah, you're good. I wonder if he leaves dirty dishes in the sink "because someone might want to use them later." That's a ridiculous excuse.
    More like leaving clean plates on the table "because someone might want to use them later."
    Doesn't actually sound too unreasonable like that :).
    Thing is I could have lifted them-not squatted it, but lifted the plates off
    Ah, so you just want him to be a little less lazy so you can be a little more lazy.
    I've never understood why people get so worked up about it.
    I've been moaned at for leaving plates on before because they were too heavy... but then it's my own setup which my friend was using for free - I just suggested she obviously DID need to improve her functional strength and should practice by taking the plates off :D.

From your original post:
    it's not very nice for someone else to come too if that's not a weight they can't use
    For a lot of people, 25kg each side is a base weight - would expect most males a little serious about their squats who do a warm up would be starting around that (and maybe women a bit more into it) - so I suspect if it's purely used for squatting, on average you're making it less convenient not more by getting this sign up and forcing people to remove weights. For MORE people the bar is not a weight they would use, but you're happy with that when it's for others, it seems.
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I can't stand people that don't re-rack. I'm not here to pick up after people. And yes I am rude about it when I tell them.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude...BUT I would have probably not mentioned the sign being on the wall. I would have probably just said, "hey, can you take the plates off?" "Why?" "Because I want to use this machine, and I can't squat that weight." He probably would have just rolled his eyes instead of smarting-off.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    HA, you must be from a different country, cuz I would have just said "WHAT, can you NOT READ?!" and pointed to the sign.

But I'm from Boston... ;)
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, 25kg each side is a base weight - would expect most males a little serious about their squats who do a warm up would be starting around that (and maybe women a bit more into it) - so I suspect if it's purely used for squatting, on average you're making it less convenient not more by getting this sign up and forcing people to remove weights. For MORE people the bar is not a weight they would use, but you're happy with that when it's for others, it seems.

155 lbs is a good warmup for people serious about squats?
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You did nothing wrong OP, people should be racking their weights. If this happened at my gym and the bar was racked on one of the higher slots I would not be able to unload because I am just not tall enough. While I can lift that weight I would have a difficult time lifting it over my head in front of me.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Actually, I'd say most people start with a quick warm-up set of the bar or only slightly heavier. This is generally recognized as best practice to prevent injury.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think you handled it fine. Maybe he was having a bad day and needed to lash out a little. I'd assume his tone had nothing to do with you directly.
  • jobegone
    Options
    Your joking right? 70kg a base weight / warm up weight for the majority of people? And we only have one squat rack in our gym so it's used for deadlifts, overhead presses and even the odd bicep curl or two (why????) so no, it's not making it more inconvenient!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...but I didn't think I was rude, or in the wrong for that matter!!!

Nah, you're fine. There's just something about free weights that in some males drastically increases the production of *kitten*-mone.

EDIT: I squat 300+, and always start with an empty bar.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Nope. This is totally fine. You shouldn't have even had to ASK him in the first place since there is a huge sign saying to do so! I would have done the exact same thing as you as this is something that can happen often at my gym. I always will remember an elderly gentleman having a go at using some of the machines and weights and the poor thing had no chance at taking off a huge weight, i had to help him take them off the poor thing. So not only am I thinking about women (like myself originally) who may need a less weight, I always think back to the poor 80 (or so) year old man who could have got a serious injury.
    Xx All good, well done. These douches need a good reminder x
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Actually, I'd say most people start with a quick warm-up set of the bar or only slightly heavier. This is generally recognized as best practice to prevent injury.

This is NOT what this forum question is about... back to the point now guys.. .
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think he was just ashamed at being asked to do the right thing & be a courteous gym member. Yeah, you could have said "please," but you also thanked him more than once and didn't seem to be a brat about it. His pride is probably a little injured, I don't think you were in the wrong nor do I think you were rude.

ETA: You shouldn't have even needed to ask him, sign on the wall or no sign on the wall. I think you could have said more and been more upfront with him about his inconsiderate behavior and still have come off as anything but rude. I say don't sweat it & don't let him or any of his gym buddies give you any crap about it if you run into him again, either!