Who has lost weight without cutting carbs?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut carbs. I always lost right on schedule with MFP's predictions-- 1 lb per week until the last bit when I set it to half a pound per week.

eta: I've also been in maintenance for about 18 months
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Early in the day, I try to have higher protein foods so that I can have the carby stuff I crave in the afternoon/evening.

May I just say that this is genius. I definitely crave starchier stuff later in the day!

Personally I have always done better losing weight and keeping it off when I restrict my carb intake, but obviously that doesn't work for everyone - kudos to all you people eating 40-50% carbs, and how lucky you are!
  • emmawatts22
    Options
    Me! I eat practically anything I want to eat, I just try to make sure they are within my calorie limits.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 lbs eating a ton of carbs. As others have pointed out, it's just not necessary to eliminate or severely restrict any food group to lose weight, just maintain a caloric deficit. I am currently eating about 2,000 calories a day (TDEE method), averaging about 47% carbs, 26% protein, and 27% fat, and losing weight at a slow but steady 1/2 lb a week. When I lost the majority of my weight I lost at a much faster rate (1.5 lb per week), while eating a higher level of carbs, but backed off the carbs to make room for more protein when I began lifting more. Carbs supply energy for my cycling and running, and I can't imagine giving them up. I just don't get the low-carbers, I am one of the millions of people that have proven that it is not necessary to restrict carbs to lose weight in a healthy manner.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to carbs and typically lose 2 lbs a week unless I hit a plateau. I am down 15 lbs since January 2. I still eat bread, cheese and pasta, but I eat the serving size only and always read the packages to compare food so I am sure I am buying the healthiest things. Feel free to peek at my diary for ideas. (Just ignore yesterday, LOL, I had pizza! - I'm a firm believer in cheat days now and then). I also work out 6 days a week for 1/2 hour -1 hour each time, depending on what I'm doing. (elliptical, strength training/kettlebell and exercise ball).
  • kirstymarian
    kirstymarian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cut carbs as I love them too much. I have lost 34 lbs since this time last year but most of it since Ocotber when I really started to track what I am eating. It is all about recording EVERYTHING you eat and of course exercising. I power walk for an hour each day and I am doing the 5:2 diet. Works a treat!
  • ISWThunder
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs by keeping track of calories and paying no mind to carbs. I've had 28g of carbs so far today (as I eat soup most mornings) and I almost always have rice or mashed potatoes with dinner.
  • sharinganxphunk
    sharinganxphunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18.1lbs in 49 days and I haven't cut out anything. In fact, I've just had some Japanese curry with a generous serving of white rice. If you keep your calories in check you will lose weight.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I lost a few pounds and am maintaining now. I work out frequently, and I usually have 60+% of my calories in carbs.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lb in 10 months cutting out nothing (except second helpings:tongue: ) The most important thing is to log all your calories - even if you just take a chocolate form a box offered round by colleagues! Even if you just pick off a few grapes from the bunch. Use a food scale, especially for hard to judge foods like pasta, granola etc (its so easy to have twice your "portion"!!)

Exercise helps - it helps me by giving me more calories - but the main thing is to keep within your calorie limit.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So far I'm down 13# - I haven't really cut carbs per say.....however since my portions are less I just eat less of them (along with everything else). I use thin sliced bread or open face my sandwiches (only to stay within calorie goals not for the carbs) and I still eat rice, and put sugar in my coffee - everything I used to do - just smaller portions.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Me!! Have lost 50 lbs in the last year... eat everything sometimes within calorie limits set by MFP, sometimes not. Exercising 3-6 days a week-- without going over 3 consecutive days without exercise a week. Ok, that last one has failed several times throughout this last year but I get back to it as soon as I can. Calorie deficit and exercise works wonders when followed-- if I would do a better job at it, I would have reached goal weight by now. Adjusting to this new lifestyle is an ongoing process. Good luck! :D
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call "carbs".

Whole natural foods are often high in carbohydrates, but no one with half a brain would ever tell you to cut vegetables and fruits out of your diet.

The best diets are high in carbs. I lost all the weight i lost by eating fruits and vegetables.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Me. Lost 33lb out of my 44 and never cut carbs. As long as I don't go over my calorie limit I'm fine (and eat pretty healthy of course) I still eat potato, pasta, bread ext. just as they are relatively high calorie I eat them in moderation. Cutting carbs never works as a diet (well I've never met someone where it has) if you're gonna cut anything cut fat.
  • denorios
    denorios Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I never cut carbs. I've lost 76 lbs over the past couple of years - and I don't eat any particular diet, I don't eat 'clean'. I probably don't even eat all that healthily. I eat what I want, stick to my calorie limits, exercise 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes minimum, I have a FitBit that logs my steps and gives me bonus exercise calories, and I always eat back all my exercise calories. I've had some wobbles here and there, gained a bit, lost a bit, plateaued - but basically it's exercise and calorie counting that I always come back to.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Me. Lost 33lb out of my 44 and never cut carbs. As long as I don't go over my calorie limit I'm fine (and eat pretty healthy of course) I still eat potato, pasta, bread ext. just as they are relatively high calorie I eat them in moderation. Cutting carbs never works as a diet (well I've never met someone where it has) if you're gonna cut anything cut fat.
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs and over 24inches off my body in 9-10 months. I worked out 5 days a week all I did was run on my elliptical and do yoga for weight loss. I just logged my food and ate my 12000 calories a day. I always had a balanced diet of all food groups lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proper portions is key as well. I also just cut out all fast foods and I stopped eating so much processed foods and stopped drinking beer and pop.

Hope this helps, Cheers :drinker:

12,000 ???!!!!! I'm switching to YOUR diet ;-)

Oops!!!! lol one too many zeros in there :laugh:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want to...in lesser amounts. I'm not deliberately cutting Carbs...the proportion of macros is probably close to the same as ever....but I'm eating less of everything except fruits and veggies.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on a 1-year anniversary where I've lost whatever the ticker says without deliberately cutting carbs. That said, I do target a minimum intake for protein and fat which can leave not a lot of room for carbs, at least when I pursued a more aggressive calorie deficit.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I lost a total of 65lbs without cutting carbs between August 1, 2010 and March 2011. I started at 200 lbs when my oldest was 9mos down to 135 and I'm 5'5". I followed the MFP calories for 2lbs a week and worked my way up from walking 4 times a week for 45 minutes to running and/ or doing the elliptical 30-40 minutes 5-7 days a week. Since then, I have had my daughter (now 21 months) and had a hip arthroscopy just over a year ago (crutches for 6 weeks) and am at 132 lbs. I'm still logging my calories but I'm at maintenance now.