Losing 200 Pounds, a Success Story in Progress

Options
BeingKevin
BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
I have been obese most of my life. Actually, it is probably fair to say all of my life. I had tried every fad diet known to man and some I invented myself. I tried every magical pill and potion I could find. Some of them even worked, temporarily, but I couldn’t sustain it. Whatever weight I did lose would come back to me twofold. Losing weight actually caused me to gain weight.

Early in the fall of 2012 I was at the lowest point in my life. I had a wife who loved me, a son who adored me, and too many family and friends to count, yet I was in a very dark place, and I was scared. I was scared that my wife would be a widow and that my son would be fatherless way too soon all because of my lifelong problem – obesity. I was scared of my future or if there even was one.

I didn’t have a scale because I didn’t want to know what it would say but the fear I mentioned above convinced me to buy one. It was time to face the truth and see how bad things had gotten. So I went and bought a scale, a nice digital scale that would read up to 450 pounds. When I stepped on that very first day I was scared what number it would read. Unfortunately it wasn’t a number at all – the scale read “ERR,” because I was simply too big for the scale to hold.

That was a difficult thing to see. As hard as losing weight has been for me in my life I realized that not only did I need to lose weight, I needed to lose more than most people even weigh. I possibly needed to lose half my weight. It sounded impossible.

I decided that day that I had one final shot at losing weight. I had one final shot at getting this right. I had one final shot at saving my life. It wasn’t going to happen overnight and it wasn’t going to be easy. I wasn’t going to happen with the help of a crazy diet or a magical pill. I needed to make a new lifestyle that involved eating less as well as being more active, one that I could sustain forever - one that worked.

In the beginning of October, 2012, I set out on an unbelievably difficult journey that would test me in more ways than I ever imagined. It would be a journey that my very life depended on - a journey I had to win.

In the beginning of October, 2012, I weighed over 450 pounds and my very first attempt at exercise was a 15 minute walk that I couldn’t complete. I walked only five minutes before stopping because it hurt too much. My feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back all felt the pain of transporting my oversize body for five minutes without stopping. If I couldn’t walk 15 minutes but I could walk five minutes three times, and I did.

Life has changed a lot for me since the beginning of October, 2012. Then I weighed over 450 pounds and couldn’t walk down my street but this past Saturday morning I weighed 249 pounds and ran 10 miles.

The realization that I lost over 200 pounds is overwhelming to me. While I didn’t want to celebrate it because I still have a ways to go, it would be foolish of me to not admit its significance. It would also be foolish of me to not share this in hopes that somebody out there in a similar position might find hope that it can be done.

Losing over 200 pounds was incredibly difficult for me but looking back on it the key to sustainable weight loss is simple – Never quit. I decided that no matter how hard things got I wouldn’t give up. No matter the temptations, no matter the obstacles, no matter the struggles – I wouldn’t quit. I knew that in past efforts I would let a bad day turn into a bad week. I would let a bad week turn into a bad month. I would let a bad month turn into a bad year. I decided that I wouldn’t let a bad today be a bad tomorrow.

I woke up each morning with a promise to myself that for just that one day I would control my eating and live a more active life. For just that one day I would forget yesterday regardless of how bad it was and focus on being better today. Then at the end of the day, regardless of how that day went, I would go to sleep with the plan to make the same promise the next day. Then I did.

Thank you for reading and good luck on your way to better health. Believe in yourself, because you can do it, and never, ever give up.

Compare_Aug12_Mar14_zps031f8460.jpg

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    amazing and yes you should absolutely celebrate your success...you are one everyday you stick to your goals.

Bravo.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WOW... you look incredible... How do you feel???? So proud of your struggle and for you to do it like you did. I get caught up in the goal weight and not the everyday struggle. Now that I have come here I have learned to log and plan and it sounds like that is what you did by taking I day at a time. Soooooooo happy for you. Thanks for sharing...
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing and inspiring Kevin! You should be proud of each and every goal and milestone you've accomplished! You truly are an inspiration to so many!
  • pylotwife
    pylotwife Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    simply amazing! Congratulations!!!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, my friend. You are awesome, you've done awesome things, you inspire, and I'm proud of you.
    I wouldn’t let a bad today be a bad tomorrow.
    I love this part. :drinker:
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you are the man and a total inspiration.. you have done amazing things.. you are honest about your struggles. witty and smart and a great dad and you aint done yet !!!
  • jpayne1120
    jpayne1120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, thanks for sharing!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!!!
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have goose bumps reading this Kevin; you truly do inspire and I'm so proud of you! You barely look like the same person - YOU'RE ALL HEART!

Happy dance, foot loose and fancy free - you're never quit attitude will endure! :happy:
  • najena
    najena Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new weight loss quote ( Dont let a bad today be a bad tomorrow.) I hope you dont mind me using your quote. Thanks.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and transformation!
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Awesomely inspiring Kevin! Thanks so much for sharing your story and being such a great and supportive MFP friend, I really appreciate you! :flowerforyou:
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Kevin and thank you for sharing! I am honored to call you my friend.
  • llabruce4
    llabruce4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable, my man. Your story is an inspiration to a lot of people on here, and you should be proud as hell.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    It's my first day on this site, and as a person who's healthy weight is half of what I weigh now, I am really glad I chose to read your story. Congratulations, you've done great.
  • MsLaTisha83
    MsLaTisha83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Absolutely AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing! Taking it one day at a time makes a world of difference.
  • mrjiggy
    mrjiggy Posts: 7
    Options
    Congratulations. You are amazing. What you did, and continue to do, is incredibly difficult and I applaud you. Thanks for writing those inspiring words to take it one day at a time. As I go through my weight journey I will keep advice in my head. Don't let one bad day slow you down. forget about it, and concentrate on making today a good day.
  • toomanireasons
    Options
    So happy that you shared this ! So happy that I read it ! it has inspired me today ! Congratulations ! You did this !! Be so Proud !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!