Was this rude because the guy sure thought it was

Options

Replies

• MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This might sound wierd, but I actually don't mind when someone doesn't unrack their weights. I prefer that they dont. I make it a part of my workout. As a matter of fact, my trainer would make me switch out my weights and then his weights. Helps build my strength, arms/ shoulders, and legs for I had to squat to get the 45lb plates up and onto the bar.
    But you are still right, he sould've easily said "Oh I'm sorry, let me get that" or something along the line.

*** And I am also that person that will organize all the weights accordingly. All the 10lbs in their appropriate slots, 25s and 45s as well. Might be my OCD that kicks in. Especially when I go to the gym close to closing time, I know the employees will have to organize them. Like I said I make it part of my workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Lets switch it around and imagine a bloke approached a woman like this.
    I bet we'd see a post on here talking about intimidation and bullying in the weights room, chauvinism and so on.
    Many women do seem to consider it ok to be ruder than they want others to be to them.

In all honesty.....we had that thread about a month ago.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Lets switch it around and imagine a bloke approached a woman like this.
    I bet we'd see a post on here talking about intimidation and bullying in the weights room, chauvinism and so on.
    Many women do seem to consider it ok to be ruder than they want others to be to them.

In all honesty.....we had that thread about a month ago.

Yep. And the answers were pretty much the same. The difference there was that the OP in that one wasn't nearly as polite.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    He sorta seems like a dlck.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like how many are reading into this guy's thoughts and feelings ("He's embarassed at being called out."). How do you know that? I like to give the benefit of doubt - Maybe he is new to lifting (although doubtful at what he was lifting) and didn't know you need to remove the weights or maybe he didn't see the sign. Maybe he was thinking about something else or had a lot on his mind. I've done that from time to time and forgot to remove the weights that I used. Is it possible that someone else may have the same issue?

At the Gold's Gym where I go, a lot of guys and gals don't put away their weights or wipe down the equipment. They just move on. If the weight is one that I can't lift off the equipment (generally greater than 45 pounds on a rack above my waist since I had surgery on my shoulder and should avoid those things), I will ask a staff member to take the weight off rather than piss off the one that left it there. Then the staff member can go and talk to the person who left it there, if that person is known. That is their job. No, I am not passive, but there have been problems at this particular gym where some members have bullied other members over similar things and not getting into that situation in the first place means that I don't get to be a target. I have had, though, guys ask if I want them to take the weights off. Depending upon what I need for that piece of equipment, I will either say "Yes, please" or "No, thank you so very much for asking". I think everyone at this gym has had problems with at least one person or other, but I haven't really had problems.

Although we would like to see people respond, "Oh, hey, I'm really sorry I left them there. Let me take them down for you.", that is the ideal world. We don't live in the ideal world. I agree with Geebusuk in that if the tables were turned and it was a man asking a woman to remove the weights, the woman would have had a hissy fit. Why do I say that? Because I have seen it happen at the gym I go to at least once or twice a month. Woman take it for granted that, since guys are stronger than they are, the guys can remove the weights that the woman used, but lord forbid if that guy leaves the weights on the equipment.

Just a word of advice: Obviously, leaving weights on the squat rack is a problem at your gym. Otherwise, you would not have asked for a sign to be posted. No matter if there is a sign posted or not, if you tell enough men to remove the weights from the equipment, eventually you will be seen as a real b**ch. Is that what you really want?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's common gym etiquette to re-rack your weights. Pretty much ALL gyms have that rule.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    *** And I am also that person that will organize all the weights accordingly. All the 10lbs in their appropriate slots, 25s and 45s as well. Might be my OCD that kicks in. Especially when I go to the gym close to closing time, I know the employees will have to organize them. Like I said I make it part of my workout.

i do the same thing...annoys me to no end
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This might sound wierd, but I actually don't mind when someone doesn't unrack their weights. I prefer that they dont. I make it a part of my workout. As a matter of fact, my trainer would make me switch out my weights and then his weights. Helps build my strength, arms/ shoulders, and legs for I had to squat to get the 45lb plates up and onto the bar.
    But you are still right, he sould've easily said "Oh I'm sorry, let me get that" or something along the line.

This! I also see it as part of my workout.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just a word of advice: Obviously, leaving weights on the squat rack is a problem at your gym. Otherwise, you would not have asked for a sign to be posted. No matter if there is a sign posted or not, if you tell enough men to remove the weights from the equipment, eventually you will be seen as a real b**ch. Is that what you really want?

I threw an out and out ***** fit one friday night- I just started yelling DID NONE OF YOU GRADUATE ****ING HIGH SCHOOL_ CAN YOU NOT MATCH UP THE NUMBERS ON THE WEIGHTS WITH THE NUMBERS ON THE RACKS.

It was a much longer rant than that- and all the regular's were wildly amused but seriously- it can be a problem- and I don't really care if it makes me a bit*h- or someone thinks I"m high maintenance- I'm there to lift- not clean up after anyone else or spend literally 10 minutes looking for the ONE set of 15's we have.

There is a sign in almost EVERY gym EVER known to man kind to re-rack your weights. There is very little excuse to ever leave them there.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like how many are reading into this guy's thoughts and feelings ("He's embarassed at being called out."). How do you know that? I like to give the benefit of doubt - Maybe he is new to lifting (although doubtful at what he was lifting) and didn't know you need to remove the weights or maybe he didn't see the sign. Maybe he was thinking about something else or had a lot on his mind. I've done that from time to time and forgot to remove the weights that I used. Is it possible that someone else may have the same issue?

At the Gold's Gym where I go, a lot of guys and gals don't put away their weights or wipe down the equipment. They just move on. If the weight is one that I can't lift off the equipment (generally greater than 45 pounds on a rack above my waist since I had surgery on my shoulder and should avoid those things), I will ask a staff member to take the weight off rather than piss off the one that left it there. Then the staff member can go and talk to the person who left it there, if that person is known. That is their job. No, I am not passive, but there have been problems at this particular gym where some members have bullied other members over similar things and not getting into that situation in the first place means that I don't get to be a target. I have had, though, guys ask if I want them to take the weights off. Depending upon what I need for that piece of equipment, I will either say "Yes, please" or "No, thank you so very much for asking". I think everyone at this gym has had problems with at least one person or other, but I haven't really had problems.

Although we would like to see people respond, "Oh, hey, I'm really sorry I left them there. Let me take them down for you.", that is the ideal world. We don't live in the ideal world. I agree with Geebusuk in that if the tables were turned and it was a man asking a woman to remove the weights, the woman would have had a hissy fit. Why do I say that? Because I have seen it happen at the gym I go to at least once or twice a month. Woman take it for granted that, since guys are stronger than they are, the guys can remove the weights that the woman used, but lord forbid if that guy leaves the weights on the equipment.

Interesting.

At my gym (also has a multiple signs to replace your weights), I have to re-rack the last person's weights about 80% of the time - they're always long gone so I don't get to call anyone out on it - and I would, though I'd be polite. I couldn't care less if someone sees me as a b****. Especially someone I already see as an inconsiderate a**. Of those I see lifting, it's always the women who re-rack and the men who don't. Even the personal trainers are this way - the lone woman has her clients re-rack and the men don't.

I get really irritated about it because not only am I short and light and don't want to be potentially dropping heavy weights on my head, but my gym is connected to a health care system, meaning that a good percentage of the members are doing some form of physical rehab. They definitely shouldn't be having to shift weights in ways not prescribed by their PT. Granted, they should also be asking staff to move those weights for them, but I'm sure a good percentage think they can manage. I wonder how many people have injured themselves that way?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Why is it her problem and not theirs if they can't follow a simple set of manners? IDGAF if people don't like to be told to follow the rules, especially when they're reasonale.
    It does seem she's by far the most worried about it.
    The gym has accommodated the OP by putting a sign up at HER request. Not she is expecting other people to follow what she has instigated - quite possibly they had not even seen the new sign up?
    Reality is, regardless of right and wrong, if one person sets out to tell everyone else THEY are the ones in the wrong, that's unlikely to be how the society as a whole views it.
  • JoRocka
    Options

At my gym (also has a multiple signs to replace your weights), I have to re-rack the last person's weights about 80% of the time - they're always long gone so I don't get to call anyone out on it - and I would, though I'd be polite. I couldn't care less if someone sees me as a b****. Especially someone I already see as an inconsiderate a**. Of those I see lifting, it's always the women who re-rack and the men who don't. Even the personal trainers are this way - the lone woman has her clients re-rack and the men don't.

interesting- I have found that most women do not return their DB's- but those who are using BB will return them. Sometimes you find the little 5's up stairs- or over by the stretching mats or aerobics room.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Oh and on the "well, the employees have to do it" - I've never been convinced by this argument personally.

I worked at a Starbucks for some time years ago, I've also recently worked at a music/bike festival stall.
    In both cases I HAVE seen other staff complaining about clearing up after customers.

Me, I saw it as more reason for them to pay me to be or be there for longer, so I get paid more.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Clearly you've never worked at a gym.

1.) So if I am paid by the client... what's my incentive to clean up between clients?
    2.) You have no concept how much you actually move when you clean up- it's thousands of pounds.

Doing SOME clean up is inevitable- everyone I think would agree on that- but when it's constant- it's hard.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    If I was working at a gym but only paid by specific clients, I wouldn't feel the need to tidy up, only to get stuff ready for the next client. (Actually, I'd probably be sitting in a back room doing other work and so on).
    If I was expected to tidy up in my own time I'd either be considering how this might help me (if my clients were the sort to be bothered by a messy gym, excuse to chat to people to get more business etc) - and certainly be expecting a decent rate of pay overall. Or, I'd be looking for a job which paid me for the work I was expected to do.

As far as weight moved when tidying up - working on said stall I was happy to be one of the ones loading and loading the boxes at BOTH ends - carrying a LOT of weight overall. I like getting PAID to be active - sure, I don't get paid as well as when sitting at a keyboard breaking/writing code, but it also means I wasn't so worried by missing the gym thanks to 12hour + shifts, as I was constantly using my body/muscles. Beats paying someone else to get exercise myself!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I should have a sign put up in my gym. There's a regular there who is *always* leaving the bar loaded after every freaking workout.

(Full disclosure: My gym is in my basement...and I'm the only one who uses it.)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    If I was working at a gym but only paid by specific clients, I wouldn't feel the need to tidy up, only to get stuff ready for the next client. (Actually, I'd probably be sitting in a back room doing other work and so on).
    If I was expected to tidy up in my own time I'd either be considering how this might help me (if my clients were the sort to be bothered by a messy gym, excuse to chat to people to get more business etc) - and certainly be expecting a decent rate of pay overall. Or, I'd be looking for a job which paid me for the work I was expected to do.

As far as weight moved when tidying up - working on said stall I was happy to be one of the ones loading and loading the boxes at BOTH ends - carrying a LOT of weight overall. I like getting PAID to be active - sure, I don't get paid as well as when sitting at a keyboard breaking/writing code, but it also means I wasn't so worried by missing the gym thanks to 12hour + shifts, as I was constantly using my body/muscles. Beats paying someone else to get exercise myself!

it's a two fold issue- one it's your gym- people see you standing around and wondering WTF you aren't cleaning up- gives you a bad name.
    Secondly- working for free sucks.
    It's REALLY hard on the body- I was part time- and there about 20 hrs a week and I got burnt out fast trying to save face. I worked construction for 5 years- my body got super beat up- i don't have an issue pushing it- but I am not interested in manual labor anymore. I'm not young enough to sustain that life style.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    He sorta seems like a dlck.
    +1
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Trust me on this, you do NOT want to be a trainer, or any employee, in a messy, disorganized gym. You want to know where the equipment is for your clients. You don't want your clients tripping over or stepping around left out plates. And the type of clients that don't care if they train in a craphole are not the type to shell out big money month after month to pay for personal training. And how many people in the world can lift 120 pound dumbbells off the floor to put them back all day, every day? Not a single person on the maintenance staff of the gym I go to. And not 80% of the trainers, either.