Eating junk food but still losing weight

Options
124»

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I didn't read the whole topic, but for e personally it is 90% exercise & 10% diet. I gained weight eating completely clean and sticking to 1200 cal/day (and eating clean) without exercise and still lose no matter how much junk food I eat as long as I am exercising. But, I have a screwed up metabolism and can only lose when I exercise.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ideally we would all eat clean 100% of the time but realistically life isn't like that.

If you live by the 80/20 rule you should be fine. That is that you eat healthy 80% of the time.

If you eat 3 meals a day then using the 80/20 rule you could in theory have 3 meals a week where you are not so strict with your calories.

*I am not saying that you have 3 meals a week to go WAY over calories or that you should eat junk 3 times per week but I am saying you can still have your fast food fix (provided you aren't eating 6 burgers inone sitting!!).

I personally try to cook from scratch as much as possible but have one meal a week where I am not 'strict' with myself (usually we go out for dinner or have a few drinks and grab a take away!)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started mfp just after Christmas, so my diary then was full of complete cr@p! Slowly I started to want more food for my calorie 'buck' and tended to make better choices.

Now I eat whatever, within my calories. With the chippy, I share a small portion of fries and don't eat all the batter on my fish. When I was losing, mc D's calories scared me, so I had a garden salad and small fries. I used to have the kids' meal, but the burger has no veg, so next time I think I'll go for a kids' meal plus salad.

There are great tricks. I love peshwari naan, and discovered that if I had half one night, the other half was great from the toaster the next morning. In the UK, Wetherspoons has some brilliant low calorie options (super food salad, dressing on the side, with salmon or chicken) if you want to eat out with friends.

Hope that helps, and well done for starting the switch already.
  • ChezBubbles
    ChezBubbles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel so much more motivated now. I can see that it's all about making small changes as I go along rather than depriving myself. A little of what I want is not too bad but in moderation.

I was even motivated to do 20 minutes exercise before leaving for work this morning :happy:
  • vanessaedokpayi
    Options
    i suggest eating healthy junk food. Garden of Eatin makes some REALLY good chips. They have red hot or original, also kashi has chocolate almond butter cookies that are really good they're really healthy too ! you can try it with all natural salsa. You can have fruits to calm sugar cravings uh Vans has waffles that have quinoa, amaranth, millet and a bunch of other grains NO DAIRY NOR EGG just 100 % all natural i like to eat mine with PB & Company's white chocolate wonderful peanut butter which is also all natural so try it it try quinoa instead of rice and try to steam :laugh: :smile:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    i suggest eating healthy junk food. Garden of Eatin makes some REALLY good chips. They have red hot or original, also kashi has chocolate almond butter cookies that are really good they're really healthy too ! you can try it with all natural salsa. You can have fruits to calm sugar cravings uh Vans has waffles that have quinoa, amaranth, millet and a bunch of other grains NO DAIRY NOR EGG just 100 % all natural i like to eat mine with PB & Company's white chocolate wonderful peanut butter which is also all natural so try it it try quinoa instead of rice and try to steam :laugh: :smile:
    Strong 1st thread resurrection, I wonder if OP got the answer after 3 years of waiting
  • Forever99lbs
    Forever99lbs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lucky you
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My friend William Greens ( Golden Wrapper, Hard 10, Hangmen) eats nothing but junk food and he's ripped and super strong. I think its because he works out and gets +8 hours of sleep.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Is this possible? I think I am addicted to junk food and wondered if I would still lose weight if I continued to eat it but stay within my calories............

Any comments?????

If you don't have a damaged metabolism or metabolic disorders, then probably yes you can.

However, you would not be supplying your body with the correct nutrients.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. You are not addicted to "junk food".

2. I don't like to label food. Even food traditionally labled as "junk food" has some nutritional value and can have a place in a well balanced healthy diet.

3. Yes, you can't lose weight while eating "junk food". Weight loss is controlled by calorie deficit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strong 1st thread resurrection, I wonder if OP got the answer after 3 years of waiting

Damn it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    1. You are not addicted to "junk food".

2. I don't like to label food. Even food traditionally labled as "junk food" has some nutritional value and can have a place in a well balanced healthy diet.

3. Yes, you can't lose weight while eating "junk food". Weight loss is controlled by calorie deficit.

Thank you. That was going to be my first response to this thread.

Dittoing all of this.
  • ChezBubbles
    ChezBubbles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting. I have more or less cut out takeaway food now - mainly because I had two children and prefer to cook than feed them crap. I agree that the focus should be on overall health rather than calories in vs calories out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting. I have more or less cut out takeaway food now - mainly because I had two children and prefer to cook than feed them crap. I agree that the focus should be on overall health rather than calories in vs calories out.

I wouldn't feed kids or anyone crap either. Excrement is not food.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes you can still lose weight. If losing weight is all you're interested in then by all means keep eating the junk
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you eat healthy food, but allow yourself some treats in moderation as long as it fits into your macros.