HELP! Is my metabolism messed up?

Options

Replies

• rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    See your doctor if you have concerns and run some tests.

Otherwise I agree with everyone here about portions and food weighing. I had no idea my portions were all out of wack before I bought a food scale and started portioning food correctly.

^ this... I had the same toruble a couple of years ago.. thought it was low T etc...turned out it was a different T..I had an under active thyroid. Took about a year to get dose right. Once that was stablized the logging and exercise took care of the rest of it.
  • BourgeoiseX
    BourgeoiseX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I started logging in my food and portions today. You are all right. I think portion control might be the issue here.

I hope to lose at least 20 pounds by June.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I hope to lose at least 20 pounds by June.
    20 lb. in 12 weeks is unrealistic (and unhealthy) at your size. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. With only 30 lb. to lose, a healthy loss is no more than 1 lb. per week. And it will eventually slow to .5 lb. per week. You need to have realistic expectations and be patient,

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • BourgeoiseX
    BourgeoiseX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Though I think 20lbs in 3 months is realistic considering the fact that I'm quite active.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Though I think 20lbs in 3 months is realistic considering the fact that I'm quite active.

One thing to consider is that the more rapid the weight loss, as a general rule, the higher proportion of muscle is likely lost since it takes fewer calories to burn through a lb of muscle (something like 600) versus a lb a fat (3500). So, if you have a 3500 calorie deficit and you lost only fat, you'd only see a 1 lb loss on the scale. Whereas if it were all muscle, you'd see something like 5.8 lbs loss -- same deficit, but you just lost a lot more muscle than fat. But keep in mind, no one loses all muscle and it's difficult to lose all fat -- usually it's some combination of both. And losing LBM will hurt your fat loss efforts going forward as muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does.

Here's a good article that describes it more: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Two ways to help minimize lean body mass (i.e. muscle) loss while in a caloric deficit is (1) heavy lifting (3x5, stronglifts, etc.) and (2) eating adequate protein (at least 0.7 g protein per lb body weight).

If you can, try to focus on other numbers to quantify (calorie deficit, miles ran/walked/hiked, weight increases in lifting, etc.) rather than the scale as losing weight may actually not get you where you want to go as much.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options

One thing to consider is that the more rapid the weight loss, as a general rule, the higher proportion of muscle is likely lost since it takes fewer calories to burn through a lb of muscle (something like 600) versus a lb a fat (3500). So, if you have a 3500 calorie deficit and you lost only fat, you'd only see a 1 lb loss on the scale. Whereas if it were all muscle, you'd see something like 5.8 lbs loss -- same deficit, but you just lost a lot more muscle than fat. But keep in mind, no one loses all muscle and it's difficult to lose all fat -- usually it's some combination of both. And losing LBM will hurt your fat loss efforts going forward as muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does.

Here's a good article that describes it more: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Two ways to help minimize lean body mass (i.e. muscle) loss while in a caloric deficit is (1) heavy lifting (3x5, stronglifts, etc.) and (2) eating adequate protein (at least 0.7 g protein per lb body weight).

If you can, try to focus on other numbers to quantify (calorie deficit, miles ran/walked/hiked, weight increases in lifting, etc.) rather than the scale as losing weight may actually not get you where you want to go as much.

This is a big myth. LOL.
    Options
    OP, not sure where you are from, but you can get your RMR tested and measured if you are concerned about metabolism. They test you with a mask while resting on a chair. The results should give you what your RMR is and also will give you the comparison of your metabolism with some one your height and weight. Anything less than normal would mean, you are on the lower end.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

This is a big myth. LOL.

What part of it is a myth?

Here is someone that explained it better than I did, with the link to the research: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
    Options
    Body doesn't just start burning muscle. Its often the last resort. Many things have to happen before body starts burning muscle for fuel. I lost 3 lbs a week as my muscles got bigger and my metabolism went up by 18% during the loss. I am not talking about some formula from a blog or internet. I worked with a university monitoring different body stats, metabolism, fat testing in a ultrasound scanner. I usually take these statements with grain of salt unless you are a medical doctor who is doing it on yourself or to your patients. Its impossible to say something like that with out knowing the patient history.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Body doesn't just start burning muscle. Its often the last resort. Many things have to happen before body starts burning muscle for fuel. I lost 3 lbs a week as my muscles got bigger and my metabolism went up by 18% during the loss. I am not talking about some formula from a blog or internet. I worked with a university monitoring different body stats, metabolism, fat testing in a ultrasound scanner. I usually take these statements with grain of salt unless you are a medical doctor who is doing it on yourself or to your patients. Its impossible to say something like that with out knowing the patient history.

I believe you're wildly incorrect on muscle being the last resort as a fuel source. Depending on the circumstances, it can be the preferred fuel source in a caloric deficit as it's easier for the body to break down muscle into glycogen for quick fuel than it is for fat. Otherwise, overweight people wouldn't have to worry about muscle loss during a calorie deficit.

Once again, where is the myth? What part are you positing is incorrect?
    Options
    I eat 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. If protein/muscle was preferred source of fuel for my body, I would have lost lot of muscle. Yet sitting on a couch I burn 200 g of fat every day, not muscle even on days with calorie deficit. Don't believe what you read on the internet blogs. Its very consistent with the university I work with, and not something where you see body burning all the muscle.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I eat 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. If protein/muscle was preferred source of fuel for my body, I would have lost lot of muscle. Yet sitting on a couch I burn 200 g of fat every day, not muscle even on days with calorie deficit. Don't believe what you read on the internet blogs. Its very consistent with the university I work with, and not something where you see body burning all the muscle.

I don't think you're understanding the underlying processes correctly. Why do you think you would have lost a lot of muscle based on your dietary intake of 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs? If you were eating at maintenance or surplus, there would be no reason for your body to break down muscle. If you were eating at a caloric deficit, it may happen (but can be preserved or minimized with adequate protein intake and heavy resistance training).
    Options

I don't think you're understanding the underlying processes correctly. Why do you think you would have lost a lot of muscle based on your dietary intake of 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs? If you were eating at maintenance or surplus, there would be no reason for your body to break down muscle. If you were eating at a caloric deficit, it may happen (but can be preserved or minimized with adequate protein intake and heavy resistance training).

Nope, the body doesn't work that way when it comes to fuel. I will dumb down the science for you if you don't have a bio chemistry or medical background. The body breaks down ATP from either glycogen/Fat or protein/lactic acid. The liver (glycogen supplies 2 ATP, fat supplies 34 ATP and the lactic acid comes last last usually at higher intensities. The problem most people face is they do high intensity exercises where the lactic acid is primary fuel because there aren't eating enough and fat can't keep up with the energy requirement. If your body is fat adapted, it can supply the energy just fine till you increase the intensity. IYes people lose muscle but thats because they eat too little and don't work out at the right levels. Human body can adapt just fine and for thousands of years did just fine when people would go with out food for a period of time. I am done here but unless you have a medical degree or know bio chemistry stop spreading rumors or fake science.

There was a scientific experiment done on a Man who starved for weeks and how the body reacted, its widely quoted study on how the liver reacts and what fuel the body uses.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Nope, the body doesn't work that way when it comes to fuel. I will dumb down the science for you if you don't have a bio chemistry or medical background. The body breaks down ATP from either glycogen/Fat or protein/lactic acid. The liver (glycogen supplies 2 ATP, fat supplies 34 ATP and the lactic acid comes last last usually at higher intensities. The problem most people face is they do high intensity exercises where the lactic acid is primary fuel because there aren't eating enough and fat can't keep up with the energy requirement. If your body is fat adapted, it can supply the energy just fine till you increase the intensity. IYes people lose muscle but thats because they eat too little and don't work out at the right levels. Human body can adapt just fine and for thousands of years did just fine when people would go with out food for a period of time. I am done here but unless you have a medical degree or know bio chemistry stop spreading rumors or fake science.

There was a scientific experiment done on a Man who starved for weeks and how the body reacted, its widely quoted study on how the liver reacts and what fuel the body uses.

Actually, I do have a degree -- in biology from UC Berkeley, so I understand the science fairly well. But, thanks.

Once again, not sure where your conflict is here. So, far I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but your understanding of the role of lactic acid, protein and fat in cellular respiration is incorrect.

Lactic acid is a byproduct of anaerobic cellular respiration -- when there is not enough oxygen present for the higher yield aerobic respiration seen in the Krebs cycle. It only consists of the first step of glycolysis where glucose is broken down into pyruvic acid along with two ATP and the pyruvic acid yields lactic acid after a reaction with NADH. This is why lactic acid builds up in muscles during high intensity exercise -- because the body cannot provide the cells enough oxygen for continued energy release of the Krebs cycle of aerobic respiration (which provides far more ATP -- 34 or so) -- and why you will eventually cramp and will not be able to continue high intensity exercise for long periods. The better your cardiovascular capacity, the more efficient you will be in delivering oxygen to the cells and can exercise for longer at high intensity levels.

Glucose is the start of both of those processes, not fat nor protein (and certainly not lactic acid which is an end byproduct!). However, where that glucose comes from can be a variety of sources -- already present in the blood stream from carbs, glycogen stores primarily in liver and skeletal muscle, protein (from muscle) and fat (from both muscle and adipose tissue). The body will access blood glucose first, then glycogen stores. Once those are depleted, the body needs to look to both muscle and body fat for extra energy (primarily the liver converts both into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis, which is the synthesis of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources -- i.e. protein and fat). And depending on the circumstances, the body will look to one or the other -- but often a combination of both. The key to better fat loss is minimizing the muscle used as fuel for glucose part of the equation.

So, when you attempt to talk down to someone about something, make sure you get your facts straight.

This is also why higher volume lower intensity exercise will burn a higher percentage of fat vs. muscle. It will not burn as many total calories as high intensity exercise for the same duration, but a higher percentage of the calories it does burn will be fat versus muscle because the body is able to keep up with the oxygen demands in lower intensity exercise (walk, hiking rather than sprints) and break down more fat for energy rather than muscle (after your glycogen stores have been depleted).

So, once again, I agree with you on most of your comments and don't see how any of this contradicts in any way the fact that 1 lb of fat releases 3500 kcals whereas 1 lb of muscle releases much fewer kcals (some say 600, some say closer to 1500). Or the fact that when you're in a caloric deficit, you generally lose both fat and muscle. And one of the ways to minimize or eliminate (though true elimination is difficult) is by significant resistance training and sufficient protein intake.

Once again, where is your conflict?
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Personally I've been off MFP for a long time because it was doing my head in all that calorie counting and anguish over whether what you are doing is right.
    I'm now at a stage where I weigh myself fortnightly and do a BF measure at the gym (as i'm gaining muscle slowly).
    I eat very clean and over a period of weeks I found the right balance of eating so that I was exactly maintaining, not gaining not losing.
    Then I figured if I either ate less or exercised more I would lose weight. But held myself back from going crazy on either. So four days a week I exercise , a good variety of weights, HILT and steady state cardio. On those days I eat a little more. On the rest days I eat just 2-300 calories less. One egg instead of two in the morning. An apple instead of a banana. Really small tweaks just to cut back a little.
    And now its getting warmer try to do an hours walk a day (which I don't really count as exercise being pretty fit and not finding that much of an effort).
    it is working very slowly but a lot less painfully and I am more at peace mentally. I am losing those last few pounds that are SO hard to take off.
    so thats what I do, what I'm saying is be patient and learn what works for your body, make one small tweak each week until you start seeing it is working. Moderation being key.
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You sound like me! Honestly stuck at 170 lbs for so long (5ft 6 inches). Really though I ate healthily too.
    Using MFP I have lost 20lbs and am now 150lbs - on track to loose my last 10lbs by 1st May.

How I finally did it -
    I log everything I put in my mouth - my goal is to eat 1400 cals a day.
    I then do an hour of exercise a day to burn 500 cals.
    I eat loads -
    big salads, huge bowls of soup, lots of veggies and fruit to bulk out my meals with fewer calories.
    I am now averaging a 1 and a half pound weight loss a week.

Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You sound like me! Honestly stuck at 170 lbs for so long (5ft 6 inches). Really though I ate healthily too.
    Using MFP I have lost 20lbs and am now 150lbs - on track to loose my last 10lbs by 1st May.

How I finally did it -
    I log everything I put in my mouth - my goal is to eat 1400 cals a day.
    I then do an hour of exercise a day to burn 500 cals.
    I eat loads -
    big salads, huge bowls of soup, lots of veggies and fruit to bulk out my meals with fewer calories.
    I am now averaging a 1 and a half pound weight loss a week.

Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • sazattack
    sazattack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're taking pre-natal vitamins as opposed to a regular multi?
  • jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention counting calories or any system to keep track of your food intake so I'm gonna say "You're probably eating more than you think." It's easy to not notice extra calories here and there (coffee creamer, butter on toast, etc).

Your exercise is awesome! But you can't out exercise a bad diet and even healthy foods can add up to being a being diet if not closely monitored.

I would never have believed that long ago, but I've proven it to myself time and time again. Exercise is awesome and don't quit doing it, but yeah, like 90% of weight loss is a good healthly food plan (diet). I try not to use the word diet, because it has such a negative meaning to a lot of people, but diet really just means what your food plan consists of for the day. By tracking on MFP and logging your food intake and your exercising that you do, you will definitely tell a difference. If you don't, I would see a doctor asap at that point. They can do blood work and testing that could tell you if something is wrong.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options

People are stupid..