Is BYOB acceptable?

Options

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I think it's acceptable. I always do anyway whether it's required or not because I'm worried there won't be enough.
  • goldie21047
    goldie21047 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind at all -- being invited to a BYOB. I sometimes pale at my own bar tab and certainly wouldn't want anyone else to have to support my habit. Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to provide something to please everyone -- what with the endless variety of martinis and microbrews.

Funny thing is, that although I generally ask if I can bring anything else, i.e. food, I feel a bit imposed upon to have the request made at invitation -- as in "bring a dish to share." If, as host, one doesn't even want to provide food, why bother. BYOB, to me, is a different situation.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with BYOB especially if you aren't really drinkers.

However...I did find out it is bad manners to bring a couple of bottles of wine to a dinner party, and take the unopened bottles of wine back home with you. I got deleted from a few people's FB over that little faux pas.

It's pretty tacky...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    BYOB is totally OK.

Buy some Genesee or Genny Light for the community cooler for those that don't bring any.

I don't think we have that in Canada? Is that beer?

I think I'm gonna get a keg.

it's just really, really, cheap beer.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In the UK it's generally accepted that the host provides food and mixers, the guests bring booze (and food if they want to, but it's not generally necessary...)

Of course, the hosts also have booze to contribute usually, if you do this regularly - that's how you get rid of the last lot of booze that was left after the last party!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to go against the crowd here and say no to the byob on the invite. If it were just your friends, byob is fine. But since you are inviting his coworkers and foreman, I would not put that on the invitation. You don't have to buy a lot of alcohol for the party. Most people will show up with a bottle of something or some beer so you will end up having plenty there. If people ask if they can bring something when they RSVP, you could always suggest they bring some type of alcohol. I think I'm older than you are though. I would probably feel differently if I were in my 20s.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone I know would expect the booze NOT to be BYOB, totally acceptable IMO!

offer some snacks and/or dinner!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

However...I did find out it is bad manners to bring a couple of bottles of wine to a dinner party, and take the unopened bottles of wine back home with you. I got deleted from a few people's FB over that little faux pas.

It's pretty tacky...

Yup, there's a difference between BYOB and a hostess gift. A dinner party calls for a hostess gift and you don't take it home with you. If it's BYOB, you take it home with you.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We always do BYOB. I know that we could drink off someone else, but I was raised to bring a bottle for the host, lol, usually by bottle meant it was a 26 of rye or vodka or a couple dozen beer, everyone shared off it, so it wasn't just the host who was pulling out. I think its perfectly acceptable.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

It's pretty tacky...

Yup, there's a difference between BYOB and a hostess gift. A dinner party calls for a hostess gift and you don't take it home with you. If it's BYOB, you take it home with you.

Here's what is weird...I took like 4 bottles for about 6 people or 8 people- two bottles were opened...2 were not. So I took just one back, b/c it was something I had wanted to try and it didn't get opened. So I announced this...everyone seemed cool with it at the time. But apparently it was an issue.

And as far as the host gift...I haven't thought of it that way, b/c the lady who invited us over...didn't cook a SINGLE thing. Everyone else brought the food, she just provided the space, which I thought was a little strange.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

It's pretty tacky...

Here's what is weird...I took like 4 bottles for about 6 people or 8 people- two bottles were opened...2 were not. So I took just one back, b/c it was something I had wanted to try and it didn't get opened. So I announced this...everyone seemed cool with it at the time. But apparently it was an issue.

And as far as the host gift...I haven't thought of it that way, b/c the lady who invited us over...didn't cook a SINGLE thing. Everyone else brought the food, she just provided the space, which I thought was a little strange.

Shouldn't have annouced you were taking the one bottle. Should have just picked it up as you were leaving and no one would have noticed.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of parties and it is always BYOB, I think it is assumed nowadays. I always make sure I have extra beer and mixers for the ones that forget or maybe weren't planning on drinking. If I were invited to a party and it wasn't BYOB on the invite I would still bring my own.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    BYOB is usually acceptable but you could just put on the invite "appetizers, soda, and a keg of such and such beer will be provided" that way they will know if the want something other than that they will need to bring it. I would do it that way since it is co-workers and his boss coming.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Sure why not. Just let them know you won't be supplying alcohol so if they want any, you will have the mixers (soda probably).
  • BigBadDougs
    BigBadDougs Posts: 155
    Options
    No worries with BYO - it's the Norm here in Ireland. But yeah, you don't take your stuff home at the end of the night. You leave what you don't drink - unless the host is done and you're moving to an after party party, if you know what I mean.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My thing is I'm already feeding your *kitten*...im not getting you drunk too. Maybe im just cheap like that..idk

bahahaha this^ I'm from a small town and ALL of our parties are BYOB. In fact we don't have to say it anymore. It's just too hard to try and please everyone. That person likes Bud, someone else Coors, don't even start on the hard stuff. You could spend hundreds and still not please everyone, so just make sure you have plenty of food to soak up the alcohol quit worrying and have fun!!
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    maybe it's just where im from, but BYOB is normal. and completely acceptable with large crowds. as long as you throw in a bit too, and have a cooler.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just threw a party. The guests were informed that there was food, water and soda. If they chose to drink something else, bring for themselves and enough to share.
    This worked out to be enough for themselves and the people who "forgot" to bring something.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. Even with food you could say bring a dish to pass.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of parties and it is always BYOB, I think it is assumed nowadays. I always make sure I have extra beer and mixers for the ones that forget or maybe weren't planning on drinking. If I were invited to a party and it wasn't BYOB on the invite I would still bring my own.

I like you!