Fish For Beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• melbelfit
    Options
    Salmon is very high in omega 3 and I personally love the taste of halibut. Unfortunately, they can be very expensive. The most important factor I've found is it must be fresh, otherwise it gets that fishy funk. One other thing I thought I'd share:

There are a lot of posts here referencing Tipalia. Although fish in general is a very lean source of protein, I recently read that Tipalia may not be as healthy as you might expect...
    "Farm-raised tilapia, one of the most highly consumed fish in America, has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, according to new research from Wake Forest University School of Medicine."
    "Tilapia has higher levels of potentially detrimental long-chain omega-6 fatty acids than 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and even pork bacon"

read more at...
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/114274.php
  • zumba66girl
    Options
    bump
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there that dislikes fish! I really struggle to eat it at all. Nothing about it appeals to me... the smell, the look, the taste. Eh!:-P I keep trying it because I know it's supposed to be so good for you, but I still haven't been won over.

For most of my life the only fish I ate was tuna from a can. I loved its saltiness, plus it didn't have that overpowering fishy flavor that I hate so much. I never really liked fish sticks unless they were drenched in tartar sauce. I can't stand the weird texture of shrimp. Nasty!

I've just started experimenting with fish again, after my life-long hatred of it. So far, I've found that I like tilapia, especially with old bay seasoning. I make it on top of the stove with a little olive oil or on the grill, sprinkling on the seasoning near the end. MMM. It's very good.

I've tried perch and salmon, but I didn't like their texture or seafoody flavor. If anyone has additional ideas, I would appreciate them!:-) I'm not sure I can bring myself to do clams/oysters. The look of them makes me want to gag....*LOL*

Shannon
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos are awsome!!! and if you cook them right, with the right kind of fish they are excellent!
  • ElenaRenee
    Options
    Hey!
    I used to dislike fish but now have grown to love salmon.

Try putting a bit of honey, garlic and lemon juice and basil and baking it in the oven.

Also if you really dont like the tase, make a low/no fat yogurt with dill sauce to eat with the salmon, its delicious!

Sounds good! I have to second the idea for serving salmon with a lowfat yogurt and dill sauce. If you aren't fond of the strong taste of some fish, a zesty sauce is the way to go.

I like to poach my salmon by slowly cooking it in barely simmering water (completely submerged) that is seasoned with lemon juice and salt and pepper. The fish is done when it is barely firm and slightly opaque. Should be smooth inside not super dry or flaky because then you've overcooked it. Chill the filet.

Serve with sauce:
    1 cup lowfat plain yogurt (2% or 1% Greek is great)
    2 T Dijon Mustard
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    Half a bunch of chopped Fresh Dill
    1 finely chopped Shallot
    kosher salt and pepper to taste

Serve filet over butter lettuce and sliced cucumbers and spoon sauce over!!! yummy
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for your help everyone! We're having fish tonight... we'll see how it goes!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tilapia -

3-4 TIlapia fillets
    Olive oil
    1 lemon
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    Panko bread crumbs

Coat the fillets in olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, pepper, and salt - both sides. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze juice over fillets. Sprinkle panko bread crumbs onto fillets.
    Broil (525) for 15 minutes- check for done-ness by breaking off a part with a fork or spatula. When the flesh is opaque and the breadcrumbs are browning (on the fish!) the fish is done!
    This serves 3 people, or at least it did in my house.
    You can do it without the breadcrumbs, I find it's easier to get non-fish folks to eat it when it's breaded =)
  • alain1976
    Options
    I am like you, I can't stand fish or the more particularly the smell of fish, unless is Sushi or cooked by someone else... So to cook it at home my butcher told me how to cook it with out the smell.

Ingred.
    Salmon ( I prefer the steak cut, yes its a little more but its easier)
    1 -2 lemons depending on how much salmon to cook
    1 garlic clove minced tiny or shaved.
    some tin foil.
    optional salt.

HOW TO COOK:
    Pre-heat over 350
    Take piece of tin foil place on cooking sheet
    Place salmon, skin side down on to tin foil.
    Sprinkle garlic all over salmon
    If using salt, a lil salt - like less than a dash.
    Squeeze lemon juice all over salmon
    Wrap tin foil to make a little pouch.
    Cook in over for 20 minutes, or until the salmon is the flaky with a fork.
    Serve with rice and veg and enjoy.

That is the easiest way to make fish and also to make it taste the way you want. I use whole fish with this method and stuff it with onions, garlic, carrots and whatever else I feel like putting in there.

If you can do the can thing, the flavored tuna is popular with people who aren't big fans of fish. Delicious on crackers!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish - but it has to be wild caught AND fresh! For a white fish (like halibut) I toss it in a light bottled italian dressing and sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on it I bake at 350 for 30 mins (one or two seperate pieces). How easy is THAT! AND delicious!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the posts so someone might have said this. Tilapia is a great fish if you aren't fond of fish. It is a white fish and has a very, very mild flavor.

Lemon pepper on fish is my fave!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    easy! i love fish, any types of fish...i had a salmon fillet last night....i just sprayed a sheet of tin foil, put my fillet on top of it, sprinkled with lemon pepper and tossed it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees...awesome! squeeze some more lemon on it if you want and place on top of brown rice...oh so good...or instead of lemon pepper sprinkle some brown sugar on it....oh my mouth is watering lol
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend Trader Joe's fish, too! :-) They have some great preseasoned fresh and frozen fish, and also really good plain frozen fish of different kinds. Good prices, too.
    Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They've got some nice seafood options in the meat case & in the frozen section. For example, tonight I had a tasty wild Pacific salmon in a chimichurri sauce. Just had to thaw it and pop it in the oven for 12 minutes.

Also, you can learn a lot about seafood choices from http://www.seafoodwatch.org - it's a guide from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It'll tell you things like whether the seafood is sustainable, if any health advisories have been issued, etc. And they've also got some tasty recipes on the site. If you shop at Whole Foods, they're labeling their wild caught seafood according to the guide to make informed shopping easier. Note: it can be really hard to always find seafood that the guide says is a best choice or good alternative, so don't beat yourself up. But it is good to try. =)

I love shrimp - they're really easy to cook. Pick up some Old Bay spice and steam them; get rid of the shells and thrown them in a wok with a little olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic and serve with some whole wheat pasta; or steam them and serve cold over a salad of mixed greens, tomato, and avocado and your vinaigrette of choice. They're very versatile and hard to mess up.

Don't write off all seafood - there are many kinds. From shrimp, clams and mussels (all are great, steamed with white wine & slices of garlic) to light white fish like fluke, flounder and tilapia (bake in the oven with a little butter/oil and a little sprinkle of paprika on top) to meatier fish like salmon, monkfish, and swordfish (sorry, drawing a blank on a cooking suggestion) - try the different types until you find some that appeal to you. Cheers!