Do you keep your food diary open?

Options

Replies

• kitkatbar972
    Options
    Part of it is a mental thing for me, I used to be a secret eater... wait until everyone else went to bed then raid the cookie jar type stuff, so having an open diary is my way of being upfront and honest with myself. Also gives ideas to others on what you can eat while still losing.

It's a personal choice for me it's beneficial for you... that would be up to you

This.

It's not like the fact that I eat ****ty at times should be a surprise to anyone... I'm on MFP ffs.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Nope. I keep it closed. I don't like the idea of strangers perusing what I've eaten that day, not that I expect anyone to care enough to check it out. Illogical, but there we go.

i keep mine open. Though I've had ppl in real life ask me to join another site and/or invite them here so we can be "friends" while working out. I don't mind strangers seeing my eating habits if they want, but I find it creeps me out to know real life friends/coworkers are scrutinizing my eating habits. Hence half my reason for joining MFP instead of LoseIt.
  • asiantaye
    asiantaye Posts: 26
    Options
    I keep my diary open to give my friends food ideas. I also like the fact that my friends can look and tell me better options for some of my gulity pleasures to stay on track.
  • asiantaye
    Options
    lol, people who do that really help! lol
  • asiantaye
    Options
    lol, yes....yes
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't because... I don't see the point. Can someone please explain to me why letting other people see what you eat is beneficial?

I don't see the point of keeping it private. What I eat is no secret. I learned a lot from the open diaries of people I consider to be successful and hope that there are people who will also learn something from my diary. I also sometimes give advise and personally think that I want to be easily accessible people by keeping my diary open. I eat 1200 calories ( due to age and height ), but eat more food than others and I tend to think that maybe my diary help people who eat low cal to also eat healthy.
    Personally I don't care if people have their diary open or not and would never make an issue out of it.....:o).
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I don't because... I don't see the point. Can someone please explain to me why letting other people see what you eat is beneficial?

I can't see any benefit and I think it's actually weird. LOL.

Why would looking at what someone else eats, help YOU?

I have never understood it, and I probably never will. I don't get it.

So, therefore, mine is closed to the general public. It's open to my friends, though. I only do that because some people get pissy about it.

you aren't asking for advice about things then. otherwise people will have told you it needs to be open for a hope of valid advice
    to each his own. Personally i could care less if people want to troll my diary ,
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Mines open, has been since I started. Never really thought about it. I'm not here to impress anyone so I really don't care if someone wants to see what I eat.

I have had people message me commenting that it's nice to see someone who has been reasonably successful eating normal food so I leave it open in case people are curious and because I really don't care if people want to look.

I normally don't have friends with closed diaries because I have had too many people with eating issues want to be my friend and I won't put up with people anymore who want to starve themselves or not put in the effort required to be successful. I'm not here to be anyone's baby sitter.

Anyone who asks for help on the forums with a closed diary isn't going to get very much.
  • emmylouise25
    Options
    I understand why people keep their diaries open but personally I keep mine set to private, I only hold myself accountable for my eating, I don't want/need other people to do it for me (that's not meant in a snobby way, it's just what works for me :wink: )
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed. I wouldn't ask for advice here. I also wouldn't think my diary would be of any help to anyone. I work around food allergies, intolerances and medical issues I control with diet and exercise. I would not suggest my diet to the average person. I would feel irresponsible leaving if open to the public for those reasons.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm an open book. I also like for people too see my calories burned as well.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed. I wouldn't ask for advice here. I also wouldn't think my diary would be of any help to anyone. I work around food allergies, intolerances and medical issues I control with diet and exercise. I would not suggest my diet to the average person. I would feel irresponsible leaving if open to the public for those reasons.

But one if 1 out of that 5th person have an allergy related to yours? It would be helpful I think.
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both way, and in the end found that it works better FOR ME to keep it private. I don't need any commentary on my diet, I know what works for me and what doesn't. The idea of somebody "judging" my food choices is more detrimental to me than helpful.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for those who keep it closed because they don't want the judgment...if someone actually looked at a strangers diary and commented in a negative way...wow...i can't imagine.

If they were friends easy delete them.

But to each their own. It is very hard however when people do ask for advice on why am I not losing help me and refuse to open their diary...annoying as a matter of fact and counter productive.

If a poster does that I leave the thread because they are hiding something and don't really want help they are just after people who will tell them eat more to lose.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

But one if 1 out of that 5th person have an allergy related to yours? It would be helpful I think.

If it were only food allergies that would be one thing, but I have to omit a lot of foods from diet for reasons other than allergies. As I said, I work around medical issues also and would not suggest my diet to anyone who does not have my specific issues as it would not be sustainable for the average person.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, however it is not pretty sometimes... :) I warned my friends when I opened it that I don't like many fruits and veggies and I am super picky so I eat what I want and there are days that I go over, but you know what at least I logged it so I know what I have done.
  • badshocker
    Options
    I leave mine open because I feel I am less inclined to cheat if I think people may see it.