What annoying comments did you get from your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• ChristianAutumn
    Options
    "Wow you've lost a lot of weight since I last saw you. I wasn't going to say anything before but you were getting pretty big."
    What the heck? Take a lesson from Thumper!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Gee, I only read the first few posts, and wow, some people are so discouraging!!!!!

usually comments are from those who need to do something about their own weight, and they are voicing the stuff that goes on in their own head, which is why they are fat and you are not.

such discouragement especially from our friends and loved ones & family. :(

so far, i have not had any discouraging comments, im grateful for that. Encouragement goes a long way. indeed.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    ..."Mom, can you stop dieting? My friends think you are hot."

Best. Comment. Ever. :bigsmile:
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My uncle in Germany....
    "You are just skin and bones. Here have another piece of cream torte (#4!!)" - Blargh! It was good though. lol

(good old 2nd WW 3 year POW w/ Russian attitude I figured though)
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ..."Mom, can you stop dieting? My friends think you are hot."

Wow! I need to work on my 8 year old...... lol
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My other half tells me I look anorexic and then says all I do is eat all day. Make your mind up lol.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this again? You know you're gonna just gain it all back

That is horrible!

I had lost 100 pounds when I was 27 and a good friend of mine told me "it won't last", well unfortunately she was right but why would she say that?

I think jealousy makes some really say some rude things to those of us trying to improve our health and the way we look.
  • alijune74
    alijune74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suggest P90X...I had struggled with so many different thigs and this enabled me to lose fat and gain muscle. Then no one could say any of that...
    Anyway, how rude...I am sorry people have been so mean to you. What matters is what you think...also, consider the source! Hang in there...
  • alijune74
    alijune74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree, jealosy plays a huge part in peoples' comments before. My best friend is very overweight and always complains when I won't eat the garbage she eats...so annoying...
    Hey, if you are strong enough to lose the weight you are strong enough to know such comments don't matter!
    Once again, consider the source and the motivations people have for saying these things...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I agree, jealosy plays a huge part in peoples' comments before. My best friend is very overweight and always complains when I won't eat the garbage she eats...so annoying...

I would purposely fit some crap food into my calorie allotment, eat THAT food around her, and keep losing weight.
    That'd REALLY chap her. hehe

Screwing with jealous and vindictive people. win.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's a petty reason to lose weight.

When I said I wanted to be able to wear stylish clothes
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "I can't tell you used to be heavy". I love this one. I visualize formerly heavy people walking around with a dotted outline around their body showing what their former outline was.

Some of the comments people have posted in this thread that they've heard from others have been horrible! It just goes to show you that for some people, having someone fat around makes them feel good about themselves. When you lose weight, some people find that threatening.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Most annoying as people not even interested in how I got rid of the fat: "make sure you live a little!"

?!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    To paraphrase many statements

:Rolls Eyes: "Oh yeah, like one little -insert treat here- is going to kill you."

No, but one little treat after another is how I got myself in trouble to begin with. I'm great at maintaining strict habits, and cruddy at maintaining moderate ones.

Also, the amount of joy in my life doesn't hinge on how much pizza, beer, and cake is in my diet. Apparently it comes as a shock to many people that you can turn down a box of Girl Scout cookies and not wind up crying yourself to sleep over it.
  • ashamedbe
    ashamedbe Posts: 11
    Options
    This is the best thread ever, I can relate to so many of these!!!

I got many nice ones 6 months after I started, basically when it was clear I wasn't obese anymore, but I was still overweight. Then when I was going from overweight towards normal weight, suddenly they were all negative :/ and I never even got to goal weight but still had to deal with that "you're too skinny" crap... Jeez, it's not like you see me in a swimsuit, you just see me with layers of loose clothes that disguise where I keep the fat! Can't you trust me if I tell you I'm still overweight? People who want to know you better than you know yourself when they know ZERO about you or your body. Ugh
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I've had positive comments about my weight loss. I get quite a bit of people asking for advice then coming up with excuses why counting calories and exercise won't work.

One comment that hurt a bit...my husband's friend said to him, in front of me, after I'd lost about 50 lbs. "watch out, she might get hot if she loses more weight." uh, huh, thanks...I guess.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't really had any outright comments, but I have had two of my 'best' friends stop hanging around with me after I lost weight. Specifically, I stopped being invited to girls nights/clubs because I was getting more attention than they are used to getting. They are both smaller than me STILL, I just have more confidence and talk to people and they didn't like it. I don't talk to them much anymore lol.
  • vpzuck
    vpzuck Posts: 4
    Options
    I've reached my ideal BMI, and feel great, BUT I keep hearing "you're too skinny" "you need to put back some meat on your bones" "is there something wrong with your health". I hear this way more than I hear "you look great". I'm doing the health/fitness program for myself, not for external gratification, but jeez!
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When refusing the offer of crap food in the office... "I miss the old you, when you used to enjoy this stuff with us." and the constant, "oh come on, just eat it." "you can have one" When I refuse, "you're no fun" or "you're too good for my chocolate bar?"

"You don't need to lose weight, you're the skinniest girl in the office."

"When are you going to start having fun again?"
  • valj20
    valj20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HAH! My mother would say semi-similar things to me until I finally said, 'No babies. Never babies. Not from me. No.' After a couple years it's finally solid. Now she wants me to get more dogs (grand-dogs?)