Sugar

Options

Replies

• Pertinacy
    Pertinacy Posts: 131
    Options
    There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

There are a lot of people on here that will try to disprove that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Will tell you all sugars are the same, they are not, there is a difference in monosaccharides and disaccharides (for joy, some new stuff for all you people to google).

And addiction is an obsession of the mind...period. Most alcoholics are not physically addicted to alcohol. Gambling and sex addicts the same. It has to do with the reward system in the brain as well as with an obsession.

If you feel that once you start eating a disaccharide that you can not stop with one portion, you should cut it out of your life. Simple as that.

If you can not eat it in moderation, dont eat it at all, no matter how many people try to bully you into feeling shame for not being able to do it.
    people on the internet can bully someone into feeling shame?

i think bully is way overused on this site. If people do not like what the are reading they can shut off their computer and walk away.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

There are a lot of people on here that will try to disprove that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Will tell you all sugars are the same, they are not, there is a difference in monosaccharides and disaccharides (for joy, some new stuff for all you people to google).

And addiction is an obsession of the mind...period. Most alcoholics are not physically addicted to alcohol. Gambling and sex addicts the same. It has to do with the reward system in the brain as well as with an obsession.

If you feel that once you start eating a disaccharide that you can not stop with one portion, you should cut it out of your life. Simple as that.

If you can not eat it in moderation, dont eat it at all, no matter how many people try to bully you into feeling shame for not being able to do it.

i think bully is way overused on this site. If people do not like what the are reading they can shut off their computer and walk away.
    This!

I hate when people ask for advice, and then get upset when it's not what they want to hear.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you can go cold turkey for a week or two, most fruits taste as sweet as candy did.

Sadly, there's no magic pill for the will power.

Don't buy it and you won't eat it. That's all I got.
    But fruit has sugar, why keep feeding the addiction

I hear what you're saying, but they're different kinds of sugar. Fruit has tons of nutrients while candy has none.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If you can go cold turkey for a week or two, most fruits taste as sweet as candy did.

I hear what you're saying, but they're different kinds of sugar. Fruit has tons of nutrients while candy has none.

Right but I think the point is that sugar is sugar. I love fruit, don't get me wrong. If I need the fiber or the vitamins, I turn to fruit. If I want a snickers (Hey there's nuts in there!), I'll eat that. But to eliminate the candy bar in favor of the fruit purely because of the sugar to me is pointless.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    If EVERYTHING that made us feel good was considered "addicting", then why aren't people just watching babies laugh, a child smiling after chemo, a belch or burp after a good meal, etc. and have people saying that their are "addicted" to those since they stimulate and bring on a "feel good" response?

Sugar TASTES good. So does fat. So does salty. Combine those 3 in a food that's high calorie......................

There's nothing wrong with wanting to eat good tasting food. The problem is that lots people have no discipline or self control to stop eating more than they should.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

This!

I hate when people ask for advice, and then get upset when it's not what they want to hear.

There is a difference between advice and shaming someone for not being able to eat refined and processed foods in moderation. There is a difference in the sugars.

There is alcohol in most everything, it is distilled and fermented alcohol that alcoholics have to stay away from. When someone is not capable of eating a disaccharide in moderation telling them then they should not be able to eat a monosaccharide either is silly.

Okay, carry on with the if you do not like it leave and you should eat it in moderation advice. I am going for a walk with my love.
  • Mugiwarah
    Mugiwarah Posts: 40
    Options
    Same story here, been on and off it and the cause off me getting back into sugar craving is because off cheatmeals which contain a lot of sugar. Gets fixed for me if I stay away from it for about 3 days up to a week, cravings will be gone
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    alcohol to an alcoholics, like crack to a crack addict, like meth to a meth head, fired foods, sugary stuff, i have known people who are just addicted to food in general. One ate to the point she was on deaths door.. it took years and a lot of work to get her health back. there is such thing as moderation yes, but to an addict there is no such thing. an alcoholics cannot have just one drink, a crack addict cannot have just one smoke, a person hooked on sugar cannot have just one doughnut. They all hurt the body in different ways but they hurt none the less. people seem to laugh about the food addiction one, but yet it is just as dangerous to the body as other addictions. not to say there are not healthy addictions out there, running, swimming, boxing, exc..

Can a sugar addict have 1 grape? 1 glass of milk? 1 slice of an apple? Or they will all lead to a binge? If the answer is yes, then your above post is moot

So it is your contention that addicts can never learn moderation?

Nope, if you actually read the post i was responding to you'd see

"but to an addict there is no such thing. an alcoholics cannot have just one drink, a crack addict cannot have just one smoke, a person hooked on sugar cannot have just one doughnut."

OIC, my bad. I guess my question is moot since that poster already voiced their contention, wrong as it may be.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This!

There is a difference between advice and shaming someone for not being able to eat refined and processed foods in moderation. There is a difference in the sugars.

There is alcohol in most everything, it is distilled and fermented alcohol that alcoholics have to stay away from. When someone is not capable of eating a disaccharide in moderation telling them then they should not be able to eat a monosaccharide either is silly.

Okay, carry on with the if you do not like it leave and you should eat it in moderation advice. I am going for a walk with my love.

So what is the difference between the sucrose in an apple and that in a sugar packet?
  • bcattoes
    Options

This!

So what is the difference between the sucrose in an apple and that in a sugar packet?

Oh, I know! You don't eat the package that the sugar in the packet comes in, but you do eat the package the sugar in the apple comes in. Was that right? Do I win?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If EVERYTHING that made us feel good was considered "addicting", then why aren't people just watching babies laugh, a child smiling after chemo, a belch or burp after a good meal, etc. and have people saying that their are "addicted" to those since they stimulate and bring on a "feel good" response?

Sugar TASTES good. So does fat. So does salty. Combine those 3 in a food that's high calorie......................

There's nothing wrong with wanting to eat good tasting food. The problem is that lots people have no discipline or self control to stop eating more than they should.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why would a baby having chemo make you feel good??
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We need food to live, we don't need drugs or alcohol. Food addiction is becoming an excuse, you will always need to consume food. Therefore, you're going to HAVE to develop some form of self-control and self-regulate intake. Food man, you can't escape it

Unless...photosynthesis. Plants know where it's at.
    But photosynthesis makes sugar! Plants are the source of all of this evil!

I am then the queen of all evil, for I save my plants from the zombies on my lawn.

I see what you did there. +1
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Right but I think the point is that sugar is sugar. I love fruit, don't get me wrong. If I need the fiber or the vitamins, I turn to fruit. If I want a snickers (Hey there's nuts in there!), I'll eat that. But to eliminate the candy bar in favor of the fruit purely because of the sugar to me is pointless.

I eat candy too. Eating fruit instead of sugar for awhile was a suggestion to the lady who created this thread. She said she had an addiction to sugar. I assumed she meant candy. Fruit only for awhile would be a good starting point for getting over a candy addiction.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Eating fruit instead of sugar

This is where I'm getting confused because fruit is sugar.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains sugar.
    Candy contains sugar.
    Donuts contain sugar.
    Those little packages of sugar contain sugar.

All the sugar in all those different packages is chemically identical. The packaging, however, is not identical.

Now to the OP, I had/have a HUGE sweet tooth, and have been known to eat an entire family sized package of cookies in one sitting (cookies being my greatest weakness). I also used to have 4 teaspoons of sugar in every cup of coffee. I have gradually weaned myself off the sugar in my coffee, but I'm pretty confident that if I bought a family sized package of cookies, I may very well eat them all. So I don't buy them. I do still have sweets in moderation, but have to be really, really diligent to measure and log every bite, and not become complacent. I also make sure that the sweet in question is scrumptious enough to warren the calories it's going to cost me! I doubt today I'd waste 300 calories for a mediocre chain food donut.

The sugar though is not to blame, it is after all only a chemical compound, my lack of moderating ability is to blame, and I must do those things necessary to keep myself from binging (like not buying cookies!). If you find you cannot eat a certain food item in moderation, then by all means get rid of it! You may find that at a later date you'll be able to once again enjoy it in moderation.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The question I would ask op, do you perceive that you are addicted to sugar or hyperpalatable foods? What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    The question I would ask op, do you perceive that you are addicted to sugar or hyperpalatable foods? What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

So OP on your thread you said

'I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.'

Good news I have a solution:

What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

I hope that has dealt with your issue - after all we are all here to be supportive :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    When people start licking the counter where that crispy Krispy Kreme was lying I'd say it's more than likely the combination of sugary, fatty, salty, carby foods that people can't seem to resist and not just sugar. It's very popular, and tasty.
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I call Mt. Dew my "liquid heroin" and Oreos are "cookie crack". I cannot drink just one Dew. If I have it in my house, I will drink three or four a day, which leads to more candy, cookies, SUGAR! And then I gain on average .5-1 pound every week.

For me, if my sugar consumption gets out of control, what works for me is to do two weeks of Phase One of South Beach. You cut out all refined/processed foods/grains. You do not eat any fruit or starchy veggies. Lean meats, low fat dairy, beans, lots of green veggies, nuts, healthy oils (like olive oil) are all good. It is really hard to stick to it, but it's only 14 days. At the end of it, my cravings are gone. I appreciate fruits a LOT (I will normally not eat many fruits and veggies if I am eating a lot of sugar). And I add in whole grains- brown rice, 100% whole wheat breads and pastas.

I started over with this the end of January. I am now to the point where I can have some small sugar treats and some processed foods, but I have to be very careful not to eat too many, and I have to stay away from a few "trigger foods/drinks" (mostly sugary drinks).

I am not an advocate of eating low carb all of the time, because like many say, cutting out whole food groups are hard to sustain in the long run. And I believe there are health benefits to good complex carbs. However, forgoing those carbs for a short period of time to get my blood sugar levels normalized is the only way I have found to end the sugar binging cycle.

And then I keep as much of the crap food out of my house as possible. I try to get cookies/treats that my family likes but which are not tempting to me. And it is also important to look at the reasons why we eat those foods. For me, I am an emotional eater. If I am stressed or upset or depressed, I want to eat the junk- ALL THE TIME. And then I let my life take control of me. But if I take control of my life, and my eating, and recognize why I want to eat.... then it becomes easier to say no to the junk.
  • data3567
    data3567 Posts: 21
    Options
    We need food to live, we don't need drugs or alcohol. Food addiction is becoming an excuse, you will always need to consume food. Therefore, you're going to HAVE to develop some form of self-control and self-regulate intake. Food man, you can't escape it

Ummmm..... Not giving up my glass of wine with dinner! Ha ha