Sugar

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The question I would ask op, do you perceive that you are addicted to sugar or hyperpalatable foods? What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

So OP on your thread you said

'I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.'

Good news I have a solution:

What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

I hope that has dealt with your issue - after all we are all here to be supportive :smile:

Thanks, but I am looking for specificity... which types of food... not just sugar which covers a very broad spectrum of foods.
  • binkytoes
    binkytoes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, go two weeks without sugar and see how it affects your cravings. It's something you have to try for yourself. Check out low-carb blogs for recipes & tips. My #1 tip: eat whole foods. I decided to start eating lower-carb because I never want to be forced by health issues to do it. It's a different mindset when you choose it. Best of luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In for sugar vs sugar .
    In as well.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    The question I would ask op, do you perceive that you are addicted to sugar or hyperpalatable foods? What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

'I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.'

What kinds of foods are you binging on? Because whatever they are, just stop eating them.

I hope that has dealt with your issue - after all we are all here to be supportive :smile:

Thanks, but I am looking for specificity... which types of food... not just sugar which covers a very broad spectrum of foods.

sorry my misunderstanding - I clearly misinterpreted - 'because whatever they are just stop eating them'! .

I thought you meant whatever food your eating you can just stop eating them - my mistake.

You obviously meant something else.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

sorry my misunderstanding - I clearly misinterpreted - 'because whatever they are just stop eating them'! .

I thought you meant whatever food your eating you can just stop eating them - my mistake.

Yep, I was meaning is she binging on donuts, chips, cookies, fruit, dairy etc...?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Empty the house of all sugary foods. Lock the doors.
    Introduce a donut soaked in hobo urine.
    Do you eat the donut? If no, congratulations, you are not addicted to sugar.

Imagine yourself completely destitute.
    You are getting just enough food via a food kitchen.
    Someone offers you a snickers bar if you have sex with him in an alley, would you do it? If no, congratulations, you are not addicted to sugar.

You've reached the end of your paycheck.
    Your bills are paid, you have enough regular food in the kitchen to survive until next pay day, but you'd like a donut.
    You notice your friend's purse/wallet on the coffee table, with a 5 half out. Your friend isn't looking. Do you take it to buy donuts? If no, congratulations, you are not addicted to sugar.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Yep, I was meaning is she binging on donuts, chips, cookies, fruit, dairy etc...?

Which of course she can just stop eating!! I see - sorry for the confusion
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Someone offers you a snickers bar if you have sex with him in an alley, would you do it? If no, congratulations, you are not addicted to sugar.

Your bills are paid, you have enough regular food in the kitchen to survive until next pay day, but you'd like a donut.
    You notice your friend's purse/wallet on the coffee table, with a 5 half out. Your friend isn't looking. Do you take it to buy donuts? If no, congratulations, you are not addicted to sugar.

I'm sorry but do you actually know what the definition of addiction is?
  • fitfemlove
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of the year, kind of as a New Year's Resolution. I've lost 40 pounds so far and I feel AMAZING!! Try this system: http://fitfemlove.wordpress.com
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

It certainly doesn't mean "that tastes good, I think I'll have another".
  • CatBird128
    CatBird128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've always found it's a four day thing to break sugar. On the fourth day your body is going nuts telling you to eat whatever you've got. But on the fifth day - it's totally easy. That's the thing - people cut out sugar and get through three days thinking they've licked it, and the fourth day kills you.

So PLAN on the fourth day to be the worst. When you cut out the sugar, get rid of all of it in your house - for god's sake don't keep a beer in the fridge. And if you can't get a week's worth of help from those whom you live with - at least ask for that one day - the fourth day, for them to stash their treats out of sight. It's only one day after all.

If you start this on a Monday, you will have passed the fourth day by the following weekend, if you find that on weekends you get tempted by the change in schedule. Don't do the fourth day on a stress day or a vacation, unless you think that would work best for you. If you don't find time to eat much on crazy stress days, then maybe planning that as the fourth day is what will work.

After that you'll find your body has quieted down and will listen to reason and you can plan on small sugary rewards every now and then. AND if you find yourself sliding back into sugar every day, remember the four day process and kick into it again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…because here we go again …

my predictions..

Someone will claim sugar is addictive as heroin
    someone will post studies referring to rodents
    someone will claim to have quit sugar, but still eat fruit
    someone will claim fruit sugar is superior to added sugar
    a genearl dumpster fire will break out …
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It certainly doesn't mean "that tastes good, I think I'll have another".

Speechless - - nope I was going to make some witty retort but I am still utterly speechless!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

There are a lot of people on here that will try to disprove that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Will tell you all sugars are the same, they are not, there is a difference in monosaccharides and disaccharides (for joy, some new stuff for all you people to google).

And addiction is an obsession of the mind...period. Most alcoholics are not physically addicted to alcohol. Gambling and sex addicts the same. It has to do with the reward system in the brain as well as with an obsession.

If you feel that once you start eating a disaccharide that you can not stop with one portion, you should cut it out of your life. Simple as that.

If you can not eat it in moderation, dont eat it at all, no matter how many people try to bully you into feeling shame for not being able to do it.

so when alcoholics quite drinking they do not detox?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    please... I beg anyone and everyone. Make these stop. I can't bear this argument any more.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

my predictions..

:drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you can go cold turkey for a week or two, most fruits taste as sweet as candy did.

Sadly, there's no magic pill for the will power.

Don't buy it and you won't eat it. That's all I got.
    But fruit has sugar, why keep feeding the addiction

I hear what you're saying, but they're different kinds of sugar. Fruit has tons of nutrients while candy has none.

Right but I think the point is that sugar is sugar. I love fruit, don't get me wrong. If I need the fiber or the vitamins, I turn to fruit. If I want a snickers (Hey there's nuts in there!), I'll eat that. But to eliminate the candy bar in favor of the fruit purely because of the sugar to me is pointless.

I eat candy too. Eating fruit instead of sugar for awhile was a suggestion to the lady who created this thread. She said she had an addiction to sugar. I assumed she meant candy. Fruit only for awhile would be a good starting point for getting over a candy addiction.
    so a sugar addict should eat more sugar????

that is like saying a crack head should snort more cocaine...
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    Options

my predictions..

:drinker:
    I second that.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Where do we draw the line between personal responsibility and making diagnosis of things that seem like the perfect excuse to not adhere to our diets?

Knowing our limitations and cravings for things lets us know what we need to deal with. We can choose to either be a victim or we can choose to recognize it, and do something about it,, and what to avoid.

Some one will have better changes of changing something by not letting it have power over me. If i know that a candy bar will harm me in some way, i know to stay away from it. i am aware if i can have it or not. i know what happens when i dont eat it.. and i know that if i take a few days and choose not to eat it, that food becomes less important.

I do believe in taking personal responsibility for making changes, i do believe people can have habits and addictions and guilty pleasures, i do believe that is not a "disease" (like cancer) where we are helpless to defeat it, i do believe we choose to put the food in our mouth that makes us fat, while i know that we can change it, however, some people have strong cravings for something, and they need more strength and determination and fortitude to be able to say no.

thats what i beleive and that is what is helping me be successful in my weight loss here.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with this country/world, it's everyone else's/things fault and not themselves!!!

ETA: We all got fat because WE ate to much!! It's not sugar, carbs and fats fault, it's OUR FAULT!!!!!!!!