Make your own yogurt - in the crockpot!

Options
2»

Replies

• DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I ordered a double mesh strainer from Amazon to make greek style from this, will report back on results!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitat53
    fitat53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for future try!! Thanks alot!!
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I intended to do this tonight but my store finally got Fage yogurt in which I've heard such good things about. But it's a pretty biggish tub so well eat most of that reserving some to start our own this weekend.
    I am interested in your double mesh strainer! Meanwhile, I have good cheese cloth. I do like yogurt thicker.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have done this too.add unsweetened cocoa powder and your favorite sweetener to the finished batch for a yummy chocolate treat. i strain my yogurt as i like the greek texture better. whole milk works best to make thick yogurt in my honest opinion.
  • kathuggs
    kathuggs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • livinmyhappilyeverafter
    Options
    What a great idea!!
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Update: 2 batches under my belt now and I suspect it's going to be a regular thing. Here's a tip, though. Don't forget you have yogurt fermenting in the oven and start pre-heating it for something else. On the upside, my step daughter was FaceTiming with her dad when that was discovered and found my sailor-type language to be highly entertaining. She didn't know I could do that!
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL, Mag - hope nothing caught fire!
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bumping to remember to try later.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I did this once and it turned out well, but then after that two times it didn't work, it was really thin and runny and never thickened up? I used different types of milk each time (skim once, and heavy once) and used a spoonful of yogurt instead of the starter cultures. Any tips or advice?