Is it weird that I DON'T want support??

Options
2»

Replies

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh I just googled kinder egg because I had no idea what it was.

Now I want one....
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I understand this 100%. I am such an introvert and I hate talking about my physical self with other people. Hate it.

Example: every day for breakfast at work I have tomato on toast. I don't eat this because of calories or whatever, it is genuinely my favourite breakfast. Every day someone will say to me 'oh my gosh, you're SO HEALTHY!'. Every day. Seriously. It's just tomato. On toast. I don't understand why they focus so much on it when they see me eating it every day. And most people here eat that fruit/yoghurt/muesli/whatever combo anyway, so it's not like I am outdoing them in the health stakes (plus I'm the fattest person here, so probably am not SO HEALTHY). Another thing is like when I lost a few kilos and in one week I had three different people start fluffing over me. "You've lost some weight haven't you! Are you sure? Yes you have! Tell me! Seriously! Wow!" I understand that it's socially acceptable to lose weight but it makes me so uncomfortable that people are looking at my body and then commenting on it. I always just say 'no', even when I have, because it shuts the convo down quicker than them following on by asking what I eat and blah blah blah :grumble:

Anyway that turned into a rant, sorry OP! I do know the feeling though and wish people would just shut up but just try to keep deflecting it and changing the subject and hope that they eventually stop... :frown:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

But because they're a bunch of cake eating Humphreys, I'm going to have to pull some pretty creative food-swerves out of the bag.

or just say 'no thanks' and leave it at that....
    That couldn't possibly work!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You do WANT support, but that's not what you usually get. My simple thing answer is "no thank you" and if they must have more info "I'm just trying to eat healthier" or " I already had some ____ today and I don't want to over do it". The word diet tends to be very negative.
  • Mikki80
    Mikki80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I so get this. Hate hate hate discussing my weight, diet, food with anyone IRL except immediate family. Especially since I have been losing and regaining the same 10kg for the past few years so it is just really obvious to anyone I have talked about it with that I am a crap crap dieter. Or a good dieter and a really crap maintainer. Meh.

I quite like to live under the illusion that I am the only one who notices that my stomach entesr the room a second before the rest of me and to all else I could be mistaken for Miranda Kerr on any given day. To let them know that I am not happy with my appearance and actively focus on health is like letting their mind open to the fact that perhaps I may not be Miranda's doppelganger. And then they would look down and see the truth of the matter. And then it gets awkward.

Do it how you want to do it. It's a very personal thing and it really isn't anyone else's business. I did like the suggestion of just saying no thank you. Light bulb moment! Would have saved me a lot of nonsensical rambling about kids leftovers and allergies and bad segways into very unrelated topics. Will have to try this "no" word. Here comes my husband, I think I will try it now.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sooo... Yesterday was the first day back on the diet.

It went well. I mean, apart from the Kinder egg and the marshmallow. And the stupid grape that I've just remembered that I didn't track.

The problem is that I despise telling people that I'm dieting. (That's a lie. I actually despise not being a naturally skinny person who is super athletic... but having to tell people I'm dieting is a close second.) It's like broadcasting to the world that you're chubby, and then asking people to pass judgment on you.

"You're not fat, you're lovely."
    "What are you dieting for? Honestly."
    "Don't eat that Kinder egg, you'll regret it."

Thus, I am refusing to tell anyone at work that I'm dieting. But because they're a bunch of cake eating Humphreys, I'm going to have to pull some pretty creative food-swerves out of the bag.

We'll see how being a 'secret dieter' by day, works out... :ohwell:

First of all, a single grape has like, a calorie in it. Try to be in the habit of logging everything, yes, but don't beat yourself up over it!
    Second, Kindereggs are amazeballs, and if I had access to them, I'm sure I'd slip and have one occasionally too. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    And marshmallows are actually one of my favorite snacks! Low cal, super filling and fat free. Unless you have problems controlling blood sugar, don't beat yourself up over it :) Tomorrow is another day!

More to the point, I'm like you. I'm rather uncomfortable letting those I know IRL know that I'm watching what I eat, as I feel like they judge you more when you have a "cheat meal". They don't know how hard you worked all week so that you could enjoy that giant bacon cheeseburger, they only know that you said you were dieting, and it doesn't look like you are!
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone at work - not announced it to anyone at all but when someone notices then I tell them I'm eating less than I did and using mfp
    At work I sometimes eat the cakes and biscuits people bring in - I pack a smaller lunch if I know it's a birthday or just go over budget because it doesn't hurt to do that occasionally
    Sometimes I just say no thanks
    Sometimes I take the goodies and sneak them home to give to the kids
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes it's even better to just say that you don't feel like eating something. Then the subject is cut.
    If you start to behave strangely, come up with sophisticated explanations or just be secretive then the people will notice that, get interested and catch up the subject. You will end up being flooded with question to stonewall.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

But because they're a bunch of cake eating Humphreys, I'm going to have to pull some pretty creative food-swerves out of the bag.

This. There's no reason you need to TELL people you're "dieting", I've always thought that was an attention-grab. I never say it because I'm not dieting. I'm working on losing weight by becoming aware of my choices.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

That couldn't possibly work!

Oh yes, it does work. I have done it and I still do if somebody offers me something that I don't want to eat, for what ever reason. If besides the words you add "the look," then people will eventually get the message. If they keep insisting, well strict measurements are needed.:angry::angry:
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I understand this 100%. I am such an introvert and I hate talking about my physical self with other people. Hate it.

Example: every day for breakfast at work I have tomato on toast. I don't eat this because of calories or whatever, it is genuinely my favourite breakfast. Every day someone will say to me 'oh my gosh, you're SO HEALTHY!'. Every day. Seriously. It's just tomato. On toast. I don't understand why they focus so much on it when they see me eating it every day. And most people here eat that fruit/yoghurt/muesli/whatever combo anyway, so it's not like I am outdoing them in the health stakes (plus I'm the fattest person here, so probably am not SO HEALTHY). Another thing is like when I lost a few kilos and in one week I had three different people start fluffing over me. "You've lost some weight haven't you! Are you sure? Yes you have! Tell me! Seriously! Wow!" I understand that it's socially acceptable to lose weight but it makes me so uncomfortable that people are looking at my body and then commenting on it. I always just say 'no', even when I have, because it shuts the convo down quicker than them following on by asking what I eat and blah blah blah :grumble:

Anyway that turned into a rant, sorry OP! I do know the feeling though and wish people would just shut up but just try to keep deflecting it and changing the subject and hope that they eventually stop... :frown:

Omigosh, I feel you on this! I too am an introvert and all this that you've described is what I've had happen to me and I hate it as much as you do...

To the OP - no, I don't think it's weird to not want people at work knowing. I'm also not telling anyone I work with that I''m trying to eat better/lose weight. I wouldn't handle the scrutiny and comments, especially on those off days where I'm just not that focused.