My meeting with a Sports Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    "- saving all your calories until dinner causes you to gain weight; you are supposed to fuel during the day and lose weight while you are sleeping - so eat the majority of your calories throughout the day and SPOIL YOUR APPETITE for dinner and then just have something light "

*kitten*, I blow that one every single day. If only I could lose weight...

:|

Seriously, being a sports nutritionist just means you have some kind of qualification. It doesn't mean you necessarily know what you're talking about.
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    - saving all your calories until dinner causes you to gain weight

:noway:
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What is broscience? I'm assuming it's the same as psuedoscience?

I posted my notes to be helpful and folks can take what's helpful and leave the rest.

The stats she gave me are based on research and are widely available. People need to remember that while the vast majority of people who lose weight quickly regain it plus more, there are plenty of people (that 3%) who don't.

I am hoping this post is helpful for those of us who are losing slowly - that research supports that slow loss is easier to sustain. It's not meant to bash anyone's success.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    "- saving all your calories until dinner causes you to gain weight; you are supposed to fuel during the day and lose weight while you are sleeping - so eat the majority of your calories throughout the day and SPOIL YOUR APPETITE for dinner and then just have something light "

*kitten*, I blow that one every single day. If only I could lose weight...

:|

Seriously, being a sports nutritionist just means you have some kind of qualification. It doesn't mean you necessarily know what you're talking about.

Very true. Plenty of folks will have a very different experience. She did not say that was the only thing that causes weight gain, it just helps with weight loss to eat more earlier in the day. There are plenty of things you can do to offset it, as you have clearly done.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If breakfast helps you control hunger and helps with adherence, and aids with performance then eat breakfast. Otherwise I'm not sure you need to care about breakfast.

Scratch that, If any particular habit at all:
    -helps you control hunger.
    -helps with adherence.
    -supports performance goals.

while:
    -creating a deficit (assuming weight loss is the goal)
    -meeting macro and micro nutritional requirements.

Then great.

Making a more qualified generalization than that frequently seems to miss the point.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    - people who KEEP weight off do the following: eat breakfast, don't allow themselves to get overly hungry, eat everything in moderation, exercise, weigh themselves regularly and keep a food journal.

:laugh:

I've been significantly underweight all my adult life (I'm 50 now) and I haven't eaten breakfast since I was about 11 or so. In fact, on a normal weekend day, I don't eat until the supper meal... too busy.

I've done no regular exercise until recently when I started experiencing menopause symptoms three years ago and became concerned about loss of muscle and bone density.

Nor have I adhered to any of the other aspects of the guru's "prescription".
  • jerrymcintosh
    jerrymcintosh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, great information that has all been out there in research results. Sadly we tend to buy in to the quick, the easy, or the newest fad of the week diet "facts". These reminders from the best research available are actual research facts and while it is amusing to see the comments after such a post, it just highlights the seriously poor state of health in our country, and why the diet fads produce millions of dollars in sales each year.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think the point of the meal timing suggestion is that if we eat lightly throughout the hours we are most active, we may not have enough fuel to optimize our activities. Then eating a large meal not long before we rest for several hours, is putting fuel in our bodies when we really don't need it.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, very useful info!
  • nikigmoney
    Options
    Thank you for your post. As you probably know, people are very passionate about their "diets" moderation and exercise just isn't for everyone:)
  • morn1ngstarr
    morn1ngstarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great information .. Thanks for posting it. =)
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How in hells name do people regain all the weight if they lose more than 1 lb per week?? It hasn't got anything to do with how quick they lost it, it has to do with whether they then went and stuffed their faces with food. And, breakfast, apart from giving you some fuel to start the day, wont make you fat if you miss it. What total and utter sh&t. And dont start me on the ovulation rubbish. I linked this to my sister-in-law who is a gyno and her reply was.......hahahaha!!!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    - people who KEEP weight off do the following: eat breakfast, don't allow themselves to get overly hungry, eat everything in moderation, exercise, weigh themselves regularly and keep a food journal.

:laugh:

I've been significantly underweight all my adult life (I'm 50 now) and I haven't eaten breakfast since I was about 11 or so. In fact, on a normal weekend day, I don't eat until the supper meal... too busy.

I've done no regular exercise until recently when I started experiencing menopause symptoms three years ago and became concerned about loss of muscle and bone density.

Nor have I adhered to any of the other aspects of the guru's "prescription".

With all due respect, I don't think the guidance applies to you. I think it's more for people who have had (over)weight issues and learn to manage them with new habits.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I experimented a bit when I started to make it a goal to lose weight. Eating breakfast really just made me hungrier throughout the day as someone who rarely ate breakfast before. Skipping breakfast and focusing on the other two meals worked a lot better.

As far as not eating a larger dinner, honestly it hasn't mattered for me. Sometimes I will blow almost all my calories (with the exception of protein calories) at dinner. Still, with my predefined deficit I lose almost exactly what I'm supposed to, sometimes more.

In terms of hunger, what's worked best has been focusing on other things throughout the day or picking meals I'm excited about. Eating 3 tiny meals a day (or more) makes life grueling. Have 1-2 meals I actually want to eat has been more helpful.

ymmv, but this has been what's working for me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist is pulling numbers from stats in some cases rather than established science.

Breakfast isn't necessary to lose weight. Just the people who have successfully lost weight tend to eat breakfast.
    Eating a small dinner isn't necessary to lose weight. Just the people who have successfully lost weight tend to eat small dinners.

These are correlations, not actual causes.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of a few of her points...

Like 97% will regain
    Must eat breakfast
    Need more calories when ovulating
    weight themselves regularly then says don't if you are a weight lifter...
    eating specific things after a workout...

last but not least only eat when you are hungry even if you have calories to fill...hunger is not the best way to tell what the body needs.

Some are fine tho like eating the same on a rest day as an exercise day, not using the scale only but measurments etc...and yes you can build muslce if you are NEW to lifting...or obese.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist is pulling numbers from stats in some cases rather than established science.

Breakfast isn't necessary to lose weight. Just the people who have successfully lost weight tend to eat breakfast.
    Eating a small dinner isn't necessary to lose weight. Just the people who have successfully lost weight tend to eat small dinners.

These are correlations, not actual causes.

THIS RIGHT HERE! Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    LOL I would like to see scientific evidence that woman need extra calories when they release a microscopic egg during ovulation. The rest of this is common sense. Hope you didn't pay too much money for this "consultation".

Well, she is a scientist and nutritionist who trained at Mass General, so I do think she is basing this on research, darlin'.....just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Yeah, sorry. Call people pet names as a way to denigrate and belittle them all you want, but your sports nutritionist is still terribly misinformed.
  • stargazgal
    stargazgal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    WOW. There sure is a lot of negativity. I appreciate the time you took to post this information. It's a shame that some people want to bash what you said. If the info is not applicable to you...move on. This is supposed to be a supportive group. Thanks for sharing. Maybe not all of it will be applicable to me but some is. Thanks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Egads. Some truly awful advice.

*ahem*

Whoops, typo. What I meant to say is...

8BD989C6753FAB15BA2113F1750A0.jpg