Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me, 10000 steps a day lead me to fitbit, which lead me to mfp, which taught me to track what I eat and eat at a deficit, which lead to success. Every now and then, when I have times where I just don't exercise for whatever reason, I'll take out my fit bit and make a 10000 step goal.
    Great post.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I found this on the web and it's totally unofficial and I don't know how 100% accurate the numbers will be, but this is what I'll be using and wanted to post it here for the group as well. If anyone has a different conversion chart, pls. feel free to post it here on this thread.

Use this conversion chart to determine the number of steps per minute for activities other than walking. Multiply the number of minutes you participated in the activity by the number indicated in the chart.

For example, high impact aerobics for 30 minutes equals 6,090 steps (30 x 203 = 6,090).

2,000 steps equal one mile.

Physical Activity Multiply Time Spent with Below Number
    Aerobics: low impact 145
    Aerobics: high impact 203
    Aerobics: step 246
    Badminton, casual 131
    Basketball, recreational 174
    Basketball, game 230
    Bicycling - leisurely 116
    Bicycling - stationary 203
    Bowling 87
    Boxing 348
    Canoeing, light 87
    Circuit Training 232
    Cross-country, skiing, moderate 232
    Dancing 131
    Downhill skiing 174
    elliptical trainer 203
    Football 260
    Gardening, light 116
    Gardening, heavy 174
    Gardening, weeding 131
    Golfing (without a cart) 131
    Grocery Shopping 67
    Handball 348
    Hiking, 10-20 lb. load 217
    Hiking, 21-42 lb. load 232
    Hiking, general 172
    Horseback riding 116
    Horseback riding, trotting 188
    Housework, light 72
    Housework, mopping floors 101
    Housework, scrubbing the floor 110
    Housework, vacuuming 101
    Housework, washing windows 87
    Ice Skating 203
    Jumping rope, moderate 290
    Karate 290
    Kick boxing 290
    Mountain Climbing 153
    Mowing 160
    Painting 78
    Pilates 101
    Racquetball, playing recreationally 203
    Raking Leaves 125
    Resistance Training 74
    Roller Skating 203
    Running, 10 mph (6 min/mile) 463
    Running, 8 mph (7.5 min/mile) 391
    Running, 6 mph (10 min mile) 290
    Running, 5 mph (12 min/mile) 232
    Soccer, recreational 203
    Soccer, competitive 290
    Softball 145
    Spinning Class 240
    Squash 348
    Stair climbing, machine 260
    Stair climbing, moderate 334
    Stair climbing, slow 232
    Stair climbing, vigorous 434
    stretching 72
    Swimming, backstroke 203
    Swimming, breaststroke 290
    Swimming, butterfly 319
    Swimming, freestyle 203
    Swimming, leisure 174
    Swimming, treading water 116
    Tae Kwon Do 290
    Tai Chi 116
    Tennis, doubles 174
    Tennis, singles 232
    Trampoline 101
    Volleyball, game 232
    Volleyball, leisure 87
    Walking (normal pace) 100
    Wash the car 87
    Water Aerobics 116
    Water Skiing 174
    Wax the car 131
    Weight lifting, abdominal 64
    Weight lifting, arms only 42
    Weight lifting, back only 80
    Weight lifting, moderate 87
    Weight lifting, shoulders 69
    Weight lifting, vigorous 174
    Yard Work 145
    yoga 72
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The whole point of 10k a day is to be more active throughout the day. Doing it at once, although good exercise, doesn't take into consideration how active you are throughout the day. And who can sustain walking for 85minutes to 2hrs all at once every day. Also, I also think that we shouldn't convert other exercises into steps. e.g. I dance as well but isn't included in the number of steps I do that day.
  • MassMuscle30
    Options
    My most steps was 13,416. But on a daily I'm hitting like 11,000 to 12,500.... Follow me... https://www.fitbit.com/user/2DVZJL
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I know it varies based on speed, stride length, weight, and a bunch of other factors, but about how many calories do you burn walking 10,000 steps at a leisurely pace?
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Activity
    15202 steps taken today
    152% of goal of 10,000
    4 floors climbed today
    40% of goal of 10

You have climbed: The World's Tallest Sand Castle

6.05 miles traveled today
    121% of goal of 5.00
    2477 calories burned
    113% of goal of 2,184
  • lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I walk 2 miles to work and 2 miles back. The internet says this is approximately 8000, and I walk quite a bit at school (being a teacher). I'm not quite there but could do with a bit more work and on other days I will do it x
  • beltrone
    beltrone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My average walking speed is 6km(3.7 miles)/hour, and some-days I walk 6 hours. That's 36km/22 miles in a day.

I make sure to walk at-least 3 hours daily.

I lost 16KG/35Pounds in a month, 116KG/255Pounds to 100KG/220Pounds.

MFP app is telling me that I will weigh 90kg in 5 weeks, 80kg in 10 weeks. Excited!!!!!!!

I have also joined Gym 2 weeks ago, to tone/reshape my body along with weight loss. I have shred most fat from arms/face/chest. Only middle body weight is left.

I am doing IF diet, I only eat between 11AM-7PM (8 hour window), 16 hour fast daily.

My delicious food includes -

Fat and Calcium source - Buffalo butter 3 spoons, buffalo whole milk 500ml, 125gram Buffalo milk cheese. 5 Almonds + 5 Cashew.

Protein - 60gram (2 scoops) Whey Protein.

Carbohydrates - Whole wheat bread.

Sugar and Antioxidants - 2 Oranges daily for Vitamin A and C. Raw Honey 1 spoon, 1 raw Lemon.

I also eat raw carrots, cucumber, raw onions.

Ginger and Garlic is must.

1 Multi-Vitamin tab, Iron supplement, Fish Oil rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I know it varies based on speed, stride length, weight, and a bunch of other factors, but about how many calories do you burn walking 10,000 steps at a leisurely pace?

you burn 100 calories per mile whether you run, walk or crawl on all 4's; add in a few hills & you burn a bit more,
    peoples height & stride length are different but most cover between 2,000-2,200 steps per mile,

a word of caution; unless you sit in bed all day you will walk some steps, these will contribute to your usual daily TDEE, so it's only really worth counting steps as a 'burn' if you walk extra outside this
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Two of my Mfp beloved friends are doing this and encouraged and/or inspired me to do this too. It's really a tremendous daily goal for me and makes me feel like a first class champion as I'm accomplishing this and more.

Anyone have any 10,000 Steps success stories where it's helped you reach your goals or such like? Pls. do share!

I walk 8.5 miles a day, every day apart from Sunday - on my treadmill at home, I do 3 mile first thing in morning, 3 mile before I have lunch plus 2.5 mile after evening meal, plus any walking during normal day to day things . I used to walk 5 mile and stick to my calories, but have upted it and the weight is coming off better.

I don't know how many miles 10,000 steps is?
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer around work and there are days where I go way over that :) My ticker shows my success :)
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This thread is very motivational to me. Thanks to all of you. I work a desk job from home, so I don't move a lot. I was going to the gym since February, but I recently hurt my back. Walking is about the only exercise I can do at the moment.

Thanks to this thread, I've started walking 3 miles per day this week and I'm actually enjoying this waaay more than going to the gym and using the boring cardio equipment. I have a FitBit on the way(thanks, girlfriend!) and look forward to working up to 10,000 steps per day. It's so good to know that even though the gym is a no-go now, I can still have success! Thanks again, all.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 pounds doing nothing but the occasional walk, but since then I've made it a mission to get a least 10,000 steps a day but my goal is to 14,286 steps a day = 100,000 steps per week. :happy:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 pounds doing nothing but the occasional walk, but since then I've made it a mission to get a least 10,000 steps a day but my goal is to 14,286 steps a day = 100,000 steps per week. :happy:

I saw you post that in another FitBit thread the other day and I was amazed that I had never done that math before, I'm usually so OCD that is right up my alley!
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I average about 20 thousand steps a day and anywhere between 30 and 40 thousand on the weekends.

I started about 3 months ago with my Jawbone 24.

I know I have lost weight but haven't gotten on the scale. I only weigh myself every 4 months.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options

you burn 100 calories per mile whether you run, walk or crawl on all 4's; add in a few hills & you burn a bit more,
    peoples height & stride length are different but most cover between 2,000-2,200 steps per mile,

a word of caution; unless you sit in bed all day you will walk some steps, these will contribute to your usual daily TDEE, so it's only really worth counting steps as a 'burn' if you walk extra outside this

This gives me a ballpark idea. Thank you!
  • austinr
    austinr Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Do you have a source for this? Logically, it makes zero sense. Walking a mile, while maintaining a resting heart rate level, should not burn the same as running a mile at 90% max rate. Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong, but to me it seems way off. Csre to post a source and elaborate?
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started out using a Fitbit about 2 months ago when I started tracking on MFP again. My initial goal was 10,000 per day and I didn't hit it some days.
    Now my goal is 14,000 per day and I have not missed my goal for several weeks. Most days I end up in the 15,000-20,000 step range. My personal best was 30,388 steps (13.81 miles)
    I've lost 20 lbs in the 50 days that I've been using my Fitbit (along with tracking calories through MFP). So I'd say I'm definitely a Fitbit believer!
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I take at least 10000 steps every single day. Right now it is my only form of exercise. I am recovering from a knee injury and would like to loose about 30 pounds before I start exercising again. I have lost 14.5 pounds so far with diet and walking the 10000 steps a day so it seems to be working.
  • julikam
    julikam Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got my fitbit about a month ago, but have had a couple of bumps along the way so no significant weight loss yet but already have more energy and feel better. I work from home, but my office goes on daily walks around the building twice a day at 10 am and 3 pm. I set my outlook calendar for reminders and try to walk around my block at least once per day. Some of them also walk up the 4 flights of stairs twice a day, even though we are on ground level, just for the work out. My knees are bad and I dont have stairs so I havent been able to add this one at home. I park a little further away and find myself walking every aisle of the grocery store just for the exercise. I had surgery on my toe 2 weeks ago. Before that I was at about 8000 steps per day, but then it dropped to 1000-2000 during recovery. I still have stitches in my toe for a couple more days, but have been able to work back to 6000+ steps per day. My goal is to work toward 12000-15000 steps, but at least 10000 next week when I can walk normal again.

My husband and I want to start trying to conceive in the next few months but I knew I needed to lose weight to be health long term. I gained about 30 pounds in the last 7 months since we got married. I started using MFP to track calories and overall nutrition. It was amazing to me how much fat and sodium I was eating. No wonder I was gaining weight. I was at about 2200+ calories per day and now I eat 1650, huge difference. I am also eating much more healthy food too. I have the added challenge of being put on a soft diet due to my tmj. I can't eat any raw vegetables and its killing me cause I love salad and all things crunchy. I have been struggling getting my veggies everyday. Dr suggested juicing them but vegetable juice tastes nasty to me. I started having more soup as meals, but that is upping my sodium intake a bit. Any suggestions?

I noticed my clothes are more loose, but the scale hasn't shown much loss yet. I think next week when I get back to walking the scale will show it too. My overall goal is to loose the baby weight before I am pregnant so when I am pregnant I am already in the habit of eating right and exercising. My hope is to minimize my gain during pregnancy so I never go over my top weight. Our secretary at work is 42, overweight, and just had a baby. Just by doing the office workout each day and watching what sge ate she was able to only gain the minimal weight buring pregnancy and already lost 11 pounds more than she started at pre pregnancy. She is my inspiration.

I read an article recently that said the key to losing weight is setting up your environment to lose. If you only buy healthy food you are going to eat the healthy food. But, if you have cookies or other bad foods in the house you will eat that. You are less likely to drive to the store to buy cookies when you crave them. That is exactly what I started doing at home and I really think it works. Good luck to all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!