Running and not getting hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• equestrian_girl
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with dopamine levels. Running increases dopamine, which is the chemical that crashes when your brain needs to tell you you're hungry/craving things.

It's the same with smoking, nicotine increases dopamine levels, which curbs your appetite.

If running has this effect on you, consider yourself lucky!!!
  • sraelcohen
    sraelcohen Posts: 1
    Options
    When running, the stomach moves, the stomach has a chemical lining which when moved fills it, which in turn makes you think you are less hungry or not hungry at all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone else? How do you combat it?

I do find that I'm not as hungry after an interval run, but after my LSR I'll eat anything that slows down enough to catch
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also dont feel hungry afterwards but, if i wait too long before eating(for example waiting for actual hunger), i get really hungry really quickly and then i can eat 1+k cals worth of cereal, oats, milk and whey protein mix and still feel hungry. And 1k of that mix is a lot of volume. Expecially if you let the oats soak up the milk.

Therefore i dont eat based on feeling when i run, rather use preventive meal to control myself in a long run.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Same goes for me! Having that feeling right now actually. If I waited for actual hunger it could come in later in the day when it's too late and I'd be stuck eating so much, too much at one time. I'm getting ready to shove down food down my throat. Thank God for almond butter for making it easier for me to eat back calories. Lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Therefore i dont eat based on feeling when i run, rather use preventive meal to control myself in a long run.

I generally throw a bottle of recovery drink down my throat after a session and that can mitigate the issue.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling pretty often after I ride. I think you just have to get past it and eat because your body needs it, especially if you exercise on an empty stomach, which I normally do. Something like a smoothie might help, drinks usually don't fill me up and they're good after workouts.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Not feeling as hungry is an issue for me because I only really eat when I actually feel hungry, otherwise I get sick trying to shove food down my throat.

I think it might possibly have something to do with the heat and the laziness of summer. I've gotten my splits a bit faster, but nothing too drastic.

My mother gets all concerned when I don't eat as much after my runs, but I just wanted to come on here and see if other people have noticed the same!

I'm not hungry after my run but I tend to try and have a small amount of fuel within 20min of finishing, it can be a banana, 10g of pine nuts, a glass of milk, I had read a few articles a while ago that was looking at the increased recovery if fod is eaten within 20min of finishing (our guys that do obstacle runs like Tough Mudder and Dirty Weekend swear by chocolate milk (got to be Frijj), it's got everything in it carbs, protein & fat as well as helping hydration), peanut butter & jam sandwiches are meant to be good as well as they're high on the GI so help replenish the muscles quickly.

I imagine it would really only become a problem if you were really increasing the mileage and you would have to learn to eat regardless of being hungry, I can go 10miles XC without fuel but by 13miles I'm starting to struggle, still not hungry but starting to struggle energy wise.
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Actually I am with you! Especially in the evenings when I get the snack attack cravings, if I go for a run, it seems to make me NOT want to eat. If I run in the morning however, I am starving about an hour after my run!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal. I am not hungrier when I run.

Now lifting on the other hand, after a really good lifting session I am STARVING and hungry for most of the day.