Do I really need to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Weight loss without exercise creates sagging skin, and you often loose lean muscle along with fat.

Lies.

Nope, that's pretty much 100% true >>;

No, it is not.

"Saggy skin" can result in fast or slow weight loss. It can be a byproduct of weight lost with exercise, or without. It all comes down to the natural elasticity of an individual's skin.

Many people who naturally have poorer elasticity have had to deal with "saggy skin" even after slow weight loss, complete with exercise. Take a look around this board, many post here.

Meanwhile I've lost 130lbs, fast, and have used very little exercise, and have almost no "saggy skin".

Not to mention many people confuse "saggy skin" with skin simply looks saggy due to fat that's become uncompressed during weight loss, and is causing the skin to "sag". Diminish the fat and a lot of that saggy skin will smooth right on out.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There is more to being healthy than just being thin. While what you eat does largely determine whether you are skinny or fat, exercise not only helps you lose weight and look better, but also benefits your body in many ways that are not visible in the mirror (boosts HDL cholesterol, reduces triglycerides, helps manage or prevent strokes, type 2 diabetes, depression, bone loss, certain types of cancer, etc.)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Good morning to you all... I have a question ... can someone still achieve their weight loss goals without exercising? I am a Hskp supv at a small motel here in our area. Most days I am working by myself, so that means I do it all....cleaning the rooms, doing the daily laundry, and cleaning the common areas of the motel, etc. When I get home late afternoon, the last thing I want to do is exercise...

You already are exercising, and likely burning off more than many dedicated exercisers. Remember dedicated exercise, as a popular notion, is a relatively new phenomenon. People traditionally kept in shape by doing exactly what you're doing now; working hard in the midst of their typical daily activity or job.

With your level of activity, and a decent deficit, you're actually going to likely lose pretty fast.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need to follow a "formal" exercise routine as you work so hard during the day. I have a desk job but hate working out so I've added three days a week of walking briskly on my lunch hour for a 1/2 hour. That's it, and I've lost 50lbs this year. And contrary to what some have written, I don't have saggy skin, but then, I lost the weight slowly so perhaps that's why.

Reduce your calories, measure and weigh your food meticulously and you'll lose the weight.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other.

More lies.

"Skinny fat" is when a person is in a "normal" weight range but still has a high body fat level.

But if I put a "skinny fat" person in a room, and gave them only water for weeks, or months, they'll get lean. This is why concentration camp victims, and other truly starving people, aren't "skinny fat", they're just skinny and very lean. Even with lower muscle mass it's quite possible to lose the "skinny fat" look without exercise.

Exercise is for greater health, especially cardiovascular health. And weight lifting helps improve your overall body composition and aesthetics, amongst other amazing benefits.

But fat is fat. Keep cutting it and you'll eventually get lean.

You're TOTALLY missing the point. With strength training you can lose less weight and look better. For example... I just saw a post from a lady that was 10lbs higher but looked BETTER/FIRMER because she was incorporating a lot of strength training. I am the same size now that I was 18lbs lighter. The point is, without a good lifting routine you will not be as happy with your results until you lose A LOT more weight. Sure, there are starving people out there that weight 125lbs with absolutely no muscle tone. Sure... they're skinny... but I'm sure they are not as happy with their overall composition as people that have a slight deficit and incorporate lifting. Period.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

Weight loss without exercise creates sagging skin, and you often loose lean muscle along with fat.

Lies.

+1
  • FitForMe83
    Options
    It sounds like you're actually getting more exercise than you think without actually stepping on a treadmill or something like that. You'd be surprised how many calories you can burn by just moving around while you're cleaning. You can count those hours of cleaning each day as exercise.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Good morning to you all... I have a question ... can someone still achieve their weight loss goals without exercising? I am a Hskp supv at a small motel here in our area. Most days I am working by myself, so that means I do it all....cleaning the rooms, doing the daily laundry, and cleaning the common areas of the motel, etc. When I get home late afternoon, the last thing I want to do is exercise...

It sounds like you ARE exercising, Babe. You can lose weight with diet alone. However, as others have probably mentioned, there are many, many advantages to exercising: avoidance of plateaus, greater health benefits, looking better, etc. etc. etc.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    honestly, you don't have to do anything, even doing something is better than doing nothing \m/

Guitar, Bass and Vocal Enthusiast
    Ordained Minister
    Host of The Confessional
    Owner of All That is \m/ (> . <) \m/
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" to exercise. It just helps - and helps with body composition as you lose weight.

Seeing as you are active with your job - and especially as housekeeping - you probably don't have to worry about that at all. You're doing enough moving around and lifting things such that you should be fine.

I agree with this. If you are doing all those things on a daily basis, you're actually getting some exercise in. If you simply cannot do anything more after work, then you're doing what you can. However, if you can find a way to get in some additional exercise, it would be more beneficial.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about diet.

Exercise for fitness.

Sounds like you're very active. I would recommend an activity tracker (I love Fitbit, but there are plenty of options now, and some new smartphones have the capability to track activity). This would give a good idea of how much exercise you are getting in a day.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm a CNA so I move around a lot at work too. I also have an unpredictable connective tissue disorder that affects my collagen called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I still find time to go for a walk with my fiancé. You don't need to do intense, multiple-hours-long exercise sessions. Sit down for dinner when you get home, then go for a 30 minute walk. It's so worth it. It's hard to get into the routine, but you'll probably have more energy for work as you get more active in your down time. That all said, you can totally lose the weight without exercise, but a little exercise along the way will let you reap a bunch of benefits later on, too.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're actually getting more exercise than you think without actually stepping on a treadmill or something like that. You'd be surprised how many calories you can burn by just moving around while you're cleaning. You can count those hours of cleaning each day as exercise.

No she can't. MFP already counts it in her activity level. Doing your regular routine is not exercise, it's your activity level, and if you mistake the two, you could end up eating at maintenance or at a surplus without realizing it and then wonder why the scale isn't moving downward.

ETA: People with lightly to moderately active jobs gain weight all the time. I did. I was working three jobs in customer service and nursing homes all at the same time when I gained the last ~20 pounds. She's probably been in this industry for awhile and it didn't prevent her from gaining the excess weight that she is now on MFP to lose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    No, however if you want to physically change your muscle tone and physique, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    if you don't use it you will lose it!

ive trained a woman who was 85 yrs old , she worked out for about a month after that month of light weights and low cardio she thanked me for my training because she was now able to do things on her own again. simple things we take for granted. so if you don't use the muscles you will lose them.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other.

More lies.

"Skinny fat" is when a person is in a "normal" weight range but still has a high body fat level.

But if I put a "skinny fat" person in a room, and gave them only water for weeks, or months, they'll get lean. This is why concentration camp victims, and other truly starving people, aren't "skinny fat", they're just skinny and very lean. Even with lower muscle mass it's quite possible to lose the "skinny fat" look without exercise.

Exercise is for greater health, especially cardiovascular health. And weight lifting helps improve your overall body composition and aesthetics, amongst other amazing benefits.

But fat is fat. Keep cutting it and you'll eventually get lean.

Cannot agree more!
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is why I LOVE this site..... Thanks to all of you.
    I should have stated that I am 56 years old, and about 30 lbs overweight. When I get home in the afternoon, not only am I mentally tired, I'm physically tired as well. I think for now tho, I'll continue on as I am, but, I'm going to try to start using the weights that I have. I do try to get out for a walk when I can, but it seems lately that every time we turn around, we're getting slammed with more snow..

Kat :)
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can someone still achieve their weight loss goals without exercising?

If your goal is to weigh less, then the answer is yes. I have lost my weight without exercise.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I would say to get your diet in place, then later down the road if you feel like you're ready to add exercise.

I used to be an assistant manager in a retail clothing store where we were seriously understaffed. 8 hours on my feet and I would just want to chill out when I got home. I spent so much of the day sweating my tale off.

I think that people get so hindered by trying to do too much at one time. In the past, I tried to make a switch from eating fast food everyday to cooking all my meals "cleanly" from scratch, and from not working out at all to trying to do an unrealistic amount of cardio/ weightlifting exercises. Needless to say, I would set myself up for failure (I was 270lbs) and get really discouraged until the next Monday rolled around and I could make myself more promises that I would break.

Slow and steady, start with your diet and planning out your meals. Add exercise on your days off. Just keep building on that.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Frankly, it's your call.

I suspect that you often do lift heavy things (laundry, mattresses, furniture, etc) and you are on your feet all day (ie. full-time). If that's the case, you likely don't need to add additional structured exercise. Correctly calculating your TDEE and eating at a calorie deficit will probably be just fine.

If I were you, I'd consider adding some kind of a flexibility / stretching routine, especially if you experience soreness from time to time. I really like increasing my flexibility, so I might be a little biased. :smile: