I Need Ideas For Salmon

Options
PhearlessPhreaks
PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
I typically make my salmon one of two ways- a little butter, salt, pepper, lemon and dill, or with a brown sugar & soy sauce glaze... but neither is striking my fancy, so I'm looking for some inspiration. Ideas?

TIA :smile:

Replies

• ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Cover with some Pesto and top with sliced tomatoes bake for about 2-25 min. Supper Yummy.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Grill it! I slather mine in olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper, and throw it skin-down on the grill until it's cooked all the way through. It has a nice - but not overwhelming - smokiness to it.

**Edited to say that the pesto + tomato sounds delicious!!
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Salmon patties, tacos, soup.
  • soniaboyd1
    soniaboyd1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I purchase the salmon stuffed with lobster and crabmeat from Safeway, cut up the different color bell peppers, red onions, and garlic and sprinkle it on the top and create an olive oil mix with a little salt, pepper and drizzle it over the top and let it marinate over night in the refreigerator. And bake it the next day.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    Thanks for some ideas! I love pesto, but my husband isn't a fan. (which I find odd, because he loves fresh basil) The grilling idea he would definitely like... he loves to grill in the warmer months and insists on only using a charcoal grill, lol.

I was thinking of making a wasabi-lime glaze... and I saw a recipe with pineapple... good thing dinner isn't for several more hours!!!
  • Joedusto350
    Options
    Baking with Dijon Mustard coating on top is the bomb! Just had it this week...
  • bbcrafts
    bbcrafts Posts: 7
    Options
    I buy smoked salts. Use the Alderwood smoked salt on your salmon (after you drizzle a little olive oil on it), place it on non-stick foil lined pan and put it in a hot 375 to 400 degree oven till it reaches the "doneness" you like. Makes it taste like you smoked it over an open fire! There is also hickory smoked salt too. If you can't get in your local grocery store, go online and research "smoked salts". These salts are great and you don't need a lot.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Baked Blackened Salmon <3 So good.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    i made a new one the other day, i blended a cilantro bunch a little salt and pepper, lemon and a LITTLE butter. slathered it on top of my salmon and baked it...it was SOO GOOD
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Salmon, spinach, and feta scrambled eggs! I know fish and eggs sound like they would be terrible together, but it is AMAZING! I had it at a cafe that I worked at, and it was seriously one of the better things I've ever had. Grill/bake the salmon first then break it into chunks and add along with the feta about 1 minute before you pull the eggs off.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I get about a 3 or 4 oz piece of salmon and cook it with just a bit of olive oil, rosemary, sage,a pinch of salt and pepper and a dash of red pepper. After is is cooked, I place it on top of a bed of veggies, you know the frozen kind you can heat in the bag. I usually eat the entire bag, but it is only 150calories per bag. I usually get the asian medley bag of veggies (nothing with cheese sauce).

It is pretty good and it is very quick and easy to make. A perfect meal when you don't have a lot of time and you don't want to eat to late but you get in from the gym after 7 or 7:30 at night. (total prep time, maybe 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon)
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    Rub it down with lemon pepper seasoning. Put it in a foil pouch with some lemon juice and one little pad of butter. Bake for about 20 mins and boom. Flaky deliciousness.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Curry. I love putting curry on my fish because it also takes away some of the "fishiness" on some types of fish.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    this stuff really is magic. I probably won't buy any other seasoning for salmon ever.

salmon.jpg
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I typically make my salmon one of two ways- a little butter, salt, pepper, lemon and dill, or with a brown sugar & soy sauce glaze... but neither is striking my fancy, so I'm looking for some inspiration. Ideas?

TIA :smile:

Go to www.skinnytaste.com and search salmon recipes. It's a terrific site. Also, if you google "ways to cook salmon", you'll get tons of results!!
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Get some balsamic vinegar (or a fruit vinegar, I like the Pomegranate vinegar from Trader Joe's) and simmer it in a pan until it reduces by half (about 5-10 minutes.) Or you can buy balsamic glaze at the store. Pour some on a piece of simple pan-grilled salmon, serve with steamed or roasted veggies, top with a little black pepper.

Rub the outside of the salmon with Chinese 5-spice powder, then pan-grill.

Personal favorite: truffle salt ($10-12 at World Market, but the little jar seriously lasts for months and months of near-daily use,) chili oil (buy or make your own by added crushed red pepper flakes to a bottle of cheap-o olive oil,) and black pepper.

Tequila lime sauce: a little tequila, lime juice, and a pinch of extra sugar. Simmer (but be careful not to burn) in a pan until it reduces by half. Optional add-ins include onion or shallots, cilantro, garlic, etc. Bonus: this sauce is good on literally everything. Even fruit.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I mix up some olive oil and the spices that I desire (i.e., Old Bay, Chef Prodhomme's salmon seasoning, coarsely ground salt and pepper). I heat up the grill pan that sits on my stove, or the outside grill on nice days. I "paint" the salmon on all sides with the olive oil/seasoning mixture and throw it on the hot grill, turn once.
    Its so simple, yet so delicious, my entire family devours it!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you already vetoed the pesto but I was going to second that recommendation... actually what I like to do might still work for you. I grill my salmon - just a little olive oil (could use basil infused or some other flavored oil for extra punch) and then sea salt and cracked black pepper with some lemon juice. Skin down for about 10 min on the grill, then flip it over and take the skin off at the same time if you can (I use a spatula and kind of slide it right under the skin, usually comes right off) and then cook on the other side for about 5 min. Take it off the grill and flake it up - then I make a bow tie pasta with pesto, the flaked salmon, and sometimes add grilled asparagus and red peppers. If your husband doesn't like pesto you could just do an olive oil/butter sauce with the pasta and maybe add some fresh herbs for flavor.

Sesame ginger marinade (store bought or home made) is also great with salmon.

Also, I used to work at Lone Star in college and their Sweet Bourbon Salmon was my first foray into any kind of fish other than Long John Silvers fish filet's, so I will always be partial to that. I don't remember the proportions but it was essentially Jack Daniels, Soy Sauce, PIneapple Juice and Brown Sugar for the marinade. Grilled and served with a baked sweet potato - YUM!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    Oh nom nom nom- Thank you so much for all the awesome ideas... now, to pick one!
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I cant stand fish.. but we often cater events where they want salmon. Most often chosen are: Citrus & dill Salmon (baked with sliced of lemon and lime and fresh dill) or Maple glazed (baked or grilled and brushed with maple syrup - the REAL stuff!)