Heavy lifting NSV-- goodbye scale, you sneaky liar!

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Love the fun way you wrote out your story :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Great story! You look fantastic. Can't wait for another update.

I'm going through lifting withdrawals while waiting for a sprained ankle to heal. Can't wait to get back to it.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Love it, congrats!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Yesss! Great work!!!
  • acurtis82711
    Options
    Great post! I really needed to read this today since I have been gaining quite a bit of weight from lifting heavy.
  • Best Forum Post I have read! I loved it! And you look awesome! And where in the Heee Haw Hell are ya with the tropical pic???:drinker:
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A very easy thing to do - I nearlly got caught myself this week - thought about not lifting at all and just running.

Although much heavier then you, and being male - I know my goal is to "Measure not Scale"

The weight means nothing to me, its the Fat....
  • aspired2lift
    aspired2lift Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Love the socks!!!!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options

^This! Congrats! :drinker:
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Best Forum Post I have read! I loved it! And you look awesome! And where in the Heee Haw Hell are ya with the tropical pic???:drinker:

Thank you so much for your kind words! That tropical pic was taken in the Phi Phi islands in Thailand. It was my "I have arrived!" shot. :P
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Great post! I really needed to read this today since I have been gaining quite a bit of weight from lifting heavy.

Thank you, glad it helped! Whenever I feel frustrated, I totally check the success forum as well for motivation. I'm so happy I get to be the motivator today instead of the motivatee!
  • SandraNancy
    Options

Hey, might as well make it an interesting read for everyone, right? Its gotten to the point where the scale is my nemesis, so I thought it was time we broke up.
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Great story! You look fantastic. Can't wait for another update.

I'm going through lifting withdrawals while waiting for a sprained ankle to heal. Can't wait to get back to it.

Ouch! Ankle sprains are no fun. I once had a doctor tell me that they hurt worse than a nice, clean break. Isn't that messed up? Hope you recover well, and soon.

I can't wait for another update, myself! I'm going to Costa Rica in 3 weeks for a Coast to Coast trip-- you basically bike, hike, kayak and white-water raft your way from one coast to the other. There's something very satisfying (and also terrifying) in knowing that I'll go 244 km in 9 days on my own steam power. Looking forward to posting after that and my next 6 weeks of lifting go by!
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    A very easy thing to do - I nearlly got caught myself this week - thought about not lifting at all and just running.

Although much heavier then you, and being male - I know my goal is to "Measure not Scale"

The weight means nothing to me, its the Fat....

It's amazing, isn't it, how you can get caught up in that silly little number? Whenever I start really obsessing about it (as nuts as this sounds) I think about my clothing sizes. I wear a size 6 pants and a size small shirt. I cannot possibly be fat if those are my sizes and I'm 5'7.

Lets say it together now... measure not scale. Measure not scale. Eventually it'll sink in!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great story. Could you, or others, point me to resources to begin lifting? I've taken Body Pump classes, and I like it, but I wouldn't say that was heavy. What , exactly, does heavy mean? Do machines count?
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Great story. Could you, or others, point me to resources to begin lifting? I've taken Body Pump classes, and I like it, but I wouldn't say that was heavy. What , exactly, does heavy mean? Do machines count?

I've been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program, and I love it. It's only 5 exercises, so easy to remember. Also, I like Strong Lifts because it doesn't use machines. I have weights, plates, a bench and barbell at home, so I'm ready to go whenever I want. Of course your local gym also likely has these things. :)

From what I understand, machines tend to focus on just one muscle, while free weights target a few at once. For example, as I'm doing a squat I'm not just using my thighs, I'm using my butt, and I'm using my core to stabilize, keep good form, etc. Using a few muscle groups at once means your work out is more efficient.

As to what is heavy-- I think that's relative. :) To me, the 65lb bench press I did earlier today was certainly heavy. To my boyfriend, that's a walk in the park. I think of heavy lifting as weights that I can't lift for endless reps in a row, and ones where I am increasing the amount of weight each week.

Hope that helps annathelu!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wow, you conveyed you're message perfectly, and you're looking great, well done!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    awesome story! and to hell with the scales!
  • spitzboop
    spitzboop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love this !!:heart::heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!