How to deal with unrealistic/controlling mom?!

Options

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Have an honest adult to adult conversation with her. Calmly tell her how her comments make you feel. She probably sees herself as being supportive and encouraging and doesn't realize that she's not coming across the way she is. Sounds like she really loves you and cares about you. Work it out.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am glad you recognize that your mother has an eating disorder and that the way she is treating you is NOT NORMAL. I would absolutely seek counseling (most colleges have therapists you can see that are included in your tuition and your mother will never have to know) to help you figure out ways to have healthy boundaries with your mother. Your mother may not only have an eating disorder, but also a personality disorder that is preventing her from having an appropriate relationship with you. Growing up trying to be pleasing and perfect for a mother or father is tough and I can't tell you how much therapy helped me become an independent, strong, confident woman. My mother was also controlling and instilled crazy ways of thinking about my body and food and always wanted me to think and do what she wanted. Breaking away from that is important but can be tough without expert help.

For whatever reason, your mother is not allowing you to fully individuate - become your own person - and is using extreme methods to try to control you. She may or may not be capable of recognizing this and changing, however YOU can develop more tools that will allow you to develop your own sense of who you are (not what your mother wants you to be) and to love and accept yourself just as you are. Sadly, it sounds like your mother can't do that for herself. But your job is not to be an emotional caretaker for your mother. Your job is to decide for yourself who you are, what you want in life, and how you want to live.

Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat further. Best of luck!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First you are an adult and you can say Mom, my diet is working great for me thank you for your concern, now let me tell you about all the other things going on in my life. There's got to be more going on that your Mom would probably love to hear about that doesn't involve your diet.

But you are an adult and if you don't want to discuss your diet with your mom than say it.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Right now I'm pretty happy with my weight, after a year of being on here I've gotten down to 120lbs at 5'6'' which I feel comfortable with...the struggle I'm having is with my mom!

Even though I'm 20 years old and away at college she is ALWAYS hassling me about only eating nutritious, healthy food (no IIFYM for her), quizzing me on my diet, and asking me if I'm on an exercise routine! She'll even call me sometimes to check and see what I'm having for dinner!
    It makes me feel like I'm not thin enough.... I know that my mom has (and really still does) struggle with a form of an eating disorder, she probably eats about 600 calories a day max with an hour workout every morning, but I don't want to end up as obsessed as she is!

I'm scared that with her constant pressure I'm going to turn out just like her! In all my years I've never seen her eat pizza, cake, cookies, french fries, heck even just eat the same meals as me! She lives off of low-cal yogurts and iceburg lettuce all day and claims that unhealthy food just tastes "gross" to her and questions me why I even like it...

I love my mom more than anything, but I don't want to develop an eating disorder too! How can I set some boundaries without hurting her feelings?

tough love goes both ways, got to set her straight without hinting around even if it hurts her feelings.

>>This
    As a Mom I can tell you that sometimes we get too protective and don't even realize that we are doing it. There is nothing wrong with telling her honestly what she is doing to you, in fact it may be really healthy for your relationship. Your Mom needs to come to terms with the fact that you are grown up and are perfectly capable of making you own decisions. If she is honest with herself she knows how her obsession with food has affected her life, ask her why she would want that for you. She probably doesn't even realize how she is hurting you. Don't be afraid if you hurt her feelings, she is your Mom, she loves you and she will get over it. Don't let her problem with food become yours. Good luck.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    At some point becoming an adult involves drawing some boundary lines with parents. Don't answer any questions about the subject. It's okay to say "I don't want to discuss this with you" and change the subject. With my mom it had to happen about medical stuff. I think I was around your age too.

I agree. Read some on setting boundaries. You'll find it helpful in lots of areas of your life. As a mom and someone twice your age, my opinion is that she's going overboard. She may not realize it though. Or maybe she's completely aware. Be gentle but firm with her.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, your mum is not eating healthily at all. The types of food you describe and the amount of calories she eats is so, so bad. There's nothing wrong with yoghurts and lettuce but if that's the limit of her diet she is not getting all the nutrients she needs.

Reading this I would say it's not your mums constant badgering, but the actual things she is saying to you that are wrong.

Yes mums are annoying, but you know what, I wish my mum could annoy me...she died 9 years ago.

Please DON'T listen to your mums advice.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I am glad you recognize that your mother has an eating disorder and that the way she is treating you is NOT NORMAL. ...

I identify with this response 100%.

OP, you're getting a great variety of possible perspectives on this issue, and I hope you know you're not at all alone in this experience. In terms of talking with your Mom right now, it's totally okay for you to tell her, calmly and respectfully, that her concerns are unwarranted and you'd rather not discuss the food/exercise aspects of your health as you feel it's become an unhealthy part of your relationship. Moving forward, I would definitely seek out help from a professional who can help you navigate this new dynamic in a healthy way. It can be tough to find the right person, but it definitely helps to have some sort of intermediary when figuring out how to deal with this sort of thing.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that your mother is making you feel that way. She probably is upset that you can be happy with your weight and image and she can't. You might want to do yourselves both a favor and get her to see some counseling for her eating disorder.

I don't know many moms that would be upset about their kid being happy about something.

I always had a good body image of myself. Nearly everyone else in my family was/is overweight. As a child, my mother always referred to me as "the skinny one" and it would piss me off because it was said with such disdain, I could tell my weight annoyed her. Once I got older and put on some weight, I mentioned being uncomfortable because I was heavier than ever (at that point) and I kid you not... I saw my mom smile, as if she was pleased that I finally "fit in" with the rest of the fat people in our family. So, no, not all moms are happy when their kids are happy.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    I'm really appreciating the feedback everyone! I guess the main struggle for me is I just want to live up to her expectations I think. Health and fitness have always been really important to her and she was a personal trainer for twenty years.and before that she did ballet so it's always been a part of her life .. She's always extremely pleased if I'm on a strict exercise routine... I think the hard part is trying to make her happy while myself realizing I may never live up to her expectations, and just learning to be okay with that.

Oh, honey... as others have mentioned, be respectful toward your mother, but you CAN'T live your life to make her happy and fulfill her expectations of you. It's your life. You have to be happy and fulfill your own expectations of your life. I'm 40 years old and don't speak to my mother now because she was so controlling. I tried to do what made her happy and it made me miserable. (Not food related... relationship-wise.) You NEED to put your foot down and set some boundaries now, before it escalates and becomes too late to fix your relationship.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    ETA: I don't think it's appropriate for people who have lost parents and have certain regrets to be transferring their emotions to this situation. Yes, your feelings are valid, but what the OP's mother is doing is not healthy, not appropriate and should not be tolerated. It's not "just what mum's do" at all.

Thank you for this! I totally agree!
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm really appreciating the feedback everyone! I guess the main struggle for me is I just want to live up to her expectations I think. Health and fitness have always been really important to her and she was a personal trainer for twenty years.and before that she did ballet so it's always been a part of her life .. She's always extremely pleased if I'm on a strict exercise routine... I think the hard part is trying to make her happy while myself realizing I may never live up to her expectations, and just learning to be okay with that.

One of the good parts of becoming an adult is that you don't have to live up to anyone's expectations except your own. If you are happy with your weight and the way you are eating, that is what is important. As far as mom, you could just tell her to bugger off as some have suggested, but I think a better way might be to just agree with her and then do what you want. Cherish the conversations you have with your mother, no matter how frustrated they may make you. There will come a day when she won't be there to have even those conversations, and you will miss them. Best of luck, you sound like an intelligent woman who knows the right thing to do.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Do not engage in any conversations about weight/food. Any explaining you try to do will must confirm that she has the right to badger you about your food choices. You will never, ever satisfy her, so don't even try. Any comment she makes, just change the subject and move on. She can't have the conversation if you don't participate.

Trust me, I have a controlling mom, and this is the only thing that works. Do. Not. Engage.
  • Unenthusiastic
    Unenthusiastic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done, but I would not talk to her about meals/calories/exercise. Every time she brings it up you have to change the subject, and if she brings it up again, and again, you have to change the subject again, and again. And again. You're 20 years old and at college, you have things that go on in your life other than food and exercise. Say something like, "oh, I want to tell you about my morning class, we're reading XYZ and it's really interesting." And if she says, "what are you eating? Are you still eating dessert, are you working out?" Say "well, I'd rather talk to you about X."

It'll take a while, and it'll be frustrating and tough. But you're an adult, although your mom sees you as the kid that you were. And it is SO important to set these boundaries now, because otherwise these are the same conversations that you'll be having with her in a year, and 5 years, and 20 years. And 20 years is a long time to be having conversations that stress you out. (Also, I'd imagine that conversations about every morsel eaten aren't that fun or interesting)

seems like she has an disordered relationship with food, and that shows up in her conversations with you. I'm sure she means well and thinks she's helping, but having conversations that are interrogations about your eating and exercise are stressing you out and are not what you need.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Internet people... Please be careful when diagnosing Mom with an eating disorder, or jumping to conclusions about Mom's problems or psychological issues or malicious intentions or anything like that. OP didn't ask for that, and most likely it would be hugely inappropriate and damaging for her to approach this situation with anything other than a good old-fashioned adult conversation. Adult children since the beginning of time have had to do this with their parents, and parents have had to let go and let their kids be their own people. It's not easy, especially when the "kid" is a brand new adult.

Signed,
    A mother whose kids have probably told their friends she's controlling and annoying more than once
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ETA: I don't think it's appropriate for people who have lost parents and have certain regrets to be transferring their emotions to this situation. Yes, your feelings are valid, but what the OP's mother is doing is not healthy, not appropriate and should not be tolerated. It's not "just what mum's do" at all.

Thank you for this! I totally agree!

Agreed 100%. This is not at all in the realm of normal or healthy.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that's normal as some other mom's on here seem to think. The time to install good eating habits is when they're small and the time to encourage them to stick with it is when they're teenagers. When they're in college I think there will be plenty of other things to nag them about that are more important than their eating habits, especially if it's a daily thing. Does your mom live alone? Does she have any hobbies? Are you an only child? I would just recommend you be honest with her and tell her you've suffered from body image in the past, you're in good shape now, and that all her checking up on your diet is making you unhappy and paranoid about yourself. Tell her there are plenty of things you'd love to talk to her about, but food is not one of them. Make it clear and if she tries to talk about it against your wishes remind her again you will not be talking about this. I think you can only hide behind the "I'm their mom, so it is my right to nag you" shield for so long. When they're adults, sure, you can still nag....but they don't have to listen. They're adults now and they have every right to say "MOM! I'm not talking about this!"

Be honest, be firm, and be the independent woman that would make your mom proud.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Internet people... Please be careful when diagnosing Mom with an eating disorder, or jumping to conclusions about Mom's problems or psychological issues or malicious intentions or anything like that. OP didn't ask for that, and most likely it would be hugely inappropriate and damaging for her to approach this situation with anything other than a good old-fashioned adult conversation. Adult children since the beginning of time have had to do this with their parents, and parents have had to let go and let their kids be their own people. It's not easy, especially when the "kid" is a brand new adult.

Signed,
    A mother whose kids have probably told their friends she's controlling and annoying more than once

I disagree. As someone who has suffered from mental health issues, and at one time needed to be near enough forced to get medical help for it.... yes if someone has concerns about another person's mental health, then yes they SHOULD be advised to seek appropriate professional help for that person. If they're not mentally ill and it's just normal behaviour, then the professional will simply reassure them it's nothing to worry about. But if they do need help, then it can make the difference between someone suffering for the rest of their life from a debilitating, emotionally painful and crippling illness versus getting help, treatment and being either cured or learning how to live and cope with the illness much better, i.e. getting their life back.

If you're suffering from mental health problems, sometimes it can be really hard to realise that your way of thinking is totally messed up, and really hard to recognise that you need help. Very often it does require a concerned person in your life to push you into getting treatment, or make you realise that your behaviour, feelings or ways of thinking are totally messed up. The OP is concerned about her mother's physical and mental health, and from what she says of her mother's behaviour, it's not normal. I can see why she's concerned, both about her mother's relationship and in terms of looking for a way to deal with the impact her mother's behaviour is having on her own life. The worst that will happen if she seeks professional help and there's nothing wrong with her mother is that the professional will tell her that, and tell her to give her mother a break, or maybe give her advice about how to improve the relationship from her end. And if her mother is mentally ill, it could give her her life back.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Signed,

I disagree. As someone who has suffered from mental health issues, and at one time needed to be near enough forced to get medical help for it.... yes if someone has concerns about another person's mental health, then yes they SHOULD be advised to seek appropriate professional help for that person. If they're not mentally ill and it's just normal behaviour, then the professional will simply reassure them it's nothing to worry about. But if they do need help, then it can make the difference between someone suffering for the rest of their life from a debilitating, emotionally painful and crippling illness versus getting help, treatment and being either cured or learning how to live and cope with the illness much better, i.e. getting their life back.

If you're suffering from mental health problems, sometimes it can be really hard to realise that your way of thinking is totally messed up, and really hard to recognise that you need help. Very often it does require a concerned person in your life to push you into getting treatment, or make you realise that your behaviour, feelings or ways of thinking are totally messed up. The OP is concerned about her mother's physical and mental health, and from what she says of her mother's behaviour, it's not normal. I can see why she's concerned, both about her mother's relationship and in terms of looking for a way to deal with the impact her mother's behaviour is having on her own life. The worst that will happen if she seeks professional help and there's nothing wrong with her mother is that the professional will tell her that, and tell her to give her mother a break, or maybe give her advice about how to improve the relationship from her end. And if her mother is mentally ill, it could give her her life back.

Disagree away. I said this because it's not right that people responding to one Internet post who have zero knowledge of the relationship other than the OP's one post to diagnose mental illness and recommend treatment. Those who recommended discussing this like an adult were spot on.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Signed,

Disagree away. I said this because it's not right that people responding to one Internet post who have zero knowledge of the relationship other than the OP's one post to diagnose mental illness and recommend treatment. Those who recommended discussing this like an adult were spot on.

I didn't see one single person diagnosing anyone or prescribing anything or telling the OP to administer any kind of treatment on her mother.

My main issue is that there's a huge stigma around mental illness that doesn't exist with most physical illness (although it does for some that are less well understood like CFS or similar) which makes people hold back from getting help advice and treatment for themselves or for others. If someone suspects that a family member has a mental illness, then advising them to get help for it does not equal diagnosing them or recommending treatment. No-one can know if that person really has a mental illness or not unless they are a doctor. But if it's suspected then that IS reason enough for that person to seek advice and help for that person.... if their suspicion is unfounded then it's the job of the doctor to determine that and tell the person there's nothing to worry about. Same as for physical illness. But if that person is ill, then it's essential that they DO seek help for that person.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Seriously, 'tis just what Moms do. She is concerned for your health because a mother's worse fear is losing her child.

If she's concerned for her daughter's health then she should lighten up on the diet inquisition, since eating disorders have the highest morbidity rate of all mental illnesses. That should be the last thing she wants to instill in her child.

OP, you can't change anyone else's behaviour but you can set boundaries for what you will and will not tolerate. If you really don't want to discuss your eating, simply say that you don't wish to talk about it and change the subject. If she persists, or steers the conversation back to food, repeat the same statement.