Milk, Almond milk, or Coconut milk? What do you prefer?

Options

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/24/my-favourite-homemade-almond-milk-step-by-step-photos/
    This is pretty good. I dont follow the exact technique shown here but its a good point of reference to start making your own. I put about a tbsp. of coconut oil in the batches I make.

I make my own almond milk as well. It's cheaper, less container waste, and no carrageenan ( of which there is apparently some controversy over the safety) Plus, I can keep bulk almonds in my freezer, which is easier for me storage wise than the boxes or cartons of milk. It only takes about 15 minutes to make. I usually double to recipe below and blend in two separate batches.
    - here's the recipe I use:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/homemade-almondmilk?cid=fbgec
    Some people add 1 tsp arrowroot powder to the blender to thicken it.
    Some folks only use 3 cups water ( versus 4) per cup of almonds so it comes out a little thicker
    You can add a tsp of vanilla if you like vanilla flavoring ( or any other flavoring you might like)
    You can also add 1 medjool date to the blender (per 1 cup almond 'batch') if you like it sweetened
    I don't add anything, because we like it plain.

I dehydrate the almond pulp in the oven ( spread it out on a cookie sheet ( I put it on top of parchment paper) and bake at 250 for a few hours, until dried. Remember to take it out of the oven ( I forgot one time ) Once its dried, I run it through the blender to make a fine powder. I use it in recipes then for all kinds of things. I store it in the fridge but you could freeze it too.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk for everything. tried soy when i found i was intollerant to cows milk but couldn't get on with it. unsweetened almond milk is brilliant for what I need, got the other half converted too which is even better, and of the other non-dairy milks, coconut is pretty nice and also rice milk isn't too bad-very distinctive flavour but i can live with it if no almond or coconut is available.
  • bcnewell27
    bcnewell27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I still prefer non fat milk. I tried the lite almond milk and it was good with my cereal and over my blackberries but that's about all I'd use it for aside from making oatmeal. The Coconut milk (original) was sweeter than the almond milk and I didn't like it at all. I tried it in my baked oatmeal and loved the extra sweetness it gave to that so I'd probably only use it for cooking if I made brownies or something but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis. My husband didn't like the coconut milk either, and he said that if you don't think about the almond milk as milk its pretty good. It grew on him. Sooooo all in all I'm still buying regular milk for my toddler, but I'll also use almond milk for blackberries, oatmeal, and smoothies on a regular basis.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Silk makes a light vanilla that has half the sugar
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned 1% milk. Way more protein too.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't like neither. Except for rice milk. Rice Dream Original is the best.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like both Almond and Coconut but my husband likes Almond more so I usually buy that. I don't really just drink it, I use it in recipes.
  • dcynthiafret
    dcynthiafret Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, even though I am trying to lose weight, I would not give up my whole organic non homogenized milk. Just trying not to over do.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I like the unsweetened blend of almond milk and coconut milk best.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love Almond milk, but it separates pretty badly in tea and coffee so I use regular semi skimmed for that.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to drink a glass of milk, really; maybe once or twice a year if I decide to dip cookies into it :)
    I rarely eat cereal but if I do, I will use 1% milk and I use a splash of it in my daily coffee. It's what my kids and husband drink.

For smoothies I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk, depending on what's cheaper at Costco :)
  • brittsway
    brittsway Posts: 12
    Options
    I will drink cow's milk when I have the option. My son is allergic to dairy so we had him on soy (which I can't stand) and are switching him to almond. Love the almond light vanilla in my smoothies!
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is good too - I like it on oatmeal and in smoothies.
    I also like the combination of coconut milk and almond milk. The coconut milk adds a creamier texture
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Good ol' 2% milk.

I do like Almond Milk though as well, just prefer normal milk more.
  • jessica51202
    jessica51202 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    coconut milk in my opinion is NOT good lol

vanilla almond milk on the other hand...super yum!
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    2% cow's milk for me. Love it just by the glass or in my cereal. I like whole cow's milk too, but only have it occasionally now. I don't care for skim milk, way too watery and flavorless. I like my milk to have 'body' to it.

Haven't tried coconut milk yet, maybe I'd like it, who knows. But I personally don't care for almond milk. It just tastes like slightly flavored water to me. *shrugs*
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't use any milk. I'm allergic to cow's milk and soy and so I just didn't drink anything. I don't eat cereal.

I have tried coconut *water* (not milk, I don't know what coconut milk is) and as a drink by itself to aid in rehydration after a workout, like regular water, coconut water is pretty good.

Coconut water is the water inside the coconut. Great for dehydration.

Coconut milk or coconut cream is made from the white flesh of the coconut.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk as a beverage but I use cream.

Coconut cream is nice on occasion.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love cow's milk...
    I love almond milk (all varieties and combinations of, vanilla, chocolate, plain, sweetened, and unsweetened, ... sweet chocolate almond milk is so strange but *delicious* :)

I HATE soy milk.
    I HATE coconut.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get away from dairy because I don't want to support the veal industry and the poor conditions cattle live in at commercial farms.

The absolute best alternative that I've tried so far has been Silk almond milk + fiber and protein. Coconut milk is okay, but you have to make sure you shake it really, really well every time you pour it.