Low(er) calorie pizza recipes (UK)

Options

Replies

• ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have your favorite pizza delivered, and work the calories in for the day...even if it means an extra workout, or very low calorie lunch.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've used the Stone Fire - Authentic Tandoori Naan Flatbread, 0.5 naan tandoori; 1/2 serving of the flat bread is 190 cals., but you watch out for the sodium...it's a little high for that brand. love, love, love it tho. I sometimes switch out between pizza sauces to white pizza and also Tika Masala (curry blend) for the pizza base YUM!

Another great idea :) I never thought of Naan bread either. Thanks for sharing.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Friday nights are pizza night in our house, and have been for about 5 years. i only ever make homemade dough so i think you can trust that i speak form experience here.

me and wife are on 1200 cals so need a dough that aint gonna break the bank. We also have 2 kids to feed. It is simple;

Normal plain flour (bread flour is best but dont sweat it) 500g
    Tap water 325ml
    1 sachet of yeast (or a teaspoon if out a tub)
    tbsp of salt (keep away from yeast when putting in)

Mix till its soft and pliable (a good 5-10 mins)

I have tried every permutation going to man over the years, adding oil, yoghurt, cauliflower, spinach, more water, less water. trust me when i see it, this is lovely, tasty, foolproof and about as good as it gets calorie wise. About 450-500 per pizza depending on flour.

leave to prove for a few hours till doubled in size

divide into 4 pieces, roll out thinly and put on tray

Dont fanny about with sauces, you want it quick and simple, a mug full of pasatta mixed with tbsp of tomato puree to thicken, spread a couple of tbsps on each pizza then add your toppings. If you go all veggie as we normally do you are looking at 600 cals for a large 12 inch pizza.

Do you need cheese on it? - i never bother on mine, i have even stopped having mozzarella.

Enjoy ☺

Thanks so much. I have a ton of Passata in the cabinet, so will definitely try this :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I love pizza- don't know how I would cope in life without it XD. The quick cheat I use is to buy the cheapest supermarket own brand pizza I can find. Something like Asda Smartprice or Tesco Value cheese and tomato pizzas. There is never very much cheese on them so full size pizza is normally between 600 and 700 calories. Then I just chuck on my own toppings, I'm vegetarian so it's normally just pineapple and sweetcorn or if I'm feeling indulgent some Quorn pepperoni. It's probably not the healthiest option but sometimes after a long shift needs must! XD

We are guilty of this too - although it's the ScotMid or Tesco near us. We are trying to eat more naturally and have more control of what we put into our bodies...but sometimes this is the way to go.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    This is the best and most healthy pizza crust recipe i've found, it's super LOW FAT and amazingly crispy, really you'll enjoy it and it's only around 300 calories for a 12 inch pizza.
    http://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/pepperoni-pizza/

Or you can always use a large tortilla and top it with whatever you want, it's works pretty amazing too.

how can this be 300 calories? 187gram flour, there is over 300 calories in just 100 gram, also a tbsp of olive oil is around 100 calories.

This is before you get started on the toppings!!!

I am calling this about a 7-800 calorie monster!

I forgot to clarify something, from that recipe i actrually can make 2 12" pizzas! So each crust is like 327 calories and i susbstitue 1 tbsp of olive oil for only 1 tsp, i even tried it without any oil and it turned perfect! :)
    And with toppings it goes from 550 - 800 cals which is awesome for a 12" inch pizza full of cheese

Will check it out - thanks so much :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Hi I make pizza using -

1x Warburtons Square-ish Wrap
    Double concentrated tomato puree for pizza sauce
    sweetcorn
    tin of tuna
    peppers
    mushrooms
    spring onion
    red onion

My partner is a vegetarian so sometimes put Quorn meatballs on top or Quorn ham e.t.c.

The Warburtons Wrap alone has -
    Kcal - 159
    Fat - 2.9g
    Carbs - I think around 20-25g will have to check out the nutritional info . . .

I use Laughing cow extra light cheese triangles on the side of my pizza and cut and dip into it. Sometimes I use Mozzerlla or Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Extra Light Cheddar Cheese. Also Leerdammer Light cheese slices. Grill in the oven for about 5 mins

This looks like a great one if we have no time to make our own crust - thanks :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I make a thin base that does the trick
    2 cups plain flour
    half cup water
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tsp baking soda
    pinch salt
    mix it by hand ,roll it with the rolling pen as thin as u can and bake for 5 mins till golden,the put toppings, i use tomato pasata,vegs and cheese and voila la! It makes two medium pizzas,everyone who has try it loves them!

Thank you :) Looks really easy and definitely a fab option. Will need to feed this into the recipe builder to see how many calories it has.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    if you want a super healthy pizza here is a recipe i use it two servings and only 479 each serving.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10117/superhealthy-pizza

or this site shows 15 pizza recipes all under 400 calories.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20419726,00.html

hope these help

Thanks so much....yay for 15 pizzas under 400 calories.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I go to pizza express for the 500 cal ones or have half and Italian one from tesco.

I used to cook... life happened! ;)
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use and it is really easy, only 431 per serving and that is including the sauce and cheese.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Have your favorite pizza delivered, and work the calories in for the day...even if it means an extra workout, or very low calorie lunch.

Thanks so much - we've probably had take away pizza once in 5 years. This is due to the convenience of small shops around us that sell them. Good idea though - I do this with other treats like ice cream.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just go to ASDA and buy their lowest calorie own brand pizza then add more chopped veg on top, sometimes a bit more meat like sliced turkey breast and a touch more cheese. Easy, quick dinner and reasonably low cal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Well you can always make a cauliflower pizza crust :sick:
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What about a cauliflower pizza? I entered the below recipe into the recipe database and I'm seeing that if you make one pizza and split it between the two of you it's less than 200 calories. It sounds really good, may be dinner tonight! You could add some grilled chicken if you needed or wanted some more protein.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cauliflower-pizza
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    http://www.theeconomicaleater.com/2013/01/no-yeast-pizza-dough.html?m=1

I made this dough. It's a proper dough, not cauliflower, just without yeast. It was really nice!
    I added some quark for extra protein and had it topped with chopped tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, quorn chicken and spinach +50g of cheddar. Half of it came to 680 calories and it was a pretty big portion!
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Warburtons - Easy Roll Wrap - Soft Brown is what I use as a base then used tescos stir in pasta sauce as the topping with all my veggies and 35g of cheese just under 500 calories for a whole one thats what I had for my tea but added some ham as well take a look at my diary its open x
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    wow..that sounds amazing! thanks for sharing and congrats on the weight you have lost!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I started experimenting with using Cauliflower as a replacement for pasta and bread. I have found that a Pizza Crust made from Cauliflower to be better than the real thing.

You can find the recipe on line. If you can't, let me know. I make it once a week now.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I still make the dough as you would normally make pizza dough (flour, yeast, oil, water and a sprinkle of polenta/semolina to stop it sticking to the baking sheet), I just roll it out thinner (think pound-coin thick, it rises in the oven!) and put a lot of toppings on so I'm getting more of my important macros (protein & fat) for my calories.

Cheese-wise I go for half grated cheddar (usually Cathedral City Lighter) and half grated half-fat Mozzarella (Tesco's own, generally).

Sauce, I just make a basic tomato sauce. Onion, celery, garlic, a teaspoon of muscovado, basil, oregano, fennel seeds & a tin of chopped tomatoes. Simmer it 'til it's thick then blend it. You don't need much to spread on the dough. 2-3 tbsp.

My favourite toppings are chicken, olives, mushrooms, and pesto.

As a further tip, you can pre-make pizzas by par-baking the base and then adding your toppings, then wrapping in cling film and foil, then freezing on a tray (so they're flat). Bake from the freezer like you would a pizza from the supermarket.